Mkv jerky playback

Hello to everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me with a problem?

I have a wd tv live box, I have set up NFS/SMB sharing and all of my films MKV AVi etc play with no problem and are very smooth in there playback. So no problems there

Now I have bought a WD TV LIVE HUB, when I playback the same films whether it is from the internal hard drive or from the network the mkv film is jerky.

I have downgraded the firmware and still get the same problem,so I upgraded to latest version and still the same problem.

Can anyone suggest how I can fix this issue or do I take a hammer to it haha

Thanks in advance

I have the same problem with VOBs.  Until  tonight doing a reset has solved it  temporarily.  When you say you “downgraded your firmware” I  assume you mean you did a “reset to factory defaults”.    If so,you made the same mistake I did in  assuming you were reverting to a previous firmware.  All that happens is the settings revert to their default at the most recent upgrade.  Use of the word factory is what led me to believe I was getting a roll back.  Anyway, I think we’re both  in the same boat.  I’ve just reposted my problem.  Hopefully someone has made some progress on this.  It’s not an uncommon occurrence.  I also have a “live” that is  playing fine.  May I  suggest you not upgrade that unit’s firmware.

Do your mkvs have header compression?  If you don’t know, but you created them using MKVtoolnix (MKVmerge), and you didn’t turn off the compression, then the answer is yes.

Tinwarble wrote:

Do your mkvs have header compression?  If you don’t know, but you created them using MKVtoolnix (MKVmerge), and you didn’t turn off the compression, then the answer is yes.

NONE of the WDTV Live products have issues with Header Compression on current firmware.  (And the Hub never did.)

TonyPh12345 wrote:

NONE of the WDTV Live products have issues with Header Compression on current firmware.  (And the Hub never did.)

Really wasn’t my point, I know that the HUB isn’t bothered by the compression.  It’s just that I have had problems with a batch of MKVs using MKVtoolnix where it applied the compression badly and gave me jerky video.  Removing the compression was a quick fix.

Hello to all,

Thanks very much for your reply’s,Reference the rollback I downloaded firmware from WD site and used that,but it did not work,I understand everything you are saying about factory reset.

yes the mkv compression was turned on and off I tried both, still no fix.

As someone suggested I will be keeping my WDTV LIVE as it is,as everything is OK with this one.

It is quite disappointing when this happens,especially when a product from same maker works great, I think I will just wait and see if a fix or something comes out before I take my hammer to it. 

Thanks to every one again