Metathumb displays wrong cover

Wow!

What should I do with that? Copy all the text to the notepad and create a tmdb.xml file and try to install it later?

Where did you get those lines? As far as I know, they have something in German (you know, there’s a “de” next to “language” which should be “en”, right?)

Yep, that was the idea.

Oh yes, you are right. in line 2, 118 and 121 there are “de” entries instead of “en”. Seems I played already with this file. Sorry for that

But it didn’t work. As you know, we need to use api V3 of tmdb to get language specific thumbs.

cbram wrote:

But it didn’t work. As you know, we need to use api V3 of tmdb to get language specific thumbs.

So… this thing doesn’t work at all? How do we use that api V3 thing?

I’m sorry… I have no idea what to do but I don’t want you to spend all day with my problem :wink:

Thanks anyway, mate.

Well, it’s not just your problem, mine as well. So you are not the born xml coder?

Never mind

Am I (or we) the only ones with this problem?

I’ve seen other posts like this with no solution yet.

Actually, I didn’t start this thread (I just subscribed to it). My thread has no replies.

Is there anybody from WD out there? I wrote them yesterday and I’m still waiting for a solution.

I still don’t know why WD can’t add a very (very, very, very) simple option to choose which poster to use.

The thumb and the backdrops, too.

Steve W

Pecker wrote:

I still don’t know why WD can’t add a very (very, very, very) simple option to choose which poster to use.

The thumb and the backdrops, too.

Steve W

I’m not sure it would be simple to code, but I’d like that too.  I get Spanish and German coverart, would really prefer English.  I just live with it for now.

The ability to search alternate databases would be nice too, suggested quite a few times.

The Hub is supposed to recover the highest rated cover art from themoviedb.org according to the device’s default language, right?

OK. Now I’m getting the right cover for Revenge of the Sith (I don’t know why), but I’m still getting the wrong one for The Godfather II (the ugly french one).

Why, dammit? This thing is driving me crazy!

It should download this cover:

…instead of this crappy cover:

P.S. Tons of kudos for the one who solves this riddle.

This issue got personal now.

Here’s what I did…

I got the info for “The Godfather: Part II” movie (with the ugly French thumbnail, of course).

Then, I took a look at the movie’s hidden .xml file with the notepad (I downloaded a free XML editor and it didn’t help).

So, I got all those confusing and almost unreadable words, letters, characters and symbols all together.

I selected the whole line that included the .jpg letters between the first “thumbnail” word and the “backdrop” one.

I copied that line and pasted it to the JDownloader so it can do the dirty work by ignoring the useless symbols and letters and focus on the images’ urls.

It automatically downloaded 19 thumbnails with slightly different sizes (almost similar with each other) but also with different languages and designs.

I found out that most of them were in English, some of them were in German and Italian, a couple of French ones and one for Spanish an Portuguese, respectively.

The first thumbnail in that .xml file is the French one I was talking about, then comes the the German, English and so on…

My questions remains unanswered: why is the French one on the first place or the German one on the second position? why is the English one in the third place, anyway? (my Hub is set on English).

So, I copied the long weird name of the English cover and replaced the French one that was on the first place inside the .xml file.

Then, I changed the file format of the “good” .jpg file to a .metathumb file and renamed it with the same movie file’s name.

After that, I deleted all the hidden files and folders that may have something to do with “thumbnailing” inside the whole Hub.

Finally, I fully turned off the Hub by pressing the power button for 3 or 4 seconds and turned it on again.

It did the compiling database thing (or something like that… I can’t remember) by itself… et voilà!

The Hub generated 11 new proprietary “thumbnail files” (according to the cover art I wanted) with totally diferent sizes.

OK… this is not a real solution or something that nobody has tried before… I guess (but it works).

Why do I have to do that from now on, dammit? (well, actually, when I don’t like the chosen cover art becasue of its language, of course).

I want the Hub to automatically select the correct cover art… is that so wrong?

Am I asking too much, WD?

BTW, I contacted the support area regarding this “terrible” issue about 3 days ago and I had no reply.

Kudos for me!

Okay, here’s what I’ve done.

Turnoff your media library.

Clear your media library.

Go into your HDD or NAS/Server and delete the media library folder there, too.

Go into the XML document using an XML editor and delete all of the lines from towards the end which deal with thumbnails.

Create your own thumbnal, and put it in the same folder as the film, and with the same name.

Do a complete power down on the player.

Unplug for 10 seconds and plug back in.

Turn the media library back on.

This sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t, but more often than not it does.

Steve W

Pecker wrote:

Okay, here’s what I’ve done.

Turnoff your media library.

Clear your media library.

Go into your HDD or NAS/Server and delete the media library folder there, too.

Go into the XML document using an XML editor and delete all of the lines from towards the end which deal with thumbnails.

Create your own thumbnal, and put it in the same folder as the film, and with the same name.

Do a complete power down on the player.

Unplug for 10 seconds and plug back in.

Turn the media library back on.

This sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t, but more often than not it does.

Steve W

Thanks, Steve.

I have already done that. I guess I’ll try to correct just the wrong covers.

But this thing is getting crazier, dude… for example, I just got a poor resolution movie which got a decent cover art and then I got the same movie (and same name, of course) but with a better quality (BTW, I have 2 folders for movies: 1 for standard resolution and 1 for HD quality) and when got the cover this one, it was different! (good but different).

In other words: same movie in different folders decided to get different covers between each other. Both covers are fine and in English (of course, now I’m going to delete the poor quality one).

I got Russian covers too…

Also, I have a couple of Spanish movies but since I want them to have its real name and description in that language, I switched the Hub’s language to Spanish for a while, just to get those right covers, names and info. It worked.

Later, the device turned crazy: I had all of my movies “duplicated” !

So, I erased some hidden files, fully powered off, turned on and everything went back to normal.

This Hub thing has a LOT of bugs!

The firmware should be simplier (like the first ones). It should create only a few files per movie, not a dozen.

And it should be faster too.

Just sayin’.

Sorry to drag this one up, but I have just created the information for Knight & Day (the one with Tom Cruise in it) and the SMP pulls up a Spanish or Italian metathumb, it will not find an English version.

Can anyone recommend how I get it changed to an English version please?

starwarsclark wrote:

Sorry to drag this one up, but I have just created the information for Knight & Day (the one with Tom Cruise in it) and the SMP pulls up a Spanish or Italian metathumb, it will not find an English version.

Can anyone recommend how I get it changed to an English version please?

When this happens to me I google the correct cover, then rename it including the extension (to xxx.metathumb in my case).

If googled file is to big , just resize it to the same size as a thumb that does show correctly.

Then delete the .wdtv folder (hidden) on hdd, then restart SMP. The .wdtv folder regenerates itself with the new thumb.

Cheers

Ritaben,

Thanks for the help, tried it didn’t work. No idea why, will have another go tonight.

I just checked the movie database and the SMP is choosing a Portugese image!!! no idea why.

This is what I did last night:

1. Googled an English Knight and Day image

2. Right click and saved it to my desktop - Image was only 10Kb (orginal found Portugese image is 9Kb)

3. Right click and renamed picture as knight and day.metathumb

4. Deleted the Portugese metathumb from the USB drive.

5. Deleted the .wdtv folder from the USB drive.

6. Copied the English picture into my USB drive.

7. Rescanned my SMP.

Result = Nothing, no picture for Knight and Day at all.

Any suggestions as to what I have done wrong?

starwarsclark wrote:

Ritaben,

Thanks for the help, tried it didn’t work. No idea why, will have another go tonight.

I just checked the movie database and the SMP is choosing a Portugese image!!! no idea why.

This is what I did last night:

1. Googled an English Knight and Day image
  1. Right click and saved it to my desktop - Image was only 10Kb (orginal found Portugese image is 9Kb)
  1. Right click and renamed picture as knight and day.metathumb
  1. Deleted the Portugese metathumb from the USB drive.
  1. Deleted the .wdtv folder from the USB drive.
  1. Copied the English picture into my USB drive.
  1. Rescanned my SMP.

Result = Nothing, no picture for Knight and Day at all.

Any suggestions as to what I have done wrong?

Did you use the get info option on SMP to generate the incorrect cover, if you did there should be an xml file for that movie.

If you cancelled the get info because of the incorrect cover showing, then maybe an xml file hasn’t been created and if so I suggest you  use get info to get the info, even with incorrect cover, then try steps 4, 5, 6, & 7 again.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply.

I used the Get Info function and it generated the wrong thumb and an XML file. I deleted the incorrect thumb and tried to get the SMP to see the version I created, but no joy.

starwarsclark wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I used the Get Info function and it generated the wrong thumb and an XML file. I deleted the incorrect thumb and tried to get the SMP to see the version I created, but no joy.

Have a look in the .wd_tv folder for the cached thumb of that movie, if it is showing the incorrect folder there, you will have to delete the .wd_tv folder again and then ensure you have the the 3 files for that movie i.e. “movie. avi”, “movie.metathumb (the correct one)” & “movie. xml” and then restart the SMP.

Cheers