Monitoring my EX2

Level 2 support told me to post here as they were unable to help, and they said that the engineers montior these forums…

I’m trying to monitor my EX2, either via email or SNMP.

Email isn’t working, but I know why and that’s because the /etc/smtp.conf file.  It connects to:

host=notify.senvid.net
port=58705

and if I try to update it, it overwrites upon reboot. 

Rule number 1 on preventing spam on networks?  All outgoing email runs through your spam filter.  This won’t allow me to do that, so I can’t do email notificaitons.  Too bad because that would be the best.  I even tried doing a cron job that overwrites that conf file, but cron jobs get overwritten as well…  .

So I move onto SNMP. 

2 problems. 

Problem 1.  SNMP traps don’t work.  I set up a laptop on the same subnet at my EX2, set up a trap listener and pulled a drive to cause a trap to occur.

Setting up the trap notification:

I pulled the drive

No SNMP trap showed up.

The RAID rebuild failed, no trap showed up.

I rebooted the EX2, no trap showed up.

The RAID rebuild started, no trap showed up.

You can see that from the following images:

Did I miss something?

The firewall is off on the machine.  Netstat is showing it as listening on a UDP port 162.  Where else should I go?

I did try doing SNMP walks, but I don’t know what MIB to be looking for.  There is a partial MIB file available to download off of the WD site ( http://support.wd.com/product/download.asp?groupid=906&sid=223&lang=en)) but it doesn’t narrow down the dirve info I’m looking for. 

Help?

jbest wrote:

Level 2 support told me to post here as they were unable to help, and they said that the engineers montior these forums…

I’m sorry, but whoever told you that spoke out of turn.  Occasionally, product people may pop in to see how things are going, and they may post.  But they are not here to provide support.  Moreover, if what you are trying to do falls outside the specifications of what we can support, then rest assured that no other WD Staff member will be able to help either. 

Now, having said that, there may be others here in the community that might know something that could help you.  However, there is no guarantee of that. 

Bill_S wrote:

I’m sorry, but whoever told you that spoke out of turn.  Occasionally, product people may pop in to see how things are going, and they may post.  But they are not here to provide support.  Moreover, if what you are trying to do falls outside the specifications of what we can support, then rest assured that no other WD Staff member will be able to help either. 

Now, having said that, there may be others here in the community that might know something that could help you.  However, there is no guarantee of that. 

Never was told they would answer, just that they monitor…

With that in mind, what I’m trying to do, doesn’t fall outside of the specs of what the product should be capable of doing as it’s basic SNMP trapping.  If a drive failure doesn’t cause an SNMP trap, then what does?  You guys don’t have any documentation published that specifies what traps get sent.  That’s something that should be published, and I don’t see how a community member would be able to help with Western Digital docmentation.  I don’t see how that’s even their responsibility. 

I’m also curious what happened to the reply from Total Support.

It was there one minute, and I can’t see it now?  Was it deleted?

Idealy I would very much prefer to set my own SMTP server to my internal server.  That’s my ideal solution to my problem. 

If I can’t do that, I would like to know what SNMP MIB I need to monitor for a drive failure. 

If I can’t do that, I need to get SNMP trapping working so that I can monitor for drive failure.

How do I do any of these 3 things?

The reason his post was pulled is because what you are asking is outside the specs of what we have designed the product to do.  Whether the device can function as an SMTP server is irrelevant.  We didn’t spec it to be one.  Therefore, there will be no documentation to support it. 

Again, having said that, if you can get it to work as an SMTP server, that’s awesome.  We just can’t help with it. 

Bill_S wrote:

Again, having said that, if you can get it to work as an SMTP server, that’s awesome.  We just can’t help with it. 

Ignoring the fact that it has an SMTP server installed by WD (required in order for email notifications to even work in the first place), I’m trying to get SNMP to work, not SMTP.  The way that WD has configured the SMTP configuration files, they get overwritten upon reboot, so while I would love to get that to work, that’s the ideal.  I’m would like to just get SNMP to work at a minimum.

They are very different technologies, SNMP vs SMTP.