Media player keeps rebooting

I’ve had my WDTV Live SMP for a few months now and it’s been OK. However for the last 3 weeks or so everytime I switch it on it loads the WD logo, switches off and reboots.

Also I have to manually refresh the “source paths” everytime I want to access my video files. It is set to refresh when on standby…

I’ve rolled back to all the available FW and it’s the same, I’ve now left it on the latest FW.

Any ideas? This is really starting to ■■■■ me off big time.

Are you sure you’re putting it in standby? It sounds like it’s being turