Mkv files, avc video, aac audio playback issues

I have several mkv files with an aac audio track which have problems.  This is the only commonality that I could find.

What basically happens is that the audio plays back at the correct speed, however the video plays back at a faster frame rate.

Has anyone experienced this?

I can re-encode the audio track to ac3 and it plays back fine.  The point though is that it’s almost working properly, there’s just a a/v sync issue.

I have the same problem with MKV files i have ripped myself with Handbrake on my Macbook. When available I use AC3 pass through for audio track 1 and AAC (coreaudio) for track 2. If a 5.1 surround track is not available I just use AAC (coreaudio). These files all play perfectly on my Macbook using VLC player. Other MKV files obtained from friends are mostly OK but I believe they only have an AC3 audio track on them.

My WD TV Live is  firmware version 1.01.11 that I upgraded via a flash drive. I just bought this unit today and if I can’t make it work with these MKV files I’m afraid it will have to go back as I plan on ripping all my DVDs with this method. I could drop the secondary AAC audio track but in some cases such as special features that I want to keep, there is no AC3 track.

I will do a test rip with AC3 only and AAC only and see if AAC is truly the problem.

i dont know why you are having this trouble because all my mkv movies plays flawlessly i even remuxxed all my mp4 into mvk and now they work perfect on my wd tv live. version 00 and 11

Is this some issue around bitrate encoding of the audio?  id there a maximum over which the WDTV  just gives up?

baxuz wrote:

i dont know why you are having this trouble because all my mkv movies plays flawlessly i even remuxxed all my mp4 into mvk and now they work perfect on my wd tv live. version 00 and 11

What is your audio format.  Simply saying they’re MKV isn’t enough.

I’m sure that for video there is a max bitrate as it would be a limitation of processing bandwidth.

For audio, it’s so low bandwidth, no matter what you do, there should be no problems.