More Info Needed - The WD My Cloud is Disconnecting from the Network

Also just in case this helps I set the device to email me alerts, I received the following alert after I power cycled the device

Following events are generated on your WDMyCloud .

Event title:System restart

Event description:The system has restarted.

Severity:Info

Event code:2001

Event time:02-25-2014 10:26:30 PM

Firmware version:       03.03.02-165

Event time:02-24-2014 11:26:48 PM

Event time:02-23-2014 11:41:02 PM

Event time:02-18-2014 10:09:55 PM

Event title:Media Scan Stopped

Event description:The device stopped scanning your media. As a result, some thumbnails will not display when you access it remotely. To resume scanning, please restart your WD My Cloud device.

Event code:2300

Event time:02-16-2014 04:53:58 AM

Hello,

I’m experiencing the same problem. After some time of not actively accessing the device, it seem to be disconnected from the LOCAL network. See below the requested details:

Firmware: 03.03.02-165

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer Yes

2. Cannot Access the Dashboard Yes

3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network Yes

4. Cannot Ping the Device Yes

5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table Unknown

6. Router Name and Model Router: Cisco 800 Switch: Cisco SF100D (8port 10/100)

7. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router No, to the Cisco switch

8. How often does the device disconnect After ~1d (or several hrs) of not accessing the device

9. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions No

10. LED color when offline Blue. ETH leds: orange and blinking green (normal)

11. From the Dashboard

12. Content Scan Status All done

13. Capacity usage Details:

1. Free Space&nbsp;<font color="#FF0000">2.7TB</font>
2. Videos&nbsp;<font color="#FF0000">38GB</font>
3. Tracks&nbsp;<font color="#FF0000">50GB</font>
4. Photos&nbsp;<font color="#FF0000">180GB</font>
5. other&nbsp;<font color="#FF0000">17GB</font>

New!

1. ISP N/A
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc) DSL
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.) No
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details. No
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  If so, provide details. Windows FW (built-in)
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  If so, provide details. No
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? Yes

Firmware: Unknown

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer Correct

2. Cannot Access the Dashboard Correct

3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network Correct

4. Cannot Ping the Device Correct

5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table Correct

6. Router Name and Model RT-N66R

7. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router Yes

8. How often does the device disconnect Came into work - it was disconnected.  Chaos ensued

9. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions Unknown

10. LED color when offline Permenantly White

11. From the Dashboard

12. Content Scan Status can’t find device

13. Capacity usage Details:

1. Free Space&nbsp;
2. Videos&nbsp;
3. Tracks&nbsp;
4. Photos&nbsp;
5. other&nbsp;

New!

1. ISP Comcast
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc) Cable
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.) I wish
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details. Avast! & EmsiSoft
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  If so, provide details. Windows FW (built-in)
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  If so, provide details. No
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? Yes

I have about 5 days to return this but I REALLY NEED MY DATA!!!

NOTHING works.  I have tried:

Unplugging, waiting 30 seconds and plugging back in

hitting reset button

holding reset button for 40 seconds while powering on

connecting to different port on router with different cable

connecting directly to computer

nothing works

it is a brick

Thank God there is only one month worth of data lost (due to backup)

However, this is my business data (client info, documents, billing info) so this is definitely horrible.

ANY IDEAS???

1 Like

After one week still working with no issues.

After received an email from WD suport, from [Deleted - Trancer]. i  Upload two files .deb for logs and now still log on.

Soon will be a new firmware.

Is there an ETA for the fix?

Seems like the drive is working on something, probably preparing all those icons (useless in my view), because it is hot. Still not visible to the network.

Thanks

Please check your emails from WD requesting addition information logs.  There will be instructions for how to turn of the logging process.  WD is working on a new script for additional log gathering.  We will email it to you as soon as it’s ready.

Thank you for your patience and helpfulness. 

Bill_S,

Why do you still need to gather logs and do analysis…?   Can you give us some more feedback on what you are investigating and what the possible solution might look like?

Do you agree that the indexing process is what is bogging down the system? Those of us (thanks to Ralphael and others) who have disabled the processes (wdphotodbmergerd, wdmcserverd) have stable units but have given up the image thumbnails and DLNA support.

Also, do you have any feeback on the sleep cycle thread?

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Letting-Sleeping-Drive-lie-don-t-wake-up/m-p/689037

Please respond.

Thanks,

Sean

1 Like

Does it mean that you…

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer  Yes
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard Yes
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network Yes
  4. Cannot Ping the Device Yes
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table

Clarification : What firmware are you presently using?  If you are not using the most current firmware release, 3.03.02, you may want to update to it.  We found that the performance degradation issue may have been one cause for the network disconnect issue. Firmware v.03.03.02-165.

