[Mini Guide] Upgrading existing HDD

Just to give back to the community, I did not find exact simple help on this specific process. A lot of details are available in the Debrick MyBookLive v2.0, but it can be a little daunting.

So my scenario is to upgrade a drive to a larger one, including keeping the original My Book OS (as I had customized it as well). I went from 1TB->3TB. Your mileage may vary, but very simply this is what I did.

1. Backup your current drive (however you do it)
  2. Disassemble the unit
  3. Attach both current HD (A) and new one (B) in computer each on its own SATA port (you could use a USB dongle for reading the original one)
  4. Use HDD Raw Copy (a windows freeware program or DD I think in Linux) to copy A to B
  5. Use System Rescue to Resize the last partition (ext4) to the full space available (I didnt even burn a CD, so no CD player needed, you can use a USB version like I did)
  6. Re-assemble, and that’s it.

Worked like a charm for me.

The one caveat is: I had to turn off the the iTunes and DLNA Media Streaming in the UI as it spend too much time scanning and light was flashing green for hours. I think this is because the swap space is not increased. But for my scenario, this was simple.

Thank you, I hope it helps someone to simplify the process.

1 Like