Missing Netflix and Hulu Services on new Canadian WD TV Live - UPDATE

I just bought mine from Best Buy in Toronto area. IT’s missing Netflix, etc…

Could everyone having this issue please goto…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/NETFLIX-not-available-on-canadian-models/idi-p/282282

and click on the arrow button inthe upper left corner.   This will raise the over all importance of this issue versus other bugs.

This is for BBBBBrandon.

Has WD made any progress towards this problem?   Some of us are approaching the 14 day return period some vendors require.  I don’t want to return it and go to some other product but I also don’t want to get stuck with a unit that can not be fixed because it may be a hardware issue.

Folks:  My advice:   If you’re up against a “return wall,” I’d suggest you return it.

If that’s the important feature to you, then get your money back and wait.  No risk in that approach.  The risk in waiting is obvious, as Radye points out…

We are releasing a fix for the Netflix issue VERY soon.

1 Like

I am also from Montreal.  Bought the unit at Future Shop yesterday.  I confirm that Netflix, CinemaNow, Hulu Plus, BlockBuster and Pandora are missing.  Only 14 items in Services menu. 

My IP address is recognized as being located in Canada:

Web Request:  http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/wdtvlive/ws_wdtvlive.asmx/getLocation

Returns CANADA as the country.

Hello all,

Myself and a friend both purchased these units from FutureShop in Victoria, BC, Canada last Tuesday (11/01/2011).

It was also for sale at BestBuy, but they were sold out.

For both myself and my friend, we are experiencing the same Netflix issue (not visible).

I also note the other services mentioned below are not present (EG: Blockbuster, CinemaNow, etc.)

For myself, the Netflix service is the only point of concern with an otherwise perfect unit.

With regards to the pending fix from WD, I expect this will be distributed via a new firmware revision (or perhaps a minor hot-fix)?

Name:WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (SMP)

P/N:        WDBHG70000NBK-01

MODEL: WDBHG70000NBK-VESN
FW:1.03.10 (current as of 11/01/2011) 

Netflix issue aside, good job on making a fine product WD! :slight_smile:

Just bought the WD TV Live (WDBHG70000NBK-VESN) from Futureshop and have the same problem of Netflix not appearing.

Accroding to http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/wdtvlive/ws_wdtvlive.asmx/getLocation my location is Ontario, Canada.

In addition I also have an Apple TV (2nd Generation) and Sony SMP-N100 which both work flawlessly with my Netflix account.

Accessing Netflix is important, so if  the WD TV can’t be fixed, then I’m returning it.

I am a newbie, but always looking to learn from you gurus…   Maybe this may help our problem.  A friend of mine, who lives in Hamilton, Ontario, recently bought the WD TV Live Hub, and experienced the same problem as we are all going through (No Netflix).  He contacted tech support, and was advised that they are aware of this problem, and will be correcting it.   He was e-mailed a firmware upgrade, which he installed.  He now has Netflix fully operational on his hub.  I will be doing the same, when tech support opens at 8.00am this morning.

Cheers,

Hey guys,

I’m not WD staff or anything, but they are aware of the issue and will be issuing a fix very soon. The reply is earlier in this thread.

Could you please ask your friend if he also got Hulu Plus and Blockbuster etc as well.   Wouldn’t mind having a copy of that firmware without having to jump through hoops with tech support again.

I contacted tech support, and was advised that they do not have a fix for the Live TV yet, but are working on it.  They do however, have one for the similar unit that has the 1TB hard drive.($ 199.99 at BestBuy).    I later contacted my friend in Hamilton, and realized that he actually has THAT unit. Not the Live TV that we have.  Sorry for the confusion.   So, as far as I can see, presently, the only way around this problem, is to either wait for the fix, or return it, and buy the other unit.  I will be returning mine, and buying the other unit.  I’ll keep you posted…

Why though? It seems like a firmware update is only a couple days away.

Indeed. And why do people care so much about having access Netflix? The selection of the canadian Netflix is just plain awful and you can’t access the US version, same goes for accessing Hulu services (unless you get an US ip address)…

Netflix recently announced that they are going to greatly increase content on the Canadian side and while I have seen both sides of the fence, I don’t have a problem with the Canadian content.

Any ETA on the update/fix? I bought this thing for my dad to use Netflix and so far it’s just collecting dust.

I just bought a WD TV Live at a FutureShop in Montreal today.

I did 2 sequential firmware upgrades which were offered to me.

No Netflix under my services either (that’s actually why I’ve been looking for this discussion).

I hope they make another firmware upgrade or something and fix this.

just brought back mine to best buy , since wd dont seems to be working on the solution…

bought an lg smart tv upgrader at wal-mart for $98 canadian and it works great , even with netflix.

if anyone is interested… it is LG smart tv upgrader  ST600. 

problem solved for me

But they are confirmed to be working on the problem. There are other issues, too, so it’s probably already fixed while other problems are fixed and just undergoing some testing.

Patience.

Plus one to that.
Any kind of software development and support is a staged process.
They need to qa all the changes and fixes to ensure something else does not break with the release.
Its like a tower of jenga and patience is manditory.
If you want to return the item then its your choice, but dont get angery for a company following industry best practices.