Medialibrary forgets the allready indexed NAS'es and does not update if there are new Files

I have 4 NAS’es with each 18TB(RAID5 15TB useable, was 12/10 before, was upgraded shortly to 3TB Disks…), first it takes Hours to index them, then the HUB forgets the allready indexed ones and reidexes them everytime i power on the Device (remember i have to switch it off because of the HDMI standby Bug!) but the worst is if i copy new Files to the Folders i can’t see them?! Sometimes a Message is displayed that if i copied new FIles it will take some Time to blah blah blah, sorry but if the Hub knows there are new Files and can display this Messages, why not update the Folder?

Because its totaly useless this Way i switched off the Medialibrary now because of that.

Also the Username/Password for Netshares can not be Empty, why? I have set up the NAS’es to allow Readonly Access for Guests to the Moviefolders, this means noUsername and noPassword, strangely this works on the WD TV LIVE but not on the WD TV LIVE HUB also the HUB lost the Ability to use NFS why?

Can it be that WD TV LIVE connects to NFS and the WDTV LIVE HUB is only able to use CIFS? Well but is so, then it can’t use CIFS correctl too, because there a empty USERNAME and PASSWORD is the normal way to connect and not ANONYMOUS as Username… However it works for my but the NASes are reporting failed Anonymous first then allows it, but who knows if all NASes acts this way, some do perhaps not…

As stated in previous message, there’s something wrong with your box, as in STANDBY MODE, the Hub DOES shut off the HDMI port.

If your NAS doesn’t accept the credentials of “Anonymous” with no or any password then it’s not set up right for GUEST.

None of the WD devices use NFS.

BLANK userid and BLANK password is NOT the normal way to log into a Samba share as GUEST.

Go read the SAMBA FAQs.

As stated in previous message, there’s something wrong with your box, as in STANDBY MODE, the Hub DOES shut off the HDMI port.

Yeah , and the WD Support written my now, switching off the Device is currently the only Solution for that Bug, and it will perhaps be fixed in one of the next Firmware, so it is known and it does not Shut off the HDMI!

If your NAS doesn’t accept the credentials of “Anonymous” with no or any password then it’s not set up right for GUEST.

Wrong, True Guest access is NO USERNAME and NO PASSWORD, don’t know where Anonymous comes from, certainly not for correctly set Guestaccess, on my professional NASes Anonymous is a Group for the Webserver not for CIFS…

None of the WD devices use NFS.

BLANK userid and BLANK password is NOT the normal way to log into a Samba share as GUEST.

Strange, the WD TV LIVE never asked for Username/Passwords also the NAS never reported anything about Anonymous and it seems the WD TV LIVE was able to use NFS, well…

Go read the SAMBA FAQs.

Don’t need too, in know its wrong! Even Windows don’t send any Username/Passwords to login on a such Share…

Strange, the WD TV LIVE never asked for Username/Password

It absolutely does!  The Login Process for the Live / Live+ / Live Hub are IDENTICAL.   If you have never been prompted for a user id before, it’s because the configuration option “Auto Login to Network Shares” is ENABLED, and you already defined the credentials.   If you never gave credentials, it’s using Anonymous/(blank), just like the Hub.

Have a look here:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html#MAPTOGUEST

On a SAMBA SERVER, GUEST accounts are OFF by default, meaning you cannot get guest priviledges to ANY share in SAMBA.

To enable GUEST accounts, one only has to put three lines in the smb.conf

security = user  (not strictly mandatory, but required in the context of the next two statements.)

map to guest = Bad User

guest account = xxxx

where xxxx = the user account on the NAS, not the User Name provided by the client.

Bad User means that ANYTHING provided by the client that is NOT a real user will be considered a GUEST.

So ANONYMOUS will work, so should LKA081JL2A unless those usernames actually exist on the NAS in REAL or MAPPED form.  

The name “ANONYMOUS” does not need to defined ANYWHERE on a Samba Server with GUEST access enabled.

If the username ANONYMOUS is required by the SMB server, then that’s not actually GUEST access, that’s a specific user or mapped user to the actual account named ANONYMOUS on the host system.