Whatever additional details you can provide may also help us with your particular issue. 

1. Router Name and Model Netgear WNDR3800
  2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router Yes
  3. How often does the device disconnect Frequently - every so many minutes. I am testing timing of failure but I don’t have an answer yet
  4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions Not that I can tell. I was transferring files to it and then walked away for a while and now I cannot find it at all
  5. LED color when offline Blue Solid
  6. From the Dashboard  Can’t connect to dashboard when it does this.  However, after rebooting device here is what I see
1. Content Scan Status **<font color="#FF0000">Scanning</font>**
2. Capacity usage Details:

1. Free Space **<font color="#FF0000">3.8TB</font>**
  2. Videos **<font color="#FF0000"> 71GB</font>**
  3. Tracks **<font color="#FF0000">780MB</font>**
  4. Photos **<font color="#FF0000">50GB</font>**
  5. other **<font color="#FF0000"> 6.4GB</font>**

New!

1. ISP Charter
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc) Cable
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.) None yet
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details. Norton 360
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  If so, provide details. Norton 360
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  If so, provide details. No not yet
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? Yes - JUST PLEASE GET THIS WORKING ASAP!!!

PLEASE HELP!  I just purchased this last week and was super excited to not have to use Dropbox anymore.  Now I am wondering if I should return it before the return policy expires.

My Cloud just finished SCANNING after I posted my reply.  Then the ‘Content Scan’ posted an error code.  Here is what it says:

Internal Server Error. Retry you last operation. If the problem persists contact WD (200500).

At this point it has been up and running for 1.5 hours and I am transferring a bunch of pictures to it.  So, for the moment, I have access.  I hope it stays that way. 

Bill could you please advise me as to whether or not I should contnue transferring files to it.  I am hoping that whatever firmware you end up with just corrects the problem and does not require a reboot.  However, if you think it might require a full reset/format (whatever) then I don’t want to waste my time.  Thanks!

I have the same problem!!!

Have latest firmware and ISP is Ziggo and their modem/router.

Also have a WD TV Live hub, which is MUCH more reliable and even faster than this Cloud.

I have had nothing but problems with slow network, loosing connection regularly (every 10-20 mins), streaming vidoes is hopeless, etc…

Okay my drive was up for more than 12 hours and then it dropped off again.  Yesterday I was using ping -t with the IP address to see how long it would stay up or what it would do.  I started tranferring data (about 66GB) around 2AM this morning and around 7:30AM it had just stopped pinging and went to Destination Host Unreachable and Request Timed Out (mostly DHU).  So I am about to go check on the drive and see what the light shows.  It is usually solid blue. 

I wondering if the other users are right that it has something to do with the indexing process although there have been times it has dropped off even when I haven’t been transferring.  I sure hope all of this helps.  I think, this box, when it works is pretty slick.  I am really only using it for data, not streaming, so the initial transfers will be the largest.

Do you have your Drive Sleep on?  If so try turning it off and seeing how long it lasts. 

It is now 11 days since I uploaded the “enableLogging.deb” and I haven’t had a drop since then. Sleep is “ON” and the **bleep** thing hasn’t missed a beat. I HAVEN’T uploaded any significantly large amounts of data during this time but it carries out the “Safepoint Update” to my other NAS drive happily every night when my PC is off.

All my initial drops were when I was performing my initial loading of data to the drive & it was sorting out the data & doing an content scan. So, sorry WD, I haven’t got any logs to send you!

All I have to report is that it is working beautifully at the moment. :smiley:

I can’t speak for everyone else but the Sleep on My Cloud is turned OFF.

Greytide wrote:

It is now 11 days since I uploaded the “enableLogging.deb” and I haven’t had a drop since then. Sleep is “ON” and the **bleep** thing hasn’t missed a beat. I HAVEN’T uploaded any significantly large amounts of data during this time but it carries out the “Safepoint Update” to my other NAS drive happily every night when my PC is off.

All my initial drops were when I was performing my initial loading of data to the drive & it was sorting out the data & doing an content scan. So, sorry WD, I haven’t got any logs to send you!

All I have to report is that it is working beautifully at the moment. :smiley:

Like you mine is working the same way. “Sleep Mode” is ON and “Safepoints” are wotking. In fact my My Cloud is asleep as I am writing this post. I have no idea why the “enableLogging.deb” upload to the unit causes it to work properly.

I sure hope they send me this logging file soon!!!  I really want to start using this box.  Right now I am hesitant to get into full swing with it for fear that they will need to reset it, reformat it, or I will end up returning it.  So basically I am jealous of you! :stuck_out_tongue:

BusyCarol wrote:

I sure hope they send me this logging file soon!!!  I really want to start using this box.  Right now I am hesitant to get into full swing with it for fear that they will need to reset it, reformat it, or I will end up returning it.  So basically I am jealous of you! :stuck_out_tongue:

Here is what I did to help my situation. I was having MANY issues at first. I had Level 2 Support call me and we walked through several items.

