MKV file with DTS will not play audio

Folks -

I have been scouring these boards for over an hour and have found many posts regarding this issue but somehow I am unable to put together an entire solution that works for me - I am extremely frustrated and hoping that one of you can help get me over this obstacle.

The file in question is an MKV file that will not play audio - I downloaded mkvmerge 4.0.0 (GUI) and selected the file as Input - It shows that the audio is A_DTS - I ran a mux against this file but the resulting output file still does not produce audio.

I went back into mkvmerge and tried to figure out if there were some settings that I had failed to enable/disable, specifically the compression setting that is mentioned in several posts - However, the Compression option is greyed out in the Extra Options tab regardless of which track I highlight.

I am using HDMI as my video but the composite connection as audio - I have set the Audio Output mode on the player to “Stereo” and am having no issues with this configuration when running avi files.

I have noticed that most of the “issue posts” contain a ton of detailed file information but I am not aware of how to get that information - I am clearly a newbie and would be most appreciative of any assistance that I can get.

Thanks!

Rob

Try to post the media Info, the link below will show you how to do so:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2745/session/L3RpbWUvMTMwMTU4MjAxNC9zaWQvdzRETWhqcWs%3D

First of all, oxter, thanks for the speedy reply1

Here is the file information from MediaInfo:

General
Unique ID                        : 174772780982368844840181614199941296177 (0x837C03636B8001C99499AAFAA94AF031)
Complete name                    : C:\Robsdocs\Media\TV Shows\Family Guy Jedi Episode (1).mkv
Format                           : Matroska
File size                        : 2.19 GiB
Duration                         : 56mn 35s
Overall bit rate                 : 5 533 Kbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-03-30 22:25:24
Writing application              : mkvmerge v4.0.0 (‘The Stars were mine’) built on Jun  5 2010 17:44:09
Writing library                  : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 5 frames
Format settings, GOP             : M=4, N=48
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                         : 4 022 Kbps
Width                            : 1 280 pixels
Height                           : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.182
Stream size                      : 1.55 GiB (71%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 112 r1834 a51816a
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=4022 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language                         : English

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : DTS
Format/Info                      : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID                         : A_DTS
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 24 bits
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Stream size                      : 611 MiB (27%)

Again, I downloaded mkxmerge 4.0.0 (GUI) but am open to any solution that is shorter than a full video/audio conversion and that results in a playable file - THANKS AGAIN!!

Rob

Since the bug with Matroska compression in the headers was fixed several firmwares back, I have to assume you’re still using an old firmware.

The first suggestion would be to upgrade to a newer firmware that has the bugfix.

Or, if you wish to stay on 1.02.21 (or whatever firmware you’re on), you should be able to just re-mux it… are you certain you selected _ each _ audio track (if there were more than one) and chose “Compression → NONE” in the extra settings before re-muxing?

Yes, I just bought this player used and have no idea what version of firmware it is running - I will update to the newest version and re-test.

Thanks again!

Roofing Guy -

Did not see your second question re: muxing in mkvmerge.

First, there is only one audio track - Second, when I highlight that track and click on the Extra Options tab, the Compression setting is greyed outl; I cannot choose “None” because I cannot get access to the drop-down as you can see inthe image below:

Am I missing a step?  Is there some other way to “select” the audio track?

Thanks for the assistance!

Rob

Update, that’s a really old version (they are on 4.6 now, you’re on 4.0).