More Info Needed - The WD My Cloud is Disconnecting from the Network

BusyCarol:

Thanks for posting that, this is the first real interaction I have seen from Western Digital on this problem, if (when) my drive fails again I may try some of the procedures you outlined.

My drive has now been active without a shutdown/hang up for 6-days!! That is a new all-time record for the MyCloud Drive. I have a MyBook drive (same size) on the USB connection and so far the Setpoint (backup) function seems to be working fine (for 6-days).

Here are the things I did to get the drive working:

20-second reset (hold the reset button for 20 seconds)

Designated a static IP address on my router and on the My Cloud drive

Disabled the drive sleep function

That is all that I did and the drive is working fine now (at least for 6-days and that is a record for this thing), it took 13-days of working and digging through blogs before I enjoyed the first 24-hours of non-stop operation.  I am still not convinced it is a stable data backup system and I am using other backup devices in tandem just in case this thing fails again.

Our business does not store huge photo/video files and we do not use streaming this is simply a business data backup for networked PCs. Currently we have less than 3-GB of data on the drive. I cannot imagine the problems the high volume graphics folks are having.

Won’t be long before I exceed my 30-day return policy and I am sure WD will drag this out way beyond that so I am stuck with the drive might as well see if it is possible to get it working.

I am certainly happy that I did not buy the high end WD solution, I was looking at their 4-disk RAID box roughly $800.00 with four 3-TB drives, I would hate to think I would lose $800.00 on inferior hardware, $180.00 on the MyCloud Drive is bad enough.

Drive Summary:

3-TB – P/N WDBCTL0030HWT-00

Firmware: WDMyCloud v03.03.02-165 : Core F/W (Up to date/current)

mac_address= (Omitted by choice)

device_name=“WDMyCloud”

device_description=“WD My Cloud”

network_mode=“static”

network_address=“192.168.0.22”

network_netmask=“255.255.255.0”

network_gateway=“192.168.0.1”

network_ns1=“192.168.2.1”

network_ns2=“”

network_ns3=“”

timezone=(Omitted by choice)

ntp_enable=“enabled”

ntp_extra=“”

email_enabled=“on”

email_recipient_0=(Omitted by choice)

email_recipient_1=“”

email_recipient_2=“”

email_recipient_3=“”

email_recipient_4=“”

auto_fw_update=“disable 0 3”

ssh_enable=“disabled”

hdd_standby=“disabled 10”

ftp_enable=“disabled”

workgroup=“WORKGROUP”

itunes_enable=“enabled”

media_server_enable=“enabled”

USB Connected Drive

Western Digital My Book

3-TB

P/N: WDBFJK0030HBK-04

I’ve been following this topic for about a week now, experiencing the same problems with my brand new 3TB WD My Cloud. I must say that it’s not completely clear for me what the status of this problem with WD is? I read some posts from Bill, asking for help, data and patience. I’m reading some posts about a possible solution with a certain .deb file? No Bill telling us the solution has arived? Maybe someone, preferably Bill, could post something to clarify the current status.

Thank you in advance,  

Does it mean that you…

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer. Yes
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard. Yes
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network Yes
  4. Cannot Ping the Device Yes
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table The fixed IP address is present in the routing table but not active

Clarification : What firmware are you presently using?  If you are not using the most current firmware release, 3.03.02, you may want to update to it.  We found that the performance degradation issue may have been one cause for the network disconnect issue. Current firmware 3.03.02

Whatever additional details you can provide may also help us with your particular issue. 

1. Router Name and Model Fritz!Box 7340
  2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router Yes
  3. How often does the device disconnect Every time,  
  4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions It disconnects after a lack of action
  5. LED color when offline , normal blue
  6. From the Dashboard
1. Content Scan Status
2. Capacity usage Details:

1. Free Space <font color="#FF0000">2.7 TB</font>
  2. Videos&nbsp;
  3. Tracks
  4. Photos
  5. other

New!

1. ISP ???
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc) DSL
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.) not active yet
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details. AVG free
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  If so, provide details. AVG free
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  If so, provide details. No
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? Yes

I also just bought the 3TB MyCloud 3 days ago and have been having the same issues with dosconnects. My information is below. Any update on when this will be resolved would be greatly appreciated.

Does it mean that you…

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer. Yes
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard. Yes
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network Yes
  4. Cannot Ping the Device Yes
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table Correct

Clarification : What firmware are you presently using?  If you are not using the most current firmware release, 3.03.02, you may want to update to it.  We found that the performance degradation issue may have been one cause for the network disconnect issue. Current firmware v3.03.02-165

Whatever additional details you can provide may also help us with your particular issue. 

1. Router Name and Model Belkin N600
  2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router Yes
  3. How often does the device disconnect Every time,  
  4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions It disconnects after a lack of action
  5. LED color when offline , normal blue
  6. From the Dashboard
  7. Content Scan Status
  8. Capacity usage Details:
  9. Free Space 2.9 TB
  10. Videos 
  11. Tracks
  12. Photos
  13. other

New!

1. ISP Comcast
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc) DSL
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.) not active yet
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details. Webroot
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  If so, provide details. Webroot
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  If so, provide details. No
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? Yes

Today

Having the same problem…Similar to a couple previous posters, I transferred a whole lot of data to the device, then did a Safepoint and the device started disappearing from the network.  I’ll try shutting off the sleep feature and see if that helps anything…

Does it mean that you…

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer - Nope, can’t access from Explorer
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard - Nope, can’t access from Dashboard
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network - Nope, can’t access from My Cloud App on the Wifi network
  4. Cannot Ping the Device - How do you do this?
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table - How do you do this?

Clarification : What firmware are you presently using?  If you are not using the most current firmware release, 3.03.02, you may want to update to it.  We found that the performance degradation issue may have been one cause for the network disconnect issue. 

1. Router Name and Model - 2Wire Gateway 3800 HGV-B
  2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router - Yes
  3. How often does the device disconnect - Every 5 or 6 hours
  4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions - Uploaded pictures, videos, and did a Safepoint immediately prior to problem - Don’t know if this is just a coincidence or not.
  5. LED color when offline - solid blue
  6. From the Dashboard
1. Content Scan Status - <font color="#ff0000">Scan successful</font>

1. Free Space - <font color="#ff0000">2.9TB</font>
  2. Videos - <font color="#ff0000">5.68GB</font>
  3. Tracks - <font color="#ff0000">0</font>
  4. Photos - <font color="#ff0000">6.57GB</font>
  5. other - <font color="#ff0000">4.61GB of files</font>

New!

1. ISP - AT&T
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc) - DSL
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.) - Using Smartware
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details. - Bitdefender
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  If so, provide details. - Bitdefender
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  If so, provide details. - No
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? - Yes

Got 3tb my cloud few days ago, initial experiance was good on my network was pretty quick, copied lot of things on it, was able to access from work and from home. But not even 24 hrs later it started disconnecting. I will keep it for a week and try few more things. I did cover a lot already, tried static ip, factory reset, newest firmware etc after I found posts regarding this drive disconnecting to be very common problem. Here are the details for WD so maybe they can sort it out one day.

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer Device not visible
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard: Device not visible
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network Device not visible
  4. Cannot Ping the Device Doesnt find device
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table Not present

Clarification : What firmware are you presently using?  If you are not using the most current firmware release, 3.03.02, you may want to update to it.  We found that the performance degradation issue may have been one cause for the network disconnect issue. 

Using newest firmware

1. Router Name and Model: Asus RT-N66U tried  Hitron CGN2-ROG (from cable provider) same problem.
  2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router. Yes
  3. How often does the device disconnect Random sometimes after couple hours and once stayed connected for about 10 hrs.
  4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions Non specific
  5. LED color when offline blue
  6. From the Dashboard
1. Content Scan Status <font color="#FF0000">Scanning</font>

1. Free Space <font color="#FF0000">1.3 TB</font>
  2. Videos <font color="#FF0000">1.4 TB</font>
  3. Tracks <font color="#FF0000">33 GB</font>
  4. Photos <font color="#FF0000">66 GB</font>
  5. other <font color="#FF0000">160 GB</font>

New!

1. ISP Rogers
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc) Cable
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.) None (not using drive as auto back up)
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details.No
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  If so, provide details. Windows 7 default
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  If so, provide details. NO
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? Yes not for too long so drive can be returned for refound till March 12.

Yeah! 3 days working fine ! My treatment was:

• system reset (not full) in system settings thru dashboard
  • all settings for resourses
  • turn OFF sleep mode for 1 day - working good w/o stopping
  • turning iTunes media server OFF but dlna server ON
  • after 1 day working turning sleep mode ON - now it’s working with sleeping for 3 days and any actyvity (tv or iPad or pc) makes easily him alive!
    Yeah!

Bought WDMC 4T 4 days ago at BestBuy.

Had the same problems with the drive disconnecting after a few hours, had to unplug and plug again the power cable each time. Was transferring pictures from a USB drive over the network.

After reading every single posting here, felt lost and angry with lack of WD support. It looks like every user posting here is trying, often at random, to resolve the problem with no WD guidance.

Used latest firmware version 03.03.02-165.

Just found there is a newer firmware version 03.04.01-219  , it is being installed now and I hope it will help !

Bought mine 2 weeks ago, same issues.    I have read all the information here and made the suggested changes.   After I gave it a fixed IP address and turned off Sleep Mode, so far it seems to stay online.    However, when watching a movie from the WD My Cloud, sometimes it stops right in the middle and skips to the next movie.    Looks like the network connection fails for a very short time, don’t know yet if it is the network card of the computer or the My Cloud that is failing at that point.

Now my question is, there is a new firmware available but is that to resolve the issues that we all seem to have or is it for another purpose ?     Hopefully WD can answer that question asap.

The new firmware resolves these issues:- It dores not state that it addresses the disconnect issue.

Firmware Version 03.04.01 -219
Resolved Issues:
 Resolved remote connection through www.wd2go.com web portal is blocked when updating to Java™ 7 Update 51.
 Added 3 seconds of white/blinking LED to indicate the system restore upon power up function has initiated.
 Added blinking LED to indicate the hardware reset process has initiated once the reset button on the back of the unit has been depressed long enough.
 Added Product Improvement Program option. This option will allow WD to improve future updates by collecting information such as the product serial number during a firmware upgrade.
 Resolved issue of NTP is still running after being disabled through the dashboard.
 Resolved issue of support web page links from the dashboard are opening in English despite the dashboard running in another language.
 Resolved issue of a USB drive named as “backup” will not mount when attached to the USB expansion port.
 Resolved issue of a created scheduled safepoint is not run automatically.
 Resolved issue of firmware update duration is taking too long to complete.
 Resolved issue of no indication is shown when an incorrect username/password is entered when creating a safepoint on a private share.
 Resolved issue of dashboard displays inconsistent number of media files.
 Resolved issue of the dashboard media scanning progress displays incorrect status.
 Resolved issue of created user names are displayed only in lowercase text.
 Resolved issue of notification emails are still sent after being disabled through the dashboard.
 Scheduled automatic firmware update is now randomized to occur within the selected hour.

1 Like

After almost 7-days non-stop my drive just went offline, this is the longest I have seen this thing work. Unfortunately I am accessing it remotely so I will not be able to find out what its status is until I get back to the office. However, the new Firmware Version 03.04.01 -219 came out while I have been away so I will see if it helps.

As stated in the previous post, there is no mention if the revised firmware actually helps any of the real problems with the drive; all looks like neat stuff has been resolved but not much help if you cannot access the drive.

