More Network Drops

My WDTV HD Live keeps dropping network connections post and prior to the update. I have it set up with an assigned IP address using my Linksys E1000 Router. It does have a 2tb drive hooked into it and resides in one room (ROOM A). In the other room (ROOM B) I have a WDTV HD Live Plus with a 2tb drive as well. That drive (ROOM B) is always visible on my network and never crashes or becomes unseen by my computer (OS X.5). The device that is dropping is using a Wireless USB N D-Link Adapter that is on the supported list. I’ve rolled back, reset etc… to no avail, updated, reset, etc… still nothing. The other device (ROOM B) is hardwired via network cable as it’s in the room next to my router and modem. I’d like to avoid running a patch cable through the attic down through the wall into the living room if possible. I can’t figure out what is causing the TV HD to crash out on my network. The drives are practically empty and if I have to I have a 1tb WD Passport for my laptop I use to move files the hard way if needed. That’s neither here nor there but what is causing the device to drop from my network. Any ideas?

Diagnosing LAN problems is hard; there are too many variables. Just because the wireless device is listed, it does not mean that it will work reliably. It may be a simple case of too many walls for wireless to function correctly. The best way to confirm the WDTV Live box is working correctly is with a direct connect LAN cross-over cable. Use your laptop and WDTV Live box in the same room next to your TV and direct connect. That will confirm your WDTV Live box is functioning correctly. Then try configuring the wireless on your laptop and WDTV Live box and confirm it is working in the same room. Then it is a process of elimination; ie distance, location, walls, main cables, etc. You can also try two simple gain antennas; tape a piece of 300 x 200 mm aluminum foil to cardboard, cut a small hole in the centre, slide it over the USB modem, bend the cardboard at a 30 degree radius, hold the curve in place with tape and point it to the other USB modem. Repeat the process with the other USB modem.