.mkv enhanced subtitle formats

Many .mkv files I attempt to play have complex subtitle formats embedded in them. the WDTV Live still displays them, but in plain text at the bottom of the screen. This can be a problem for some files, as sometimes, these subtitles are used to translate on screen text such as signposts. What makes this problem worse, is that the WDTV will display only the latest text, meaning that the sign that just appeared on screen just erased the subtitles for the spoken words.

Please add support for this in a future firmware update. Complex subtitle formats give viewers real choice in their viewing experience. I have a show based on the game Mahjong, and a subtitle choice includes explanations on the game moves, but on the WDTV, this ruins the experience, because it’s now impossible to know what the characters are saying.

Your post sounds more like an Idea or a Feature Request. The best place for this is in our Ideas Lab. This way someone from WD will be sure to see it. However, I would search first and make sure that there isn’t another idea similar to yours that you could add your post to and vote on.

Ideas Lab
http://community.wdc.com/t5/community/categorypage/category-id/idea