More than one player, can I have the Media Library on both - definitive answer?

I now have 2 WDTV Live SMPs on my network at home.

Whenever this has been asked in the past I’ve seen different answers.

I’ve named them differently.

Can I have the Media Library turned to ‘ON’ on bith units and have the same folders in both libraries, or will there be clashes?

Many thanks.

Steve W

Yes you can have the media library running on both units. I have been doing it for a year. You can do the same network share in both units(wired network) to a server, or standalone PC. I only do manual scanning of my network share I do not let the SMB go out to the internet and load what every. I load my network share manually using ThumbGen to create the movie sheets, jpgs etc. I manually scan each device after loading new content into my shares. The manual network share must be to scan twice, the first time the unit scans for a very short time (around a minute or less) this scan doesn’t bring in the new material. Second scan we indeed totally rescan your network share. For me with around 700 videos an 500 sound flies it takes about 5-8 minutes. This part is only a guess but folders .wd_tv that the units place out on your network probably need to be overwritten as they contain cache info from previous scans, these up date as you scan.

Cheers.

I’ll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

Steve W

Coolest thing about 2 devices sharing the library is that you can resume watching the video on either player.

morbidz wrote:
Coolest thing about 2 devices sharing the library is that you can resume watching the video on either player.

This. It makes it work similar to a shared xbmc database with what you’re watching since it saves or uses fules in the same locations. Now if we could get a wdtv smp/hub with similar capabilties to download new themes for the device via repo’s mmmm.