Drive Summary:

3-TB – P/N WDBCTL0030HWT-00

Firmware: WDMyCloud v03.03.02-165 : Core F/W (will update soon)

mac_address= (Omitted by choice)

device_name=“WDMyCloud”

device_description=“WD My Cloud”

network_mode=“static”

network_address=“192.168.0.22”

network_netmask=“255.255.255.0”

network_gateway=“192.168.0.1”

network_ns1=“192.168.2.1”

network_ns2=“”

network_ns3=“”

timezone=(Omitted by choice)

ntp_enable=“enabled”

ntp_extra=“”

email_enabled=“on”

email_recipient_0=(Omitted by choice)

email_recipient_1=“”

email_recipient_2=“”

email_recipient_3=“”

email_recipient_4=“”

auto_fw_update=“disable 0 3”

ssh_enable=“disabled”

hdd_standby=“disabled 10”

ftp_enable=“disabled”

workgroup=“WORKGROUP”

itunes_enable=“enabled”

media_server_enable=“enabled”

USB Connected Drive

Western Digital My Book

3-TB

P/N: WDBFJK0030HBK-04

So sorry to hear that Westwind!  Mine was up for about two days and then it went down again.  I have note updated it yet because I didn’t hear about that until I was already at work.  When it works I LOVE IT!  The only thing I wish is that it behaved a little more like Dropbox where the files could be offline/online, sync and you didn’t really notice the stuff making that all happen.  However, I like interacting with the files in this cloud better than Dropbox which, in my opinion, had a funky download thing if you weren’t using their desktop software. 

I have not added much data so our theory of this issue having something to do with indexing doesn’t really ring true in my case. If the update doesn’t work I am thinking of turning SSH on and getting into the root and making some changes that were mentioned in the other post that started the whole thing with WD needing more info.  I will see if I can find it.  I would be curious to see what WD would say to that…

The device is disconnecting and re-connecting randomly after upgrade. It finally landed on a relay connection in Auto mode for a whle, but now it’s disconnected again. I tried a manual setup, but that didn’t work either.  It was working fine with the same network setup until a day or two ago. It only seems to reconnect after a reboot. Once it disconnects, it doesn’t reconnect again without a restart.

Does it mean that you…

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer - I can consistently access the device from Windows Explorer internally and via external VPN
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard - I can access the Dashboard, I cannot access the device thru wd2go.com
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network - I can access the device on the same network if I use a device that’s already registered, I cannot add new devices 
  4. Cannot Ping the Device - I can ping the device from the same network
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table - The IP address is reserved in the firewall and shows up in the routing table.

Clarification : What firmware are you presently using 3.04.01?  If you are not using the most current firmware release, 3.03.02, you may want to update to it.  We found that the performance degradation issue may have been one cause for the network disconnect issue. 

1. Router Name and Model - WDMyCloud
  2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router - Through an unmanaged Cisco switch
  3. How often does the device disconnect - It was random, I would watch it lose the connection a couple minutes after a reboot. It finally landed on a relay connection in auto mode and seemed to stabliize later in the PM today, but it disconnected again
  4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions - no
  5. LED color when offline - blue
  6. From the Dashboard
1. Content Scan Status - ok
2. Capacity usage Details: - 3TB space

1. Free Space - > 2TB
  2. Videos - none
  3. Tracks - none
  4. Photos - none
  5. other

New!

1. ISP - Brighthouse
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc) - Cable
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.) - Smartware
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details. - none
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  If so, provide details. - turned off, using IPCop firewall
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  If so, provide details. - no
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? - yes

This is rediculous, two months to identify a significant flaw.

The bad news, I’m not a power user, I bought this as it seemed a good way to share photos and files,  But I’ve spent hours on getting it running, loosing connection. trying to reconnect.  At least I found this link to people with similar problems.

The good news, I bought it from Costco, I’ll just take it back!

I might add my setup seems similar to the response from 3 hrs ago - Brighthouse Cable Modem (theirs) with phone connection.  Updated firmware 2 days ago. 

Thank you all for contributing to this thread.  At this point we have gathered the needed information to resolve this issue and we are working on a solution.  Bill will be closing down this thread.

Special thanks to the customers who have been working with us over PM and email!

We appreciate your feedback and your patience.

2 Likes

Hello,

We have release our new 4.X codeline that has a specific change to address this issue.  For more information please refer to this thread:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/New-Release-WD-My-Cloud-Firmware-Release-4-00-00-607-7-9-14/td-p/761150