Migrating data from EX2

I’m planning on taking the next step and build my own media server after having used the WD EX2 for a while. It’s been great to get me into the NAS world, but my needs require something a bit more powerful. The problem is that I have several terabytes of data stored away on those drives and I’m not sure what the easiest way would be to migrate it to the new system.

It would be great if I could just migrate the 2 hard drives over, but from all of my research this doesn’t seem to be a possibility. So is my only option to transfer via a USB cable between the two machines?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

I don’t believe you will be able to use the EX2 via USB to a computer, something you can try is using a sync software that can copy the files to a different location on the network, this way you can make sure the information is the same way it was on the first device, lets see if another user can share some tips or information on this matter.

Thanks! OK, so I can check off the USB transfer. I’m currently looking into what you recommended. I downloaded FastCopy, but maybe there is something more suited to network transfers that I haven’t seen yet.

Hi there,
I’m currently experiencing the same problem: bought a new EX4100 (empty) and want to move data and drives from my “old” EX4 (4 x 4TB).
I have connected a external HD via the USB port on the backside and are currently running a backup onto this HD.
The plan is - after backup is completed - to swap the drives into my new EX4100 and copy the data from the external backup onto it
…hope it will work :wink:

I actually used this piece of software called Fast Copy. It uses a terminal and is multi-threaded so it is waaay faster than your standard copy/paste in via the Windows gui. I moved 4TB of data in little over a day.

I’m just running the Backupt-tool which comes with the dashboard. Until now it seems not to be the slowest way :slightly_smiling:
But obviously there is a way to migrate data and drives without backuping / copying … just swapping the drives, as written in another thread in the community. I will try soon, but first complete the backup. Better be safe.

Why not enable SSH on both devices and then use “scp” to copy the files over from one NAS to the other ?