Mixing 100mb routers with gigabit unmanaged switches does affect performance

Just thought I post this up that somehow my 100MB/s wifi router manage to affect my gigabit switch. All of my ethernet connections are sitting in a row on the one cheap dlink gigabit switch and I’m watching 17GB taking 50 minutes to copy. I was going to wait it out, but finally I just couldn’t and stopped it.

Took off the one 100mb/s router and plugged it straight into the gigabit shaw router hoping that it does a better job at managing the two different speeds; one connection going to the gigabit switch and one connection going to the 100mb 1200AC Wifi Router.

After rebooting the Macbook and re-mounting the cloud, the remaining 8GB took less than a minute.

This is disconcerting… I think my dlink switch is unmanaged… if I remember reading the specs. (edit. went back to check the specs from BestBuy and couldn’t find the words unmanaged).

So there you go… add another reason why your network speed is slow; I thought we left all this old tech behind us, but apparently you get what you pay for ($30), buy an unmanaged switch and you wonder what that is all about, a switch is a switch right? which is better than a hub. I think I am most surprised by my 1200AC router that I thought was a gigabit router that turned out to be just a regular ethernet 100MB/s, but I paid $42 for it (Dlink 1200AC I thought, wow what a deal).

edit: mixing 100mb on Apple’s Airport Extreme also takes the AC router speed from 45MB/s down to 5MB/s. I have a lutron bridge for lutron homekit lights (remote control of my lights) that is a 100mbs device that is causing havoc on my network. Apparently this device was the cause of my router going at 100mbs speeds. It cannot go anywhere on my gigabit line. I’ll give it a try on the shaw modem/router and hopefully it would keep it separate.

I googled the dlink 1200 AC router and it is supposed to be a gigabit router. What is your network setup look like?

Hello Rac, thanks for jumping in to help.

This is my Dlink AC1200 router (<==click here), not the other one which costs more. $42 Canadian on boxing day sale and I thought perfect for all my Mac stuff.

If you look for what kind of ethernet ports it has, it just says:

> Fast Ethernet Ports - Connect up to 4 wired devices for ultra fast HDstreaming and online gaming.

which meant 100mb lines and this has been tested multiple times now.

The first was when I connected my clouds to it and the Cloud ports turned yellow of which I thought at that time was normal for the new clouds. Then when the comparison of data took 7 days, it finally dawned on me that it was connected at 100mb.

The final time is when I connect the router to my switch, my Dlink 8-port switch actually has a yellow led indicating a 100mb line.

This is now the weakest link in my house at which I may have to get a new gigabit AC router, we shall see.

here is my current setup.

[shaw router]
→ [switch] ===> [all my wired gigabit ethernet]
→ [AC1200] ==> [all my wifi]

Before this post, the AC1200 was connected up on the switch which took everyone down to 100mbs.

If my new routing works, the AC1200 is a keeper, otherwise it goes on sale on craigslist.

Unmanaged switches are fine, all mine are this way and I get the speeds I expect.

I thought it was working fine too until yesterday at which I got the speeds that I did not expect.

When I first created this setup, I believed I had tested it throughly, i.e. gigabit speeds to and from the clouds. At some point the switch got confused and took everyone down to 100mb. Still not sure what happened here, but the AC1200 has been moved over to the Shaw Modem/router.

Mixing 100mb on Apple’s Airport Extreme also takes the AC router speed from 45MB/s down to 5MB/s. I have a lutron bridge for lutron homekit lights (remote control of my lights) that is a 100mbs device that is causing havoc on my network. Apparently this device was the cause of my router going at 100mbs speeds. It cannot go anywhere on my gigabit line. I’ll give it a try on the shaw modem/router and hopefully it would keep it separate.