Most favored video format

I’m wondering what folks think is the most favored (stable) video format for the TV LIVE. I can convert from any to any format and was wondering where to spend the effort.

thanks.

I have never had a problem with .avi files.  Occasionally an .mkv gives me a little grief.  .vob are usually OK for me as well.  mp4’s are OK as well but are not always perfect.  They may need remuxing so they play on the WDTV Live SMP when downloaded from the internet.  This is true for ABC iView files downloaded in Australia.

I prefer mkv for best quality. avi would be my second choice.

This is really dependent on what you want.

If you want good quaility, yet save space, then use Handbrake to convert to .mkv (this takes time to do but is well worth it).  If space is not an issue, then use MKVtoolnix to covert to .mkv (this is the fastest way but it 's a 1:1 encoding so you end up with the same size out as you start with).

If you want menus, then .iso is your best bet.

1 Like

So… If the file is already compressed (~4GB for a 2.5 hr 1080 movie) then it seems the best quality would come from a 1:1 conversion, correct?

Yes, if the file is already compressed then you will want to do a 1:1.

However, the best would be to do a uncompressed rip (DVD9 or BD50), then use Handbrake to encode to mkv.  If you do a compressed ripped then encode at 1:1, then you end up with a file that’s usually somewhere around 4GB or larger.

If you do a uncompressed rip, then use Handbrake to encode you can get it your file size down to around 2GB or smaller, depending on your settings, and you end up with a file with about the same quality.

Downloading and using MKVtoolnix was a snap. Unfortunately, the .mkv file that resulted still crashes the Live SMP. Right now, the little box is playing anything except what is or used to be an .mp4.

I might try googling a free mp4 to avi converter, several sites said that MKVtoolinx does this, but I don’t see the option in the “Output” side. Winxdvd has the capability, but to convert HD, you have to upgrade to the $30. If anyone has good reviews of the winxdvd tool, I’ll upgrade, but I’d like some confirmation first.

Brian

use alltoavi

Did you try turn of the header compression when you used MKVtoolnix?  It can mess up the encode, especially if it’s already a compressed video.

When you add the video, under the “Tracks, chapter and tags” click on the video track, then on the “Extra Options” tab click on the “Compression” box and select “none”.

Then mux the video and see if it plays any better.

Might be the file itself. VLC plays the mp4 AND the mkv re-mux flawless. both files crash the SMP. They also have NO sound on the Live SMP if that is a clue.

Not sure why it would work flawlessly on VLC and not on the Live. Guess I’ll just have to stick with native mkv files.

Brian

Bmoody12345 wrote:

Might be the file itself. VLC plays the mp4 AND the mkv re-mux flawless. both files crash the SMP. They also have NO sound on the Live SMP if that is a clue.

Not sure why it would work flawlessly on VLC and not on the Live. Guess I’ll just have to stick with native mkv files.

Brian

Forget the fact that it plays well on VLC. Software and hardware are completely different things. VLC is designed to play broken files but hardware is not so forgiving.

Yeah, VLC will play a lot of files that you can’t necessarily play on the SMP or the HUB.  Just because they play flawlessly on your PC doesn’t mean that you have a good encoded file.  And if it plays fine as a mp4 it should play fine as a mkv, the problem is usually something that is set or not set when you mux the file.

If you didn’t try re-encoding with header compression turned off, then I would try that.  After all, it only takes a few minutes to do and if it plays fine after that then you’ll know what was causing the problem.

I followed the instructions you gave. Still no luck. The AVI converters are too slow, I might try running one over night. AlltoAVI is also not completely intuitive, but I think I got it started.

Reading another thread, another site, I find that the WD SMP does not do 5.1 ch surround audio. This started me thinking. The mp4 files that I’m having trouble with have 6 ch audio, could this be my problem? This seems to make sense because the files begin to play, but with no sound. They eventually stop video playback as well.

Strange observation. My SMP sometimes will not see my NAS through the “video” selection on the menu. If I choose “files” it works better. I like the interface better as well.

Brian

I get 5.1 audio via optical just fine

What does via optical mean?

optical output from smp to my surround sound

Bmoody12345 wrote:

Reading another thread, another site, I find that the WD SMP does not do 5.1 ch surround audio. This started me thinking. The mp4 files that I’m having trouble with have 6 ch audio, could this be my problem? This seems to make sense because the files begin to play, but with no sound. They eventually stop video playback as well.

Strange observation. My SMP sometimes will not see my NAS through the “video” selection on the menu. If I choose “files” it works better. I like the interface better as well.

Brian

I’m not sure who told you, or where you read that it won’t do 5.1, but it should play AC3 5.1 just fine.  There have been reported problems with AAC 5.1, but that is just bug, and 6 ch audio is 5.1.  Do your mp4’s have AAC or AC3 audio encoded?

Also, I don’t think you have been asked this, but, did you encode the files yourself?

I did not encode the mp4’s. They were shared files.

Audio Specs:
Audio Codec And Type: Advanced Audio Codec (AAC) | MPEG-4 (mp4a)
Writing Application: Nero AAC codec
Format profile: LC
Bitrate Mode: Variable
Bitrate: 317 Kbps
Maximum Bitrate: 335 Kbps
Sample Rate: 48.0 KHz
Channel Count: 6 Ch - Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE

as Tinwarble said, there have been reported issues with AAC, try converting to AC3 and they should play fine