Media Server, Network Shares, Tversity - Which one to use

i just purchased a WD TV Live and trying to figure out the bes way to set it up. From what i can tell after reading the posts i have 3 options - Configre the WDTV as a media server, share folders on my harddrive (net shares), or use TVersity.

Is there a link to an article that covers this topic?

What are the pros and cons for each type?

Do i lose any video or audio quality using one over another?

I have been using media sharing through Windows Media Player 11 and it works great.

All you need to do is connect the WD Live to your network and turn it on.  Make sure you get an IP.

Then on you PC lauch WMP 11 and go to tool options Library tab. 

Allow the WD LIVE TV  to have access.

Cofigure sharing and then select the folder you want to share.

Its that easy.

I think network shares more secure but you need to supply User/pass info.

And TVersity is more for encoding on the fly.

Ive been using this method for years with my xbox before getting the Live and now with the live I can stream HD content beautifully.

i looked but cannot figure out what to click to open the library tab to allow access.

For the configure sharing and select forlder is this inside WMP or using the windows explorer?

AddictedtoKaos wrote:

I have been using media sharing through Windows Media Player 11 and it works great.

All you need to do is connect the WD Live to your network and turn it on.  Make sure you get an IP.

Then on you PC lauch WMP 11 and go to tool options Library tab. 

Allow the WD LIVE TV  to have access.

Cofigure sharing and then select the folder you want to share.

Its that easy.

I think network shares more secure but you need to supply User/pass info.

And TVersity is more for encoding on the fly.

Ive been using this method for years with my xbox before getting the Live and now with the live I can stream HD content beautifully.

And you will be back to this board when you find the list of files that WMP will not pass to the WDTV. If you do not have a network shares user / password then you don’t need to supply one, you just use the default and click OK.

TVersity can encode or not depending on what  its streaming to, it was designed for units that can only play a small range of files, which does really apply to the WDTV.

hawk102 wrote:

i looked but cannot figure out what to click to open the library tab to allow access.

For the configure sharing and select forlder is this inside WMP or using the windows explorer?

The poster is referring to Windows media player which can be set up as a media server. Open media player and press the library tab at the top. You can select media sharing etc.

There are other Media Servers out there as well, I use Twonky with my Live and it works beautifully (after I got rid of my IP conflicts but thats anothr story)