>>> on my professional NASes Anonymous is a Group for the Webserver not for CIFS

“Professional NAS?”  What’s that mean?   99% of non-windows-OS NAS boxes are running SAMBA.   The fact that you call it “Professional” doesn’t mean anything.  100% of the operation of the box is defined by the smb.conf file, and doesn’t have anything to do with being “Professional” or not… :wink:

Even Windows don’t send any Username/Passwords to login on a such Share

Where are you getting this from?   Windows MUST send SOMETHING, or it’s opening up a “NULL SESSION,” which has very specific ramifications that have NOTHING to do with GUEST ACCESS.

You might be interested in reading this SECURITY ADVISORY regarding Null Session vulnerabilities.

http://www.brown.edu/cis/information_security/CIRT/help/netbiosnull.php

By the way, I just did a half dozen Wireshark captures, and EVERY TIME, Windows used [COMPUTERNAME]/AccountName for the login to my anonymous shares.

It is possible to Login w/o a username and password if Access is granted to Everyone, providing one works too but will result in an Error for the specified User if this User is defined, this is why it should be possible to be empty, i just testes Win2k and it does send an empty username and password and connects on such shares without any Problem.

And for the WD TV LIVE, i never was prompted for any never defined anything, this is the Reason i supposed first it used NFS or also sends an empty username and password because i never got any " cannot login User Anonymous, lged in as Everyone" Logentry there.

So something has changed between WD TV LIVE and the WD TV LIVE HUB concerning Login to Shares.

And the HUB send the String “Anonymous” if i empty it  it is replaced again with the String “Anonymous” but the User “Anonymous” is defined for the Webserver so the Logentry is logicaly. Not every NAS will then skip it then and login as Everyone anyway, some may just try the Username and fail then.

And Professional NAS means it is Business Grade not like an cheap D-Link DNS-320 that is not idended for Company but for Home use only. But the D-Link too reports an Error with User “Anonymous” even if there the Shares doesnot allow Guestaccess but are set to Everyone, the Mechanism is the same.

I simply want to be able to empty it eg. if i empty it then it should b empty and not replaced automaticaly with “Anonymous” if i choice to empty it then the Hub has to accept it and not making what he wants and simply ignoring my entrys!

And this Thread is for the Problem with the forgotten Indexing and not for the Anonymous Thing anyway… :wink:

The Problem here is, it forgets allready indexed NASes and reindex them everytime i access them, however Medialib is disabled anyway now because of the other Problem.

tm9ZL34UhIf68B2 wrote:

And this Thread is for the Problem with the forgotten Indexing and not for the Anonymous Thing anyway… :wink:

The Problem here is, it forgets allready indexed NASes and reindex them everytime i access them, however Medialib is disabled anyway now because of the other Problem.

The Hub does not actually forget the indexing.   It’s RESCANNING.   It has to scan again to see if anything changed, but the result is still the same…  it takes a while.

But on the other point.   

If you read the details of what I said, you can use ANY USER ID that doesn’t actually exist and you’ll get GUEST ACCESS, at least on the QNAP.

So if ANONYMOUS is being confused with a webserver process, then you can use something else, like “GUEST” or something real easy like “X”.

ANY undefined user is mapped to GUEST on a QNAP.

Yeah, but this Rescanning suxx, because i got a Message once form the Hub like “Can’t find File, if you have updated currently it ma take some Time” but it does nothing, why it displays a such Message but does not instantly scan the actual Folder? Unlogicaly, if the Hub knows somthing has changed, then it should please rescan that Folder realtime.

Well, anyway for me the full Medialibrary is not really usefull like it is now, all the reindexing and Metadata retrieve Thing is too broken actualy, so i do the Pictures and XML myself and hope it will use them correctly in future. This combined with a Search without the need of the hidden SQL Database and i would be just happy.

Of Course i need the HDMI Standby Thing fixed, so that i can let it in Standby, then perhaps i will try the Medialib again, but before that it will remain disabled!