Mkv playback issue

Hey all, like a few others I’ve had issues with playing 720p mkv files on my wdtv. Randomly the video will freeze during playback, and I have to rewind until the wdtv actually starts rewinding and try to play the section again. Sometimes a movie will play without a hitch, other times it will freeze every 10-15 min. Super annoying!!

I see from other topics here that it might be a firmware issue and that rolling back to a previous version might help. Problem is, there are lots of previous versions. Which one should I pick to improve playback?

I doubt it’s the firmware version, all my files still play on 2.01.86 as they have on previous versions. We’d need to know more about the file (mediainfo output) and what media you’re playing it from.

Hm, ok. I’m running it off a Lexar 64 gb USB key plugged into the front outlet of the wdtv live.

I’m not sure exactly what mediaoutput into is, but based on looking at google, I used VLC to pull up this info:

Does this give you the info you meant?

Basically but it’s lacking so simply type “Mediainfo” into Google and use the Mac version? It also has a text output so you don’t need to add images to your post.

Oh ok thanks. This is the report:

General / Container Stream #1
Total Video Streams for this File…1
Total Audio Streams for this File…1
Video Codecs Used…AVC
Audio Codecs Used…AC3
File Format…Matroska
Play Time…44mn 8s
Total File Size…1.33 GiB
Total Stream BitRate…4 317 Kbps
Encoded with…mkvmerge v3.1.0 (‘Happy up here’) built on Jan 19 2010 12:09:24
Encoding Library…libebml v0.7.9 + libmatroska v0.8.1
Video Stream #1
Codec (Human Name)…AVC
Codec (FourCC)…V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Codec Profile…High@L4.1
Frame Width…1 280 pixels
Frame Height…720 pixels
Frame Rate…23.976 fps
Total Frames…63512
Display Aspect Ratio…16:9
Scan Type…Progressive
Color Space…YUV
Codec Settings (Summary)…CABAC / 8 Ref Frames
QF (like Gordian Knot)…0.171
Codec Settings (CABAC)…Yes
Codec Settings (Reference Frames)…8
Video Stream Length…44mn 8s 982ms
Video Stream BitRate…3 783 Kbps
Bit Depth…8 bits
Video Stream Size…1.17 GiB (88%)
Video Encoder…x264 - core 138 r2358 9e941d1
Video Encoder (Settings)…cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:2:2 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=18 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=5 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Video Stream Language…English
Audio Stream #1
Codec…AC-3
Codec (FourCC)…A_AC3
Audio Stream Length…44mn 8s 992ms
Audio Stream BitRate…448 Kbps
Audio Stream BitRate Mode…CBR
Number of Audio Channels…6
Audio Channel’s Positions…Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling Rate…48.0 KHz
Bit Depth…16 bits
Audio Stream Size…141 MiB (10%)

Bumping this…anyone know what the problem is?

The specs are looking ok so it should work, at least from USB. It still could be a bad encode though.

Apparently (although I haven’t encountered it) there is a bug where if a corrupted file is played, then every other file played after that will also not work properly until you do a complete power-cycle of the unit, including pulling out the power cord for 30 seconds. As Techflaws says, the specs look OK so it should play unless its being affected by the above problem. If a reboot doesn’t work you can try running the mkv file through mkvmerge gui which shouldn’t hurt the file, it just re-packages it. Create a copy of the file first just to be sure.

Thanks, I guess that must be an issue. If it was a problem isolated to one file I wouldn’t care, but this happens so often. I’ll try and power cycle and see if that helps

ronmaz wrote:
Apparently (although I haven’t encountered it) there is a bug where if a corrupted file is played, then every other file played after that will also not work properly until you do a complete power-cycle of the unit, including pulling out the power cord for 30 seconds. As Techflaws says, the specs look OK so it should play unless its being affected by the above problem. If a reboot doesn’t work you can try running the mkv file through mkvmerge gui which shouldn’t hurt the file, it just re-packages it. Create a copy of the file first just to be sure.

I have run into that issue…it is rather disconcerting to say the least and not handled as gracefully as the older WD TVLive +…however, I didn’t have to pull the power cord to recover, just a long power press complete shutdown/restart.

Thank you, thank you, THANK you! I’ve been trying to figure out how to fix this issue all morning.  Apparently, pulling the plug doesn’t work, letting the unit cool down completely and even doing a complete factory reset doesn’t work, but the ‘long press reset’ does - too weird.

As I said, many thanks! :slight_smile: