Media Player turns off after viewing a video which is longer than 3hrs

I have my media player turning off after viewing a video which lasts longer than 3 hours. Always have to reset the device and begin searching where I left off. Very frustrating.
Can anyone help and I have tried to change the energy savings settings but doesn’t change anything.
My firmware is 1.02.17

Maybe there is a bad spot in the video at the time it stops and has nothing to do with the player.

The video file works fine on both my other tv and desktop pc, so it has nothing to do with the “bad spot in the video”, which is about 11 hours long and it’s a mpg format video.
No matter where I pinpoint a section of the video, it turns off after 3 hours like clockwork.
I’m from Australia, so do you have a support center here for the call back.

I tested using a 5hr TV-recording in TS-format, and the device played the whole file without problems.

Does it happen for you with another file too?

EDIT:
What kind of file is it specifically?
Can you post a MediaInfo-log?

Hey, I am a user like you only trying to help, I am not “WD”. Get online and find out the answer to your question. BTW, they have a worldwide call center, so if OZ is still in the world somewhere, you can get in touch with them.

Sorry I am new to this, I assumed you were part of WD, my apologies.

The file is a MPEG and it happens to all my video files including mkv’s.
What is a mediainfo-log (excuse my ignorance but I’m a beginner with this technology?)

Follow this how-to: Serviio • View topic - HOWTO: Use MediaInfo to provide details of a file

or this …

General
Complete name : M:\ALIAS VIDEOS COMPLETED- G\ALIAS & OTHERS COMPLETED.mpg
Format : MPEG-PS
File size : 31.6 GiB
Duration : 11h 34mn
Overall bit rate : 6 509 Kbps
Writing library : encoded by TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 6 Version. 6.0.7.19

Video
ID : 224 (0xE0)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@Main
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Format settings, GOP : Variable
Format settings, picture structure : Frame
Bit rate : 6 200 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.598
Time code of first frame : 00:00:00:00
Time code source : Group of pictures header
Stream size : 29.8 GiB (95%)
Writing library : TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 6 Version. 6.0.7.19
Color primaries : BT.601 PAL
Transfer characteristics : BT.470 System B, BT.470 System G
Matrix coefficients : BT.601

Audio
ID : 192 (0xC0)
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 2
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 224 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 1.09 GiB (3%)

Is the video cut off exactly after 3 hours?

There’s a energy-saving-feature in the WD-options under “Operation” called “3 Hours Energy Saving Auto Shut Down”.

I have that disabled, but I assumed if it’s enabled it would not kick while if a video/audio-file is playing.

Maybe that’s the cause for your problem.

If it is, either disable it or make sure you’re pressing any button on the remote every once in a while. :wink:

Personally, what i would do … as a “quick” attempt to fix the file (sure, i know … it plays fine on your PC which almost anything does … even corrupt stuff. WDTV is different, it’s a Hardware decoder and is pretty fussy)

1. Download MKVToolnix ← click it

2. And using MKVMerge GUI from that install … “Remux” it to MKV … this does not re-encode the file, so you won’t lose any video or audio quality

3. It will probably take at a “guess” 15~20 Min ?

4. It will most probably report GOP Headers Errors … have had this with mpg-2 dvr stuff before … just ignore the errors and try playing the newly created/muxed mkv file

example screenshot of what MKVMerge looks like
(just drag’n’drop your VIDEO into “Input Files” then click “Start Muxing”)

No matter where I pinpoint the video using the ‘quick search’ button on the remote, it will go off exactly 3 hours clock work, then to restart the file I have to ‘restart the device’ again and wait for the network to connect again.

Oh by the way the network is “wired” not wireless.

That ‘3 hours energy saving auto shut down’ is on the off position but there is a symbol showing a round half shaped moon below the file, when I am using the remote to press play.

Won’t the mkv file type increase the file size, if it’s more than 11 hours long?

Nope

MKVMerge just remuxes the Video / Audio Codec’s into an MKV Container … no re-encoding, no filesize change

Trust me, give it a try :slight_smile:

Which program do I download, 32 bit or 64 bit?

i don’t know what OS type you’re running :confused:

Assuming you’re running Windows … click Start > Computer [Right Click "Properties] > System Type

and it will show you if you are 32 bit or 64 bit Operating System

Sorry forgot to mention I was talking about the two versions of MKV program but I run on a 64 bit system and it’s Windows 7.
Thanks for your help.

Can you make a photo of this screen with the symbol? I can’t find anything in the manual.
EDIT: Apparently this means that there’s a resume-point for that file.

Have you tried to reset the device completely, reverting it to default settings? Maybe the power-saving is active somehow, although it’s shown as being off in the menu.

What does “resume-point” mean and it happens on all the files I play which I have just noticed.

Yes I have reset the device as per the factory settings and device reset etc.