MLB Streaming Issues

I have been having awful problems since the beginning of the season, making ANY attempt at watching games via the WDTV futile. But something interesting/different happened tonight…

I started MLB.tv, selected a game to watch. I got a screen with a spinning circle  which can sometimes last many minutes before I see video. Tonight the spinning circle just stopped spinning. I  waited a couple of minutes being the patient man that I am, then determines that the box had locked up. I pulled the power cord, waited a few seconds and reattached the power to the wdtv box. I haven’t had to do that in a really long time.

After the power-cycle, I jumped straight into MLB.tv, selected my game again, and POP! up comes my game. I was a bit surprised, and still cynical - fully expecting it to pause, spin, re-sync, fail or whatever in just about 90 seconds, as usual.

NOPE. It kept playing flawlessly. I was even able to skip to different innings, use the slow-motion and back 10 seconds buttons. It worked wonderfully and I was finally able to enjoy some baseball from my couch.

So, My firmware is unchanged. Did MLB.tv solve some problem on the back end for us? Was this perhaps just a fluke? Will it become useless again tomorrow? Did the POWER-CYCLE help in any way? These are my questions and I would love to hear if anyone else is experiencing sudden success using WDTV to play MLB.TV.

Two nights in a row, MLB.TV has worked perfectly!!

I’ve just bought the Live SMP specifically to watch MLB easier (and because Live kept deleting my files on NTFS).

I’m shocked how badly it behaves, as mentioned above: jump to inning jumps to a random spot, game begins in 2nd/3rd inning, when there is buffering in archived game a fast-forward follows. I had no issues with sound so far (with amplifier).

I am hiding scores, there is no point in watching a game knowing it. However, in the list of archived games, there is an indication of “Final” or “Final-13”. This immediately tells me if there were extra innings, and ruins the experience of either the first 9 innings, or the end of the game, knowing the game won’t be tied to go into extra innings. Please consider this. Too bad that those who develop this software don’t use it. Otherwise this would be evident.

Thank you for your attention.