Mirroring better?

Why is mirroring better than just using TimeMachine on a NAS?

Well for one its a NAS so you would be able to access it from outside the network and use it for all the features a NAS has. Other than that as stated in the other posted I started this product is just an inflated EX2 with less features. 

What do you mean exactly, please elaborate cause i dont understand? :cry:

sxc7885 is referring to his earlier post in this sub-forum…see it yourself to understand →   http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-Mirror/You-have-to-be-joking/td-p/718142

As cybernut1 said I was indeed refering to my earlier post with the fact that the EX2 and the mirror are near identical. But for your question you can consider the mirror or ex2 if you want to be dropbox with time machine built in so 2 devices/prodcuts in 1

So if i understood correctly you are saying that both (Mirror and EX2) can be used as the following: to store files in one hard drive and on the other hard drive to have it as a backup by TimeMachine. Did i get it right?

Also please let me know, what issues does the EX2 and Mirror have that WD has not yet adressed?

I’ll try to explain;

If you purchase the 8tb model and have it setup in RAID 1 (Mirror) then your total available space will be 4tb.  The reason for this is because the drive will automatically and continuosly mirror all data that is written on one drive to the other. (The 8TB model comes with two 4TB drives installed)  That way if one drive becomes unstable, or fails, the other drive has a complete mirror image.  You can then replace the failed drive with a new drive of the same size or larger and the system will replicate the data from the unfailed drive to the newly installed drive.  By using the RAID 1 mode of your drive you dont have to worry about backing up your data, it is being backed up automatically all the time. 

Vertech1 wrote:

By using the RAID 1 mode of your drive you dont have to worry about backing up your data, it is being backed up automatically all the time. 

Please keep in mind that RAID is not the same thing as a backup.    It only provides drive redundancy.

You can recover data from a backup if you accidentally delete or corrupt a file.  You cannot recover deleted data from a RAID.

If you don’t have true backups, you will lose your data at some point…

Might i have a comment on the following?

"So if i understood correctly you are saying that both (Mirror and EX2) can be used as the following: to store files in one hard drive and on the other hard drive to have it as a backup by TimeMachine. Did i get it right?

Also please let me know, what issues does the EX2 and Mirror have that WD has not yet adressed?"

The entire mycloud lime up is plagued with problems that they don’t address with firmware release.

I have not been too happy with WD products also to be frank. I have a MyBookStudio 1TB drive that i use with TimeMachine and twice all the TM files had been deleted out in the blue +the fact that one of the led lights has failed to light up!

I dont know what im gonna do with WD and now that you say this it about addressed issues you are giving me the kreeps in purchasing another WD drive for my valuable data!

1. Should i be looking for some other brand and what that might be?

2. Is there firmware for my MyBookStudio 1TB?

1. Is it true that using the 1drive as storage and the other as a TM backup there is a possibility that if the WDmyCloudMirror drive fails i can loose all the data from both drives?

“The entire mycloud line up is plagued with problems”

please elaborate, what kind of problems are you experiencing?

And let me add that i just saw that they have released a firmware update!!