Movie jpg's Not Showing Correctly

When I play a movie,  at the bottom left of screen sometimes the movie jpg shows and other times only a green camera icon shows.

What I have found is that it only applies to my movies copied in ISO form, but not in MKV or AVI form they show the movie jpg.

The green camera icon must be in firmware because it is not in Surreals  theme (Images folder) .

I have tried deleting the .wd_tv folder, clearing media library etc. but no different.

I am using firware V1.04.12

Any ideas?

Cheers

This is probably due to the firmware handling thumbs differently for different file types.

The reason that it shows up but is not in the Surreal theme is because the theme has incomplete info.  This is true for all themes though because the only way to have a complete theme is to build it off the most current version of the OSD (Mochi theme).  And since WD has not released the most current OSD and the last version that is available is for the HUB’s 2.08 firmware, there’s no way to know what changes in the theme data has been made since then (the GPL only contains the Legacy theme and is incomplete as well).

However, as I haven’t tested I can’t say weather this is an actual issue with the firmware, or due to missing data in the theme.  You can test however, switch back to the Mochi theme then play your iso, if it still doesn’t show a thumb, then it is a firmware issue.  If it does, then it is missing data in the theme you are using.

Tinwarble wrote:

This is probably due to the firmware handling thumbs differently for different file types.

However, as I haven’t tested I can’t say weather this is an actual issue with the firmware, or due to missing data in the theme.  You can test however, switch back to the Mochi theme then play your iso, if it still doesn’t show a thumb, then it is a firmware issue.  If it does, then it is missing data in the theme you are using.> Thanks Tinwarble, I have tried your suggestion and reverted to Mochi theme, but problem is still the same.> Should I update the firmware or look in the  XML files, all data was generated with ThumbGen?> Cheers> * * *

ritaben wrote:> Thanks Tinwarble, I have tried your suggestion and reverted to Mochi theme, but problem is still the same.> Should I update the firmware or look in the  XML files, all data was generated with ThumbGen?> Cheers

No, it doesn’t matter.  You can update (if you’re not running the latest FW), but it won’t make a difference.  As I said, the issue is because we don’t have the OSD for the latest firmware (actually no SMP FW) so there’s no way to change that if it has to do with difference in the current version of the OSD and the version that the themes are built off of.  That or the Surreal theme hasn’t included a default png for DVD playback (there’s a difference in theme xmls & images for DVD/ISO playback and other video format playback).  But that isn’t why you are getting hte default thumbnail displaying instead of the coverart.

Also, it has nothing to do with TG, if you are getting a thumbnail in the view, but not the playback, then you have the correct thumbnail, just the firmware isn’t handling it correctly which is why it is diplaying the default thumbnail and not the coverart.

There is really nothing that you can do to fix this issue and you’ll just have to hope that  WD fixes this in later FW updates.

Tinwarble wrote:

ritaben wrote:> Thanks Tinwarble, I have tried your suggestion and reverted to Mochi theme, but problem is still the same.> Should I update the firmware or look in the  XML files, all data was generated with ThumbGen?> Cheers

No, it doesn’t matter.  You can update (if you’re not running the latest FW), but it won’t make a difference.  As I said, the issue is because we don’t have the OSD for the latest firmware (actually no SMP FW) so there’s no way to change that if it has to do with difference in the current version of the OSD and the version that the themes are built off of.  That or the Surreal theme hasn’t included a default png for DVD playback (there’s a difference in theme xmls & images for DVD/ISO playback and other video format playback).  But that isn’t why you are getting hte default thumbnail displaying instead of the coverart.

Also, it has nothing to do with TG, if you are getting a thumbnail in the view, but not the playback, then you have the correct thumbnail, just the firmware isn’t handling it correctly which is why it is diplaying the default thumbnail and not the coverart.

There is really nothing that you can do to fix this issue and you’ll just have to hope that  WD fixes this in later FW updates.

So does this mean that everybody using the SMP has this problem with ISO files?

Cheers

Hi,

I don’t believe it is a fundamental issue with ISO files per se. I’ve got ISO files on a HD connected to the back port of the SMP and the thumb image is ‘usually’ displayed. Note that i state ‘usually’ as I have seen the green camera icon that you refer to, on occaision. My HD is disconnected at present, but I’ll be able to re-run some tests later later.

