Metadata

Is there anyone that knows much about the metadata aspect of this model? I have it working fine with movies but TV shows are all over the place. If anyone can comment on how to change the metadata source or how to manually edit the tags it would be appreciated. Is there a way of getting the metadata from another source through the interface?

What do you mean by “All Over the place?”  And what do you mean by editing the tags?

I have over 1300 TV episodes … the SMP scored 99% on the metadata scraping.

There is only one metadata source built-in:   thetvdb.com.

The tags for the TV shows display images of some Indian show & foreign writing. If I can manually edit the metadata I should be fine. I would presume that I could edit the metadata on my computer.

Yes, you can.   I use Microsoft XML Notepad  (Free download at microsoft) to mess around with the XML.

But I would recommend you fix the problem at the SOURCE instead of monkeying with the metadata…

Just make sure the file name UNIQUELY MATCHES a show ID at   www.thetvdb.com.

Can you give me an example of a file name that did NOT match correctly?

With regards to movies I have one “Human Traffic” that displays the text but not the folder artwork. The artwork shows up in some of the views but not the large view. I will look at the TV shows & get back to you. 

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Yes, you can.   I use Microsoft XML Notepad  (Free download at microsoft) to mess around with the XML.

But I would recommend you fix the problem at the SOURCE instead of monkeying with the metadata…

Just make sure the file name UNIQUELY MATCHES a show ID at   www.thetvdb.com.

Can you give me an example of a file name that did NOT match correctly?

Tony. Did you add the thetvdb.com meta-source to the WD. Mine has a default of  http://www.themoviedb.org/

mazeeff wrote:

Tony. Did you add the thetvdb.com meta-source to the WD. Mine has a default of  http://www.themoviedb.org/

No.   thetvdb.com is the default metasource for Television Shows, and themoviedb.org is the default metasource for movies.

manc01 wrote:

With regards to movies I have one “Human Traffic” that displays the text but not the folder artwork. The artwork shows up in some of the views but not the large view. I will look at the TV shows & get back to you. 

This is a different issue;   there’s a bug in the artwork handling that creates the scaled images for use in the various themes.   This same issue exists on the HUB right now.

OK the metadata & artwork that keeps showing up says 2012 - Das Jahr Null Season 1, then episodes 1, 2, 3 etc. This is the same across many files. The artwork for that name also shows up continually across these files. 

… and what are the names of the FILES that get assigned this metadata?

This happens to me as well, exact same as described. I read up over on tvdb forum that they use htpc standards. Does wdtv live use htpc?

Anyway, this happens with gossip girl and hart of Dixie to name just two. Format is show name - sxex (x being the season number I.e. 01 or episode number ie 05).

Example: hart of dixie - s01e05.avi

“HTPC” is a general term  “Home Theater PC.”    …and TVDB doesn’t use ANY standard.   Their DB API is very loose, which can be a good thing, depending on the application trying to use it…

It’s the WDTV that has to sort through the file name and figure out how to convert it to an exact SHOW NAME / SEASON / EPISODE and uses that to make an API call.

As far as the WDTV is concerned, I think what you might mean is “XBMC” standards.   

And yes, the WDTV very closely mimics the naming convention of XBMC.

Try naming it like this:

Hart of Dixie.S01E05.avi

(Note the spaces, Capitalization, etc.)

I had this EXACT same thing happen with NINE episodes of a 4-season show.  and I figured out exactly what the issue was … and yes, it match to “Das Jahr Null,” just like the OP.

I had the show named:

The.Big.Bang.Theory.S01E1.mkv

thru

The.Big.Bank.Theory.S01E9.mkv

interestingly enough, shows 10 and higher matched perfectly.

The issue was the ONE DIGIT Episode.

I changed the files to

The.Big.Bang.Theory.S01E01.mkv (etc.)

and they all re-matched perfectly.

Further, I think I know *WHY* this happens.   If the database returns ZERO hits for a match, it may return the result “null”, meaning an “empty set.”   If the WD interprets that as a LITERAL, then it tries to match the word “Null.”   And guess what?   “Das Jahr Null” is the first hit on that name.