MKV Audio Visual Sync Still An Issue?

Hi Guys,

Just got my box but already encoded a couple of hundred mkv files, (DUH!!) On playing them back I get a rough 1 second delay on the audio. I am running the box via HDMI (Audio and Visual) through a Sony Amp.

Any ideas?

I noticed a couple of references to stepping back the firmware but am finding it difficult to find the downloads?

Also I noticed a couple of guys talking about an audio adjustment delay, was this ever implemented?

I am running the latest firmware.

Cheers

Gary :smiley:

It might be the code that you are using? Post the media info of  one of your movies:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2745

Same issue here, reported it…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/Audio-sync-issues-with-MKVs-with-compression/idi-p/305720

Thanks for posting guys,

I am having the exact same probs, I am encoding with the latest handbrake and the audio is just ahead of the video, I am connected via HDMI through a Sony amp. When I connect my laptop to the same port on the amp and play the video it works fine so I agree it has to be the WD TV Live Hub.

I am going to try video striaght to the TV via HDMI and audio out through the optical to my amp but I don’t think this will work well.

Cheers

Gary

Complete name             : F:\HANNIBAL.mkv

Format                           : Matroska

Format version               : Version 2

File size                          : 2.06 GiB

Duration                         : 2h 5mn

Overall bit rate               : 2 340 Kbps

Writing application         : HandBrake 0.9.5

Writing library                : libmkv 0.6.4.1

Video ID                               : 1

Format                           : AVC

Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                   : High@L3.0

Format settings, CABAC           : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames

Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

Bit rate                         : 1 539 Kbps

Width                            : 720 pixels

Height                           : 544 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 1.855

Frame rate mode                  : Variable

Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps

Color space                      : YUV

Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0

Bit depth                        : 8 bits

Scan type                        : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.157

Stream size                      : 1.35 GiB (66%)

Writing library                  : x264 core 112

Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=3 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Language                         : English

Default                          : Yes

Forced                           : No

Color primaries                  : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361

Matrix coefficients              : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Audio

ID                               : 2

Format                           : DTS

Format/Info                      : Digital Theater Systems

Codec ID                         : A_DTS

Bit rate mode                    : Constant

Bit rate                         : 755 Kbps

Channel(s)                       : 6 channels

Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE

Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth                        : 16 bits

Compression mode                 : Lossy

Stream size                      : 680 MiB (32%)

Language                         : English

Default                          : Yes

Forced                           : No

Hi all,

Just a quick update. sent video through the HDMI straight to the TV and sound out via optical to the Sony amp as only the optical input allows lipsync adjustments. Adjusted the lipsync and all seems well but would still like to know what the problem with my encodings / the Live Hub are???

Cheers

Gary  :cry:

Ok, so if you set the AUDIO mode to STEREO, then play back on just your TV via HDMI, is the audio still out of sync?

I’ve used Handbrake a LOT, and I’ve never had an out-of-sync encode.

Its not a problem if going straight through the TV on stereo, this is why I am leaning towards a problem on the hub.

Cheers

Gary :smiley:

Did you ever resolve the issue? I’m having the same problem with FLV’s, MKV’s, MP4… What version are you running?

Thanks

I only managed to circumvent the problem by splitting my video output (HDMI straight to TV) and audio output (Optical to Sony amp) and adjusting the lipsync on the Optical input on my amp.

I would think that enough people are having the problem that WD could put a lipsync adjuster on the HDMI audio option on the Live Hub or come up with another fix.

I am running the latest firmware.

Cheers :smileyvery-happy: