Metathumb displays wrong cover

I can see on TMDB.com that there are many different covers for the same movie. What desides what cover I get for my movie? I have a movie called “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy” and for some reason my SMP insist on getting the russian cover for the movie. My SMP is set up as english.

It’s supposed to download the poster that’s Highest Rated on the TMDB website.

I’ve seen times when the JPG that’s downloaded has an EXIF thumbnail imbedded in it that was far different than the main image.

The movie 2001 is STILL that way.  :)

I had to delete the EXIF thumbnail from the JPG image to get the correct thumb to show.

I wish that WD would let us choose what poster to use as metathumb.

martinboy wrote:

I can see on TMDB.com that there are many different covers for the same movie. What desides what cover I get for my movie? I have a movie called “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy” and for some reason my SMP insist on getting the russian cover for the movie. My SMP is set up as english.

I have a similar problem with my Hub… I have it set up as English too but it “decides” to download italian covers instead.

For example, the highest rated English cover on themoviedb.org (which is the only meta-source data I have) for “Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith” is the best one because it has the same design as the other movies of the saga. Instead, my Hub downloads the italian one, “La Vendetta del Sith”, which really **bleep** because of its quality, because it’s taken from de DVDs and because it has nothing to do with the design of the first movie (not to mention the wrong language itself).

How can I solve this issue?

Thanks is advance.

tianchi wrote:

martinboy wrote:

I have a similar problem with my Hub… I have it set up as English too but it “decides” to download italian covers instead.

For example, the highest rated English cover on themoviedb.org (which is the only meta-source data I have) for “Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith” is the best one because it has the same design as the other movies of the saga. Instead, my Hub downloads the italian one, “La Vendetta del Sith”, which really **bleep** because of its quality, because it’s taken from de DVDs and because it has nothing to do with the design of the first movie (not to mention the wrong language itself).

How can I solve this issue?

Thanks is advance.

How about you download the info manually, then you can choose the correct info from a list.

richUK wrote:

How about you download the info manually, then you can choose the correct info from a list.

That’s exactly what I’m doing! It’s very weird…

The default language is English, so it should pick the most voted English cover from that database.

When manually I select “Get content info”, I have only one cover to choose from.

The example again: I have “Revenge of the Sith”, I get the info, it appears in English (name and description), but when I see the cover, it is in Italian (La Vendetta del Sith).

OK. I just did some cleaning inside the Hub, cleared all cache files (or something like that), back to factory default, erased ALL hidden files via PC (including wd folders, xml files, metasomething, etc). I didn’t work.

Then, I pressed the reset button with a clip (under the Hub). I configured English language and some other stuff (except for time zone and city in the weather app).

It worked. I got all my six Star Wars well designed covers.

Finally, I configured the city and time zone. I checked if the covers where wrong by doing a rescan. Everything OK.

Then, I tried to get content info from another saga: The Godfather… dammit! The description appeared in good English but the cover was in ugly French: “Le Parrain”.

What the heck is going on here? I don’t understand… this thing is driving me crazy.

Any suggestions?

This may be the problem

http://help.themoviedb.org/discussions/problems/220-api-v2-impossible-to-identify-main-english-poster-for-a-movie

richUK wrote:

This may be the problem

http://help.themoviedb.org/discussions/problems/220-api-v2-impossible-to-identify-main-english-poster-for-a-movie

Thanks for your reply, dude.

Can you tell what is that API thing and how can I switch to v3, according to the guy in the link?

BTW… do you have/had that problem too? have you switched to that version? this issue has something to do with the latest Hub firmware?

The WDTV players get their info via The Movie Data Base (tmdb) api. I assume that it is built into the firmware for the player.  Unfortunately the Movie Data Base is an ongoing project and can be too easily manipulated by users who add the info.

No I do not have the problem.

I didn’t have that problem before… all the covers were perfect.

But after a terrible disk crash, all my files disappeared just like that (long story).

WD suggested me to install a previous firmware to fix that. It didn’t work.

Then I installed the latest firmware and nothing happened.

I think that every new firmware that comes out is for worse: for example, the lastest one makes the Hub interface more slow, it downloads tons of ridiculous hidden data just for a single movie (more than 6MB per movie and a lot of files and folders duplicated in different places).

I think WD screwed the original firmware (OK, it has more “channels” and stuff, but the functionality has decreased).

The first firmware was more “basic” but more stable, I guess.

I think I’m gonna make a downgrade… but I still don’t understand why this final firmware did worked well with the covers (before “the dark times”, of course).

Any idea on why that guy talked about an API version switch from v2 to v3? How do I do such thing?

Thanks for your time, bro.

As far as I know there is nothing you can do about the api, its built into the player firmware. The link I gave you is for developers to pass back bugs etc. I only posted it because it looks like your problem could be some sort of ‘bug’ with the Movie data base.

1 Like

Maybe I should write directly to WD regarding this issue before a possible downgrade.

I guess I’m not the only one with this crappy problem… but nobody could solve it yet.

Thanks again for investigation work.

Kudos for you…

Hi all,

actually, the script that pulls the data is part of the themes and can therefore be changed . Its filename is tmdb.xml

cbram wrote:

Hi all,

actually, the script that pulls the data is part of the themes and can therefore be changed . Its filename is tmdb.xml

I don’t have such file… I searched the whole Hub via PC, including the hidden files and folders…

Where do you have it and what does it contain?

Thanks.

You need to get the xml files of a Gen3 compatible theme that contains the complete set of files, like the Alaska theme from desertwedge. Can be found here in the discussion forum.

To get the files from the original Mochi theme download the latest GPL Code package from here:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=1011&sid=161&lang=en

Complete unpack and untar that package, and then you can look for tmdb.xml. The howto upload the xml can be found in the themes Forum for the Hub.

cbram wrote:

You need to get the xml files of a Gen3 compatible theme that contains the complete set of files, like the Alaska theme from desertwedge. Can be found here in the discussion forum.

To get the files from the original Mochi theme download the latest GPL Code package from here:

Complete unpack and untar that package, and then you can look for tmdb.xml. The howto upload the xml can be found in the themes Forum for the Hub.

Thanks again for your reply…

So, you’re saying that I need to install a modern theme to get those files?

I like Mochi. Is there an updated version or something?

That link belongs to another device (not the Hub). It works the same?

Is it safe to install that package for a newbie like me? You know, there are a lot of warnings from WD…

tanchi,

I made an experiment this evening. Took the tmdb.xml file from the Mochi skin and extracted it. Loaded it onto an USB key and plugged it to the front of the box. Then in “setup/system” you can choose the database where to load from. Select the file on the USB key and it will use this script for loading. At least it worked with the non modified .xml.

Since I am not good enough in scripting to really give it a try by modifying the script please share your results with us.

Cheers

1 Like

cbram wrote:

tanchi,

I made an experiment this evening. Took the tmdb.xml file from the Mochi skin and extracted it. Loaded it onto an USB key and plugged it to the front of the box. Then in “setup/system” you can choose the database where to load from. Select the file on the USB key and it will use this script for loading. At least it worked with the non modified .xml.

Since I am not good enough in scripting to really give it a try by modifying the script please share your results with us.

Cheers

Well, thanks for doing experiments for me. Some kudos for you.

I want to give it a try but… where is that Mochi skin file in my Hub or where can I download it?

If you’re not good in scripting, then I’m doomed :wink:

Well, I desribed it a few posts earlier:

To accelerate this a bit, here you go:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<scraper framework="1.1" date="2009-11-11" name="themoviedb.org" content="movies" thumb="tmdb.png" language="de">
	<include>common/tmdb.xml</include>
	<include>common/dtrailer.xml</include>
	<GetSettings dest="3">
		<RegExp input="$$5" output="&lt;settings&gt;\1&lt;/settings&gt;" dest="3">
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;setting label=&quot;Enable Fanart&quot; type=&quot;bool&quot; id=&quot;fanart&quot; default=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/setting&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression/>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;setting label=&quot;Enable Trailers from Dtrailer.com&quot; type=&quot;bool&quot; id=&quot;dtrailer&quot; default=&quot;false&quot;&gt;&lt;/setting&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression/>
			</RegExp>
			<expression noclean="1"/>
		</RegExp>
	</GetSettings>
	<CreateSearchUrl dest="3">
		<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;url&gt;http://api.themoviedb.org/2.1/Movie.search/$INFO[language]/xml/c014e6cf75cea3567bc035b5c9d2c5c6/\1&lt;/url&gt;" dest="3">
			<RegExp input="$$2" output="%20(\1)" dest="4">
				<expression clear="yes">(.+)</expression>
			</RegExp>
		</RegExp>
	</CreateSearchUrl>
	<NfoUrl dest="3">
		<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;url&gt;http://api.themoviedb.org/2.1/Movie.imdbLookup/$INFO[language]/xml/c014e6cf75cea3567bc035b5c9d2c5c6/\1&lt;/url&gt;&lt;id&gt;\2&lt;/id&gt;" dest="3">
			<expression clear="yes" noclean="1">(.+)</expression>
		</RegExp>
	</NfoUrl>
	<GetTMDBId dest="3">
		<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;url cache=&quot;tmdb-\1.xml&quot;&gt;http://api.themoviedb.org/2.1/Movie.getInfo/$INFO[language]/xml/c014e6cf75cea3567bc035b5c9d2c5c6/\1&lt;/url&gt;&lt;id&gt;\1&lt;/id&gt;" dest="3+">
			<expression>&lt;id&gt;([0-9]*)&lt;/id&gt;</expression>
		</RegExp>
	</GetTMDBId>
	<GetSearchResults dest="8">
		<RegExp input="$$3" output="&lt;results&gt;\1&lt;/results&gt;" dest="8">
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;entity&gt;&lt;title&gt;\1&lt;/title&gt;&lt;id&gt;\2&lt;/id&gt;&lt;url cache=&quot;tmdb-\2.xml&quot;&gt;http://api.themoviedb.org/2.1/Movie.getInfo/$INFO[language]/xml/c014e6cf75cea3567bc035b5c9d2c5c6/\2&lt;/url&gt;&lt;desc&gt;\3&lt;/desc&gt;&lt;year&gt;\4&lt;/year&gt;&lt;thumb&gt;\5&lt;/thumb&gt;&lt;/entity&gt;" dest="3">
				<expression repeat="yes">&lt;movie&gt;.*?&lt;name&gt;([^&lt;]*)&lt;/name&gt;.*?&lt;id&gt;([^&lt;]*)&lt;/id&gt;.*?&lt;overview&gt;([^&lt;]*)&lt;/overview&gt;.*?&lt;released&gt;([^&lt;]*)&lt;/released&gt;.*?&lt;images&gt;(.*?)&lt;/images&gt;.*?&lt;/movie&gt;</expression>
			</RegExp>
		</RegExp>
	</GetSearchResults>
	<GetDetails dest="3">
		<RegExp input="$$5" output="&lt;details&gt;\1&lt;/details&gt;" dest="3">
                        <RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;id&gt;\1&lt;/id&gt;" dest="5">
                                <expression noclean="1">&lt;id&gt;([^&lt;]*)&lt;/id&gt;</expression>
                        </RegExp>
                        <RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;imdb_id&gt;\1&lt;/imdb_id&gt;" dest="5+">
                                <expression clear="yes" noclean="1">&lt;imdb_id&gt;([^&lt;]*)&lt;/imdb_id&gt;</expression>
                        </RegExp>
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;title&gt;\1&lt;/title&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression>&lt;name&gt;([^&lt;]*)&lt;/name&gt;</expression>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;mpaa&gt;\1&lt;/mpaa&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression>&lt;certification&gt;([^&lt;]*)</expression>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;year&gt;\1&lt;/year&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression>&lt;released&gt;([^&lt;]*)</expression>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;runtime&gt;\1&lt;/runtime&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression>&lt;runtime&gt;([^&lt;]*)&lt;/runtime&gt;</expression>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;rating&gt;\1&lt;/rating&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression>&lt;rating&gt;([^&lt;]*)&lt;/rating&gt;</expression>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;trailer&gt;\1&lt;/trailer&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression>&lt;trailer&gt;([^&lt;]*)&lt;/trailer&gt;</expression>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;genre&gt;\1&lt;/genre&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression repeat="yes">&lt;category type=&quot;genre&quot;.*?name=&quot;([^&quot;]*)&quot;</expression>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;studio&gt;\1&lt;/studio&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression repeat="yes">&lt;studio.