I have Bluray as well as DVD ISOs that I can test.

@ritaben,

Ok, so I just did a test on ISO’s.  So here’s a question, when you see the default icon is it just when you start the movie?

Try waiting until the movie starts, then press the “OK” button to bring up the play bar and see if the coverart is displaying then.  If it does then this is just a time delay in the coverart actually displaying (which with my tests seems to be the true issue).

But as for why it shows the default icon (the green camera) from the Mochi theme is showing, that is because it is missing from the Surreal theme.

I have not looked into this to see if was just left out of the theme, or if it’s not there because it’s an unknown factor.  Because there are missing images from the OSD for DVD playback  like the DVD play status icons (they can’t be changed because they aren’t in the OSD), which what I believe is why it is showing that icon.

Tinwarble wrote:

@ritaben,

Ok, so I just did a test on ISO’s.  So here’s a question, when you see the default icon is it just when you start the movie?

Try waiting until the movie starts, then press the “OK” button to bring up the play bar and see if the coverart is displaying then.  If it does then this is just a time delay in the coverart actually displaying (which with my tests seems to be the true issue).

But as for why it shows the default icon (the green camera) from the Mochi theme is showing, that is because it is missing from the Surreal theme.

I have not looked into this to see if was just left out of the theme, or if it’s not there because it’s an unknown factor.  Because there are missing images from the OSD for DVD playback  like the DVD play status icons (they can’t be changed because they aren’t in the OSD), which what I believe is why it is showing that icon.

Hi Tinwarble,

I did what you suggested regards letting the movie play then press ok, it again only showed the green camera icon for ISO files, and what I also noted was that the play bar for the ISO files was the standard Mochi Play bar, but for the AVI & MKV files it was the play bar from the Surreal theme that I am using.

Cheers

Well, I’m not really sure what to tell you as far as the coverart not showing up, because I can’t duplicate it.

However, I do know that the Surreal theme doesn’t have the “dvd_navigation.xml” that is required to modify the playback bar for DVD/ISO playback. 

As I stated, DVD/ISO playback is handled differently than other video formats.  DVD/ISO playback is controled by “dvd_navigation.xml” as where other video formats (mkv, mp4, avi, etc.) are handled by “video_run.xml”.

That the “dvd_navigation.xml” is missing from the Surreal theme shouldn’t matter, (although it woudn’t dispaly correctly) because the same playback bar image is used for both, that is unless there have been changes in the newer firmware where it now uses different images for both.  But since the newer OSD from the newer firmware isn’t available to look at I can’t tell.  In either event, the Surreal theme needs a modified version of this xml to correctly display the playback bar.

If it is different, then that would explain why you are seeing the default playback bar, because the Surreal theme is missing it and since it is missing it the firmware will default to the default theme xmls. 

I do know that in my theme I do have that xml and my playback bar that I designed is displayed.

1 Like

Tinwarble wrote:

Well, I’m not really sure what to tell you as far as the coverart not showing up, because I can’t duplicate it.

However, I do know that the Surreal theme doesn’t have the “dvd_navigation.xml” that is required to modify the playback bar for DVD/ISO playback. 

As I stated, DVD/ISO playback is handled differently than other video formats.  DVD/ISO playback is controled by “dvd_navigation.xml” as where other video formats (mkv, mp4, avi, etc.) are handled by “video_run.xml”.

That the “dvd_navigation.xml” is missing from the Surreal theme shouldn’t matter, (although it woudn’t dispaly correctly) because the same playback bar image is used for both, that is unless there have been changes in the newer firmware where it now uses different images for both.  But since the newer OSD from the newer firmware isn’t available to look at I can’t tell.  In either event, the Surreal theme needs a modified version of this xml to correctly display the playback bar.

If it is different, then that would explain why you are seeing the default playback bar, because the Surreal theme is missing it and since it is missing it the firmware will default to the default theme xmls. 

I do know that in my theme I do have that xml and my playback bar that I designed is displayed.

Tinwarble, Thanks for all your help.

I upgraded to latest firmware and problem seems to have been fixed.

I say seems to be because now the movie jpg shows up but after a lag as you suggested.

Once again thanks.

Cheers