Before support called me I did a full “System Factory Restore”->“Full Restore”. Yes, everything I had uploaded at that time was lost but I had copies so I re-upped the data (Files, Music, etc.) I wasn’t happy doing that, but it did resolve most of my issues. This was all after upgrading to the latest firmware. I have a 3TB My Cloud and the full restore took 24 hours to complete.

When level 2 Support called we did the following:

1. Instead of a 40 second reset we did a 20 second reset on the My Cloud. Basically, while the unit was powered up and the “Blue light” was stable, I pushed the reset and counted to 20 and released. The system rebooted and this took some time to be active again and I had to setup my permissions again but I did NOT lose any data or accounts. I also had to setup WD2GO again but that is no biggy.

2. I had an issue where “Content Scan” was not showing “Idle” as with the older firmware. So he had me check to see if the “DLNA Media Server” was on … it wasn’t and I was told to turn that on. Even though I do NOT use this device for a medai server he said keep this “ON” and turn off “Media Serving” in all me Shares. After awhile the “Content Scan” showed “Idle”.

3. Also my “Safepoints” would error out. After we completed steps 1 and 2 I created a new “Safepoint” and it completed successfully … it never did  that before so I really don’t know what fixed that … maybe the 20 second reset.

I had the “lost connection” once and ever since the reset, mentioned above, it has never happened again. I received the email with the “enableLogging.deb” but that was after the Support help so I never ran it.

I think to get the “enableLogging.deb” and Upload file you have to post the answers to what Bill_S requested in his initial post 1.

I don’t know if any of this will help but I certainly hope it does. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, sorry for my language but I’m not a computer expert neither good at English
I registered just 2 days ago after more than 3 weeks trying to make my WD go, and so I read all this stuff in the forum and realized that the problem is too big for me.
My Cloud (3 TB) is disconnecting once or two times a day from the network and I:
Can’t find device from the Explorer
Can’t access the Dashboard
Can’t access device through My Cloud App from the same network (and also through my SONOS music system)
Ping the device? I’m not able to perform
I assigned a static  IP address for  My Cloud in the router

My firmware is v03.03.02-165

Router Name and Model:  D-link DSL-2740R
Is the My cloud connected directly to the router: YES (but unfortunately it is not Gigabit Ethernet)
How often does the device disconnect: one or twice a day
Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions: NO
LED color when offline: blu fixed (it is almost always blu fixed, quite rarely blu blinking.  And on the rear the upper LED is always green AND blinking. In the Dashboard I kept the “stand-by: ON” , as suggested).

From the Dashboard:
Content Scan Status: in this moment is NOT ACTIVE
    Capacity usage Details:
        Free Space: 2.5 TB
        Videos: 50 GB
        Tracks: 150 GB
        Photos: 190 GB
        other: 62 GB
ISP: TELETU (Italy)
Internet type: DSL
Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.): NO
Antivirus software on the computer?  AVIRA ANTIVIR
Firewall software on the computer? ZONE ALARM
Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  NO
Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? NON SURE I’M ABLE

Even more difficult is to access to WDMyCloud outside my WIFI. I managed just two times in three weeks. If my smarthphone (IPhone 4 s) have access through the apps WD Photos or My Cloud inside the WIFI, when I go out of it the WDMyCloud is “offline”. This happens even if in the Dashboard the access to the cloud appears on and connected. Also in the Dashboard the connection through port forwarding is frequently not immediate and difficult to obtain. The access through the web WD2go is impossible to me due to trouble with  JAVA (I use Mozilla Firefox).
I hope you’ll fix it!

Does it mean that you…
Cannot find device from the Explorer NO
Cannot Access the Dashboard NO
Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network NO
Cannot Ping the Device NO
The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table NO

Router Name and Model ZYXEL KEENETIC GIGA
Is the My cloud connected directly to the router YES
How often does the device disconnect - It seems to be a good sleep mode, after long period of inactivity
Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions - upper
LED color when offline - solid blue
From the Dashboard
Content Scan Status it dosn’t matter
Capacity usage Details:
Free Space
Videos
Tracks
Photos
other
New!
ISP
Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc) Dom.ru
Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware,QuickVie
Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details. KIS
Firewall software on the computer?  If so, provide details.KIS
Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  If so, provide details. No
Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? I’m willing to have my device working well.
Turning sleep mode off makes it working well, but the drive spining all day long…Turning sleep mode on makes it stopping after 30-40 min for a second and again starting he’d (while devices inactivity on lan) then it goes to deeeep…sleep and that’s all!