MKV format

I am converting all my movies/series to .mkv format i have two questions

• i am converting through Handbreak, what is the best setting to have this set on 

• Average Bitrate

• Quality

• Target size

I need the space so the files need to be realitivly small, but i need to ensure a good quality picture

• It the .mkv format supported by most DVD player, i am often asked for movies, which i normally just rip so will converting them into .mkv still offer this 

Unless you’re an expert your best bet is to use one of the presets.

Typically the High Profile preset will give you the absolute best quality for size – however, you could try the Standard and see if you can tell any difference.  Regardless of whether you use the Standard or the High Profile you can adjust the quality/file size by adjusting the RF (for DVD sources the best would be 20, and the minimum you could use might be around 24 – the higher the number, the worse the quality).

I don’t know what you mean by “mkv format supported by most DVD players”.  If you are looking to play your files on a DVD player you can’t do much better than leaving it as a DVD format.

shaun wrote:

• It the .mkv format supported by most DVD player, i am often asked for movies, which i normally just rip so will converting them into .mkv still offer this 

I assume you mean ‘is the .mkv format supported by most DVD players’. The answer is no.

Hi Yes you are correct

Sorry I meant

Is the .mkv format supported by most DVD player, i am often asked for movies, which i normally just rip so will converting them into .mkv still offer this 

simply can you play a CD/DVD which has a movie in a .mkv format on it in a normal DVD player

No, a DVD player plays DVDs – most will not handle other formats (some will, but it’s sketchy at best).  If you are copying (legal) DVDs for other folks, leave them at the DVD VOB format.