Mediafly and the WDTV Live

HERE is a page on the Mediafly site that tells how to link the WDTV Live to Mediafly. If you click the button “Link Device,” you’ll see a pop-up with these instructions:

Here is how to link your WD TV Live to your Mediafly account so that you can get all of your pnalized Mediafly channels.

1. Launch the Mediafly application by choosing Internet Media as the content source
2. Select Mediafly from Internet Media choices
3. Select My Channels 4. Select “Sign In”
5. Here you have two choices to associate your account to your WD TV Live:
a) Enter your Mediafly ID/Email and Password on your WD TV Live
b) Enter the Association Code provided by your WD TV Live in the Link My Device box below.

Enter association code below:

So I tried it out on my WDTV Live, but I don’t have “Internet Media” as a content source, so I couldn’t get past step 1.

Is this something I will be able to do after installing the Beta firmware, or the final release that is based on the Beta? Or should Mediafly’s page say this pertains to the WDTV Live PLUS?

TheTooleMan wrote:

HERE is a page on the Mediafly site that tells how to link the WDTV Live to Mediafly. If you click the button “Link Device,” you’ll see a pop-up with these instructions:

Here is how to link your WD TV Live to your Mediafly account so that you can get all of your pnalized Mediafly channels.

1. Launch the Mediafly application by choosing Internet Media as the content source
2. Select Mediafly from Internet Media choices
3. Select My Channels 4. Select “Sign In”
5. Here you have two choices to associate your account to your WD TV Live:
a) Enter your Mediafly ID/Email and Password on your WD TV Live
b) Enter the Association Code provided by your WD TV Live in the Link My Device box below.

Enter association code below:

So I tried it out on my WDTV Live, but I don’t have “Internet Media” as a content source, so I couldn’t get past step 1.

Is this something I will be able to do after installing the Beta firmware, or the final release that is based on the Beta? Or should Mediafly’s page say this pertains to the WDTV Live PLUS?

You have to have a WDTV Live plus or a WDTV Live with the latest beta firmware.

1 Like

I’ve got both the Live and Live Plus (or “Live+” since that’s slightly quicker to type and read!).

MediaFly is working in both the Live Beta firmware (1.03.22) and the most recent firmware for the Live+ (1.03.29_B).

I can access my MediaFly account (free) from both.  

The Association Code method worked great for the Live+ as that was my initial test of MediaFly.  

Tried the MediaFly ID/Password method for the original Live and that also worked.

I know you’re wary of trying the Beta but it works fine for me (YMMV!).  MediaFly should be making an appearance in the next official Live firmware since it’s now advertised as a feature in the Live’s marketing.

And if you do try the Beta… try hooking up a USB keyboard.  Makes MediaFly and YouTube a lot easier to navigate and search.  ;)

Yes I got the Mediafly to work but really is there anything (content wise) there that you can’t get from YouTube?

I mean who the heck are Mediafly? They don’t even carry movie trailers?

Look at what Viewsonic and D-link are puttting on the market at lower cost.

The keyboard support  made me smile.

I just can’t understand  the WD investment cost justification behind building into FIRMWARE ???Mediafly???

Well, I AM wary of the Beta, and don’t have a pressing need for what Mediafly offers, so I’ll wait for the final release that contains Mediafly and hope it doesn’t mess up my Live.

NYTEMAYR wrote:

Yes I got the Mediafly to work but really is there anything (content wise) there that you can’t get from YouTube?

I mean who the heck are Mediafly? They don’t even carry movie trailers?

Look at what Viewsonic and D-link are puttting on the market at lower cost.

The keyboard support  made me smile.

I just can’t understand  the WD investment cost justification behind building into FIRMWARE ???Mediafly???

Well, with Mediafly you can watch any video podcast you find on the internet. You can’t do that with YouTube. For example all the Revision3 production, such as Diggnation. You can control everything with custom RSS files. Something you can’t do with YouTube.

NYTEMAYR wrote:

Yes, millions of podcasts and vodcasts. But you have to find the rss feeds and add it.

How do you then access those RSS feeds?

I added one ( http://revision3.com/diggnation/feed/MP4-Large) but it doesn’t show up in My Channels…

-UPDATE-

Oh, I see.

You add the RSS feed URL using this page here:

http://www.mediafly.com/Tools/FeedImporter.aspx

Then once it has added them, click on the generated link, e.g.

Your RSS feed is:   http://revision3.com/diggreel/feed/MP4-High-Definition

MediaFly creates:   http://www.mediafly.com/Podcasts/Feeds/The_Digg_Reel_HD_MP4

Possibly a bad example as the Digg Reel generates MP4 files that don’t work on the Live but you get the idea.  :)

You are auto-subscribed to RSS feeds you add (click the Continue button), they should appear in your General channel but you can move them to another folder.

1 Like