MLB Streaming Issues

Folks - has anyone figured out how to watch an entire MLB game without freezes or reboots?

I’ve seen this asked numerous times, across multiple firmware versions and I’ve still haven’t seen a fix. I’ve got the latest firmware and during the Philly vs. Detroit game today I had two reboots and 1 freeze.

This device is on the same network as the XBOX 360 and an iPad and nether have any issues watching MLB games.

I’ve been overall satisfied with my Live Hub but if anyone asks I have to tell them…it’s a great device as long as you aren’t buying it for MLB.

Hopefully WD or someone has an answer to this.

Thanks in advance. 

Ed

Sometimes the feed from MLB baseball (or your ISP) has “issues” and it can can freeze.  In, those cases, it has nothing to do with the device you are viewing it with.  We have no problems viewing MLB with Roku app or iPad apps.  So, other than the issues I mentioned, I would guess that, 1) the WD MLB app could have issues and/or, 2) the WD unit has issues, so not much you can do about either.  Except, if you are connected wirelessly, your wireless signal to the WD could be weaker to it than it is to the other devices, and that requires you to improve the signal at the WD in all the ways it can be improved.  Examples: hook the WD to a wired network, or improve the wireless signal to the WD.

I’ve had the same issues that you have (with no issues at all on my PC stream.) The MLB app hasn’t been addressed in any of the recent firmware updates. Trying to watch a non-live stream of a spring training game a week or two ago gave me trouble, I would guess that whatever issues existed with last years MLB streams on the WD will still be here this season. I have the same qualifications as you, I love the device, but not for MLB. Sadly, other than streaming video files, this is the only other thing I bought it to do.

If MLB is that important to you, then get a Roku, and or watch it on a tablet.  I have both WD and Roku players, and the best one for a given pupose gets used!  Roku wins for MLB.

JWTWMLBTV wrote:

Folks - has anyone figured out how to watch an entire MLB game without freezes or reboots?

I’ve seen this asked numerous times, across multiple firmware versions and I’ve still haven’t seen a fix. I’ve got the latest firmware and during the Philly vs. Detroit game today I had two reboots and 1 freeze.

This device is on the same network as the XBOX 360 and an iPad and nether have any issues watching MLB games.

I’ve been overall satisfied with my Live Hub but if anyone asks I have to tell them…it’s a great device as long as you aren’t buying it for MLB.

Hopefully WD or someone has an answer to this.

Thanks in advance. 

Ed

MLB is something else WD has crammed onto this box that doesn’t work reliably if at all. Save yourself some time, ignore the MLB icon on the WDTV, and just use a capable computer.

Anyone having problems with getting no sound on MLB, I load up MLB click the game I want to watch and picture comes on but no sound at all. I restart the device try again sometimes it works sometimes not. It takes me about 2 reboots to get sound to work.  Then once I switch to another game sound gone again. Reboot again. this is really a pain.

Have you using the latest firmware?

Yes I have the latest firmware from about a week ago.

I am hard wired and have found constant stuttering/freezing with the MLB.tv app on my WDTV Live.  As another poster has mentioned, I have to use my Roku or PC.  The Live just doesn’t work reliably enough for any sort of positive user experience, unfortunately.  Sorry you were snookered by WD. :frowning:

Nothing but problems with MLB.tv

1. if i use the pc, i will be watching the game delayed so I will be in the first inning and the actuall game is in the 8 inning. This has happened like 3 time already, I will be watching and it freezes for a second or 2 and it just skips live all the way to the 8th inning giving away the score I have been trying to avoid. Whats the point of watching the game if i already know the score.

2. The picture is not as good with the pc

WDLIVE

The picture looks great, as good as directv. But some problems make it terrible.

1. It take like 5 tries to get sound, I have to reset the device almost before every game.

2. The Start from beginning will start in the 3rd or 4th inning, then you try to click 1st inning it won’t go there, it always goes to the 3rd inning. This does not happen every day. But yesterdays Phillies game against the Royals (started in the 4hth), and it happened  in the Braves vs Phillies game (started in the 3rd). And all the innings are messed up, the 5th inning was the 8th inning. It was all messed up. Todays game worked just right. I have to go to Mlb.tv to watch anything from the first few innings.

