Missing Apps

Hi,

I just purchased the WD Play and set it up in my home. I have interfaced the Play to my wireless network. However, there are certain apps that are missing from the ‘All My Apps’ section that were advertised in store, like Pandora and Hulu Plus.

I’m not really sure if I’m supposed to install these apps myself, or if they are loaded with the firmware. I didn’t see any helpful information in the manual or online in the forums or elsewhere. 

Things I have tried:

1. Update the firmware

2. Reset to factory settings

Please advise, thanks.

It may depend on where you live.  What country do you live in?

I live in the United States. To be specific, I live in Huntington Beach, about 15 minutes from the WD HQ in Irvine where I bought this media player.

In the store, they demoed it with Pandora and Hulu Plus. Which is why I’m confused.

The Play has around 28 apps. but maybe not all show up on screen.  Perhaps you need to select the ones you want to see.  Why not download the complete user manual from WD support and see if there is something you need to do.

mike27oct wrote:

Why not download the complete user manual from WD support and see if there is something you need to do.

I’ve already read the manual. There isn’t anything in there about selecting apps. From what I’ve read online, it looks like apps are supposed to just be there depending on your FW.

mike27oct wrote:

The Play has around 28 apps. but maybe not all show up on screen.

My Play shows 30 apps, but none of them are Pandora or Hulu Plus.

mike27oct wrote:

Perhaps you need to select the ones you want to see.

The only thing I’ve found is that your geographical location can affect which apps you have. Some people in Australia, Europe, Canada, etc. were complaining they didn’t have access to Netflix. But I live in the middle of Orange County, adjacent to WD HQ and just outside of Los Angeles. I don’t see how I could be in a restricted zone.

Anyways, I find it hard to believe that I’m the FIRST person to experience this problem. Surely someone has the answer somewhere.

sheebson wrote:

Anyways, I find it hard to believe that I’m the FIRST person to experience this problem. Surely someone has the answer somewhere.

Well, if you searched the forum and found no one else, then I guess you are the first.

The answer is to take it back to the shop or contact WD support. This is a user to user forum. The apps should be there and if you live in the US and you reset the player then they should appear. You are correct that the apps are shown or not depending on the Geo-location information which the player gets from a WD server.

richUK wrote:

The answer is to take it back to the shop or contact WD support. This is a user to user forum. The apps should be there and if you live in the US and you reset the player then they should appear. You are correct that the apps are shown or not depending on the Geo-location information which the player gets from a WD server.

Ok, I’ll take exchange it today and let you know how my replacement fares.

Hopefully. it is not defective, but rather some sort of control you haven’t found.  At any rate, since you live 15 minutes from the WD HQ and onsite store, you have an advantage most foks don’t have for getting a problem resolved.  Good luck.