Missing Video Folder

I’m using the WDTV Live and have had no problems with it over the 8-10 months. Now, the Video folder has gone missing.

I choose Video > Media Server > MyDrive > Video (from 4 choices Browse Folders/Music/Pictures/Video) > Folders (from 2 choices: All Video/Folders) >

At this point all I see is Photos. The Video folder is missing. It was always there and this is the way I got to it.

I have turned the unit on and off, unplugged it and replugged it as well as did a paper clip reset. Still the same.

There has been no recent updates or changes to my configuration. The media Server drive (GoFlex) is accessable via my PC. Again, no changes. I turned the unit off last night when it was working and then turned it on today which it is now not.

Any help would be appreciated.

So, since there have been no replies to my question I have to assume that:

1. Western Digital support staff do not frequent this board?

2. That no one else has had this problem?

3. Both?

Did you recently re-populate the folder with all new files?

TedM1225 wrote:

So, since there have been no replies to my question I have to assume that:

1. Western Digital support staff do not frequent this board?

This isn’t WD tech support – it’s a user-to-user forum.

The WDTV should display whatever the server tells it to… especially  if you’ve made no changes to the WDTV firmware from when it was working.

I never use Media Servers, so I’ve never encountered this.

Can you see that Video folder on your PC? I use a Playon media server and a Dlink NAS with uPnP and have never seen a folder disappear. However, the Dlink allows me to configure which folders will be presented via uPnP to a media device like my WD TV Live Plus. I would make sure the folder still exists and see if GoFlex makes you specify which folders will be presented to media devices.

Answers to above:

I have always added new files to all the folders frequently and never encountered this problem.

Yes, the folder is visible from my PC. All is working as before.

Update:

Here’s another twist - last night I got the bright idea that if it wasn’t finding the ‘Video’ folder what would happen if I renamed it. So I did. I renamed the ‘Video’ folder to ‘Video2’ and the unit shows this folder! However, for whatever reason is is only showing 3 of the 10 subfolders.

I did the same as before; unplugged, reset, etc. but t still only shows 3 of the 10 subfolders.

This is totally bizarre and unacceptable.

TedM1225 wrote:

Answers to above:

I have always added new files to all the folders frequently and never encountered this problem.

The reason I asked if you had recently re-populated the folder was because if you copied all new files from another folder that was not shared over the network, the files copied from it would not have sharing enabled, and thus the folder might not be visible. 

Try this:  move some of the files to a folder you do see, them move them back.   You should then be able to see the folder and the files you just moved.