Migrating HDD from EX2 to PR4100

Hi,

I recently upgraded to a PR4100 unit, and looking to move my 2x 2TB from my EX2 over.

The 2x2TB is currently setup as RAID1; however, RAID1 is degraded with HDD2 showing Bad at disk check.

I backed up all my data and formatted both drives. What I wish to do is change RAID1 to JBOD, and use the good drive in the PR4100 and see what I can do to repair the bad drive. Here’s my issue:

1. I cannot change raid1 to jbod because drive 2 is bad, is there any way to work around this without having to replace drive 2.

2. For drive 2, is there software out there that can diagnose and possibly repair it? Moving forward, the drive will only be used to store unimportant files anyway. Just hoping to repurpose it if it cannot be used as a RAID drive confidently.

thank you so much!

Hi @joejoe3 ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

I was able to figure this out - hope this may help others in the future with similar issue.

1. Remove HDD from NAS
  2. Plug HDD into a usb3 HDD dock
    (Optional) - Run WD Dashboard and do the extended scan - my HDD came back with an error 7 code.
  3. Go into windows disk management, select the drive (*mine showed a basic drive and not dynamic).
  4. Delete all volumes, if you can’t - format the RAW volumes into NTFS, and then delete the volumes.
  5. Eventually with all volumes deleted, you can now create a new volume with the unallocated into one single NTFS volume
  6. Go into my PC, right click the HDD and select format again - uncheck quick format and allow windows to do a FULL FORMAT on the hard drive under NTFS
  7. Re-run WD dashboard’s extended scan - in my case it fixed the error.
  8. Repeat with other HDD.
  9. Now you can insert both drives back into the NAS, and choose the RAID mode desired - it should go through if both your HDD now shows no error.

** I wouldn’t use my HDD for important material after this, probably just for additional storage of media files that could be easily replaced.

1 Like