More Holes than a beggars sock

This device is realy freaking me out, a lot of lost time in this thing:

Tryed to update to latest firmware and after like 14 or so hours updating I had to power off because it was going nowhere!

Lost most of capacity as it could not mount raid partitions (why do we need Raid in a 1 disk device, just to get things messy?) and it shows only 2GB +/-

Could not try to update again because it refuses saying it as few space in it!

After lost a lot of time trying to get Raid to mount the 8 (EIGHT) or so partitions i find that you can simply mount the data partition (/dev/sda4) with a simple mount command. why the **bleep** should this device need 8 (EIGHT) partitions? just to get things even more messy?

After this i can finaly update manualy and it mounted data partitions (raid /dev/md1)

after 2 or 3 reboots never more mounted data partitions automaticaly. I have to specify various mount points in /etc/fstab myself.

Box does not reboot. It lights up the red light and i have to turn off power to boot it again.

box does not update debian system

it fires some problem like

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/isc-dhcp-client_4.2.2.dfsg.1-5+deb70u6_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf', which is also in package networking-general 02.00.00-124635
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/isc-dhcp-client_4.2.2.dfsg.1-5+deb70u6_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

because of that i can not install any packages now.

So, This box is a lots of problems and very few things that worth it.

Going for a return ! I Guess WD should have a lots of returned My Cloud Units

Look for my thread on how to revive the device and you can get it up and running pretty quickly…

Thanks,

but if i do your procedure I guess i will loose warranty.

And, whats the point of restoring if i can not do a simple “apt-get upgrade” in this unit? Its like having a car and not beeing able to change 1st gear.

And … how many more time before having to restore again?

This unit despite having a good price, some nice specs and suposedly runing “debian” Its all about problems. 
For me its just for return.
I have never had done a return in my life and i buy a lot of “gadgets”, this thing is totally useless, I would better stick with my old sheevaplug, Its not going for retirement as soon as I was expecting.

You’ve already lost warranty.

You’ve done lots of “hacks” already (using APT?) and installing packages.

You’re no worse off than you were before.

The other option you have is to do the 40-second firmware restore process.

1 Like

Nico12345 wrote:
TonyPh12345 …  feels to entitled to give legal advice. Very risky for a US citizen!

WD employees have given that warning.   I’m taking no risk in repeating what the manufacturer has posted not only online but in the system warning as well.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure thats Lin Admin trolling again.

3 Likes

BINGO!   I Thought so as well.

1 Like

3 Likes

:laughing:

I told this some weeks ago…troll plague.

It seems to be an extended problem across the net:

Internet trolls take pleasure in making you suffer, new study says

Nobody likes an internet troll, but it’s been possible to take comfort in the idea most of them are just clowning around. Unfortunately,  new research suggests that’s not the case— trolls’ personalities correlate highly with sadism. A new study by Erin Buckels and her colleagues at the University of Manitoba found that trolls’ personalities are strongly linked to personality traits that form what some psychologists call the  Dark Tetrad: sadism, narcissism, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism.

Moreover, the more time a person spends commenting on the internet each day, the more likely it is that the person will demonstrate Dark Tetrad traits. As  recounted by Slate, only 5.6 percent of survey respondents copped to engaging in troll behavior. But those who did demonstrated a strong relationship with sadism in particular. “Both trolls and sadists feel sadistic glee at the distress of others,” the study’s authors write. “Sadists just want to have fun … and the internet is their playground!”

I am not understanding who is the troll here???

And if it is interesting for someone i already made a return for this device and received a full refund with post costs and return costs also payed.

Of course it is not the same thing change the software in an acceptable way or open the case.

WD can say wathever they want but in the end what counts its the law!!

And I am very pleased that I live in a country where my consumer rights are protected or I would be left with a device with serious flaws.

Mocho, the “troll” was another user that was spamming your thread. His posts were all deleted.

1 Like

ahhh ok,

regards

_LinAdmin_ wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:
Mocho, the “troll” was another user that was spamming your thread. His posts were all deleted.

And it is very interesting to see that those honored contributers and posters who were violating TOS of this community were not deleted!

Mocho, just so you’re aware, this is the same person under yet another new name.  I think this is the sixth or seventh time he’s done this…

1 Like