*?name=&quot;([^&quot;]*)&quot;</expression>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;plot&gt;\1&lt;/plot&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression>&lt;overview&gt;([^&lt;]*)&lt;/overview&gt;</expression>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;overview&gt;\1&lt;/overview&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression>&lt;overview&gt;([^&lt;]*)&lt;/overview&gt;</expression>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;director&gt;\1&lt;/director&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression repeat="yes">&lt;person.*?name=&quot;([^&quot;]*)&quot; character=&quot;&quot; job=&quot;Director&quot;</expression>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;credits&gt;\1&lt;/credits&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression repeat="yes">&lt;person.*?name=&quot;([^&quot;]*)&quot; character=&quot;&quot; job=&quot;Author&quot;</expression>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;actor&gt;&lt;name&gt;\1&lt;/name&gt;&lt;role&gt;\2&lt;/role&gt;&lt;/actor&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression repeat="yes">&lt;person.*?name=&quot;([^&quot;]*)&quot; character=&quot;([^&quot;]*)&quot; job=&quot;Actor&quot;</expression>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;actor&gt;&lt;name&gt;\1&lt;/name&gt;&lt;role&gt;\2&lt;/role&gt;&lt;thumb&gt;http://\4\5&lt;/thumb&gt;&lt;/actor&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression repeat="yes">&lt;person.*?name=&quot;([^&quot;]*)&quot; character=&quot;([^&quot;]*)&quot; job=&quot;Actor&quot; id=&quot;([0-9]+)&quot; thumb=&quot;http://(.*?)_thumb([^&quot;]*)&quot;</expression>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;url cache=&quot;tmdb-$$2.xml&quot; function=&quot;GetTMDBThumbsById&quot;&gt;$$3&lt;/url&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression/>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp conditional="fanart" input="$$1" output="&lt;url cache=&quot;tmdb-$$2.xml&quot; function=&quot;GetTMDBFanartById&quot;&gt;$$3&lt;/url&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression/>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp conditional="dtrailer" input="$$6" output="&lt;url function=&quot;GetDTrailerLink&quot;&gt;http://en.dtrailer.com/movies/search/\1&lt;/url&gt;" dest="5+"> 
				<RegExp input="$$4" output="\1-" dest="6"> 
					<RegExp input="$$1" output="\1" dest="4"> 
						<expression>&lt;name&gt;([^&lt;]*)&lt;/name&gt;</expression> 
					</RegExp> 
					<expression repeat="yes">([a-zA-Z0-9]+)</expression> 
				</RegExp> 
				<expression/>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;thumbnail&gt;\1&lt;/thumbnail&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression>image type=&quot;poster&quot; url=&quot;([^&quot;]*)&quot; size=&quot;cover&quot;</expression>
			</RegExp>
			<RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;backdrop&gt;\1&lt;/backdrop&gt;" dest="5+">
				<expression>image type=&quot;backdrop&quot; url=&quot;([^&quot;]*)&quot; size=&quot;poster&quot;</expression>
			</RegExp>
		</RegExp>
	</GetDetails>
        <GetTMDBFanartById dest="4">
                <RegExp input="$$5" output="&lt;details&gt;\1&lt;/details&gt;" dest="4">
                        <RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;url function=&quot;ParseTMDBFanart&quot; cache=&quot;tmdb-images-tt\1.xml&quot;&gt;http://api.themoviedb.org/2.1/Movie.getImages/de/xml/c014e6cf75cea3567bc035b5c9d2c5c6/tt\1&lt;/url&gt;" dest="5">
                                <expression>/tt([0-9]+)</expression>
                        </RegExp>
                        <RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;url function=&quot;ParseTMDBFanart&quot; cache=&quot;tmdb-images-\1.xml&quot;&gt;http://api.themoviedb.org/2.1/Movie.getImages/de/xml/c014e6cf75cea3567bc035b5c9d2c5c6/\1&lt;/url&gt;" dest="5">
                                <expression>&lt;id&gt;([0-9]*)&lt;/id&gt;</expression>
                        </RegExp>
                </RegExp>
        </GetTMDBFanartById>
        <ParseTMDBFanart dest="5">
                <RegExp input="$$2" output="&lt;details&gt;&lt;fanart&gt;\1&lt;/fanart&gt;&lt;/details&gt;" dest="5">
                        <RegExp input="$$1" output="&lt;thumb&gt;\1&lt;/thumb&gt;" dest="3">
                                <expression noclean="1" repeat="yes">&lt;backdrop[^&gt;]*&gt;(.*?)&lt;/backdrop&gt;</expression>
                        </RegExp>
                        <RegExp input="$$3" output="&lt;thumb preview=&quot;\2&quot;&gt;\1\3&lt;/thumb&gt;" dest="4">
                                <expression noclean="1,3" repeat="yes">&lt;thumb&gt;(.*?)url=&quot;([^&quot;]*)&quot; size=&quot;thumb&quot;(.*?)&lt;/thumb&gt;</expression>
                        </RegExp>
                        <RegExp input="$$4" output="&lt;thumb\1&gt;\2&lt;/thumb&gt;" dest="2">
                                <expression repeat="yes" noclean="1">&lt;thumb([^&gt;]*)&gt;.*?url=&quot;([^&quot;]*)&quot; size=&quot;original&quot;.*?&lt;/thumb&gt;</expression>
                        </RegExp>
                        <expression noclean="1">(.+)</expression>
                </RegExp>
        </ParseTMDBFanart>

</scraper>