I really love the picture on the WD Live, but I wish I could find a way to watch a game without problems, there does not seem to be a way to watch without issues.

sixteenvolt182 wrote:

Nothing but problems with MLB.tv

1. if i use the pc, i will be watching the game delayed so I will be in the first inning and the actuall game is in the 8 inning. This has happened like 3 time already, I will be watching and it freezes for a second or 2 and it just skips live all the way to the 8th inning giving away the score I have been trying to avoid. Whats the point of watching the game if i already know the score.
  1. The picture is not as good with the pc

WDLIVE

The picture looks great, as good as directv. But some problems make it terrible.

1. It take like 5 tries to get sound, I have to reset the device almost before every game.
  1. The Start from beginning will start in the 3rd or 4th inning, then you try to click 1st inning it won’t go there, it always goes to the 3rd inning. This does not happen every day. But yesterdays Phillies game against the Royals (started in the 4hth), and it happened  in the Braves vs Phillies game (started in the 3rd). And all the innings are messed up, the 5th inning was the 8th inning. It was all messed up. Todays game worked just right. I have to go to Mlb.tv to watch anything from the first few innings.

I really love the picture on the WD Live, but I wish I could find a way to watch a game without problems, there does not seem to be a way to watch without issues.

Are you using the latest firmware

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live_G3

Yes I have the latest firmware.

I am in the same exact boat as deepwound. I get freezing for a minute or 2, then it automatically fast forwards back to live. Very annoying. This happens every single game, multiple times. I’ve reset, power cycled the device, everything possible, but to no avail. My  WD TV Live is hard wired with a steady  30 mbps internet connection. I have the lastest firmware. Makes no sense.

I’d like to know what’s going on with the MLB streams also. 

Latest firmware.

Most annoying aspect is the ‘jump to an inning’ being totally broken, it will either take you to a random inning, or just lock up and nothing happen. Most of the time it will take you to the bottom or end of the 3rd, seeing the first 2 and half innings of a game seems impossible.

I too have the same issues on the latest firmware. The worst is that the stream is all offset, starting off usually in the bottom of the 3rd and skip to inning is offset - like the entire stream is offset from the timeline. I also get the freeze and fast-forward to catchup. If it freezes it would be nice if it just continued from that point and not suddenly skip a bunch of action.

I’m begging WD to fix this issue…I’ve cancelled my cable and rely on MLB.tv to watch live games, but I can barely get through an inning without it freezing/stopping. This is unacceptable, considering how many alternatives there are out there. I love my WDTV Live SMP but this issue has me seriously considering ditching it for a Roku 3. I’ve got latest firmware and have tried everything. Also have a blazing fast 75mbps connection - MLB works perfectly on my Mac and iPhone.

WD people: PLEASE fix this issue ASAP!! or I’ll be getting rid of your box and going to the competition.

1 Like

I’ve escalated this thread. 

Just to add my two cents, I have a Mitsubishi 52 inch flat panel I bought about five years ago.  I’m running hdmi to the tv from my SMP, and unless I play a video file first, I can’t get sound on any of the services, including my favorite, Hulu.  I found out that my tv doesn’t really handle streaming sound over hdmi very well.  But for some reason, once I play a file containing sound - even for only a second - the sound on the services work. 

Right now I’m running stereo through the hdmi cable.  I found digital wouldn’t work at all.  As soon as I can, I’m setting my surround sound back up, because I never had any problems when I was running sound through my sound system.

I have the same sound issue, if i play a movie from my WD live my sound on my tv stops working, I have to unplug and reboot my tv.

I agree it would be nice to have a fix for all the MLB issues, Just completely stopped using the WD live for the last 2 or 3 weeks. because the innings are so messed up on the games.

Oh man WD really needs to get on this and fix this! I’m hardwired using an extremely fast connection, and also have latest firmware. No issues with any other apps/files - only MLB. Please don’t force me to get rid of my WD SMP and go with an Apple TV or Roku! I joined this forum just to express my disastisfaction here.

WD the message is clear - fix this NOW!

Mlb tv is still terrible.

Attempted to watch a game today, but it could barely go 5 minutes without a big stutter, pause or freeze. Twice it kicked me out completely, the third time it just locked up. All this on a wired connection, with plenty of bandwidth. Having had enough I switched to my wireless Apple TV in another room, which is working perfectly.

Please fix mlb.tv because right now it is USELESS