MKV and x264 No longer play

Wife and I rely heavily on our live every night…The other night it was working and then the next day none of my mkv or x264 files will play…The loading screen just goes round and round and the files never start…

I have hard reset it and I have downgraded firmware and upgraded firmware…still goes round in cicles and never starts…   I am using windows 7 am fairly tech sav vy but have been unable to figure out why it went from playing the files to not playing the files and why did the firmware changes not help…

I’m on the beta .38 firmware right now I tried downgrading back to the latest stock firmware but same issues either way…

HELP

I am out of things to try…I went back to windows 32bit cause the 64 was having issues logging into my network share…That resolved it I’m now able to see my files on the wd live but those files refues to play.

I was using the .35 beta and it was working great then yesterday none of the files would play…I had not changed any settings and it then all of the sudden decided to not load and play…I then downgraded back to the latest official firmware and same problem…I’ve used a paper clip and reset it nothing…

What can I try to get my mkv or x264 files to play??

It may be that you have a new file that the WDTV does not like and it is hanging it up.

Do the following one after the other and do not use the unit until they are all done.

reset the unit with a paperclip via the side button.

reset to factory defaults using the internal menu

unplug from the power for some minutes (not seconds)

Now try and play a known good mkv which you have watched before. 

I had alot of faith in your steps… As it did stop working when I had added a new file…

So I did all your steps and left it off for about a half hour…Took quite a long time for it

to boot back up again and once it did I’m back to an issue I though I would only have with

the 64windows saying

“invalid username and password”  Which I dont use a password or username…

I’ve deleted all movies in the folder and I got one from the past I know should work

just got get past this error…Any thoughts on getting past the “invalid username” screen without

reinstaling windows which is what I did last time??

moretech wrote:

I had alot of faith in your steps… As it did stop working when I had added a new file…

So I did all your steps and left it off for about a half hour…Took quite a long time for it

to boot back up again and once it did I’m back to an issue I though I would only have with

the 64windows saying

“invalid username and password”  Which I dont use a password or username…

I’ve deleted all movies in the folder and I got one from the past I know should work

just got get past this error…Any thoughts on getting past the “invalid username” screen without

reinstaling windows which is what I did last time??

If you don’t have a password then you leave it at the default. I assume this is where you are connecting to a network share. If not give exact details of how you are playing these files.

Video then scroll down to Network Share click on the name and it used to take me straight to my shared folders…This is the second time Ive encountered this problem…I have no passwords setup on the computer and it should auto log me right into my shared folders…Now its saying invalid username and password…

In network settings try clearing login first. I had to do this on first setup of player. If you try a login or password and it dosen’t work you have to clear it each time.

I have five times in a row cleared log in info and go back and I get the same message invalid username password…Each time I got the error I went back and cleared log in info…No luck…

I really want to get back in and see if my files work…

The USB thumdrive works and plays my files it only holds 8 gigs but at least we can get back to watching our series…

However i’m still disapointed that connecting to my main computer as has worked so well for so long has all of the sudden taken a dive off a cliff and I cant connect to my share and when I do the files dont play…I have hope if I could some how convice the WD TV LIVE that hey I dont use a username or password that once into my folders the files will play again. 

Why does the media player all of the sudden think I set up a username or password when I clearly have not nor do I desire to do so…Frustrating

moretech wrote:

I have five times in a row cleared log in info and go back and I get the same message invalid username password…Each time I got the error I went back and cleared log in info…No luck…

I really want to get back in and see if my files work…

When you clear the login info are you leaving the username at ‘anonymous’.

I am fixed I am fixed I am fixed…

In another thread I read to unsitall the “windows live id assistant program” So I just uninstalled it resarted the computer and BOOM where signed in…And were playing my files just like old times…

So to those you see have this issue in the future please inform them to go into their uninstall and remove this uneeded id assistant program…

Thanks for all your help…Resttin my box as you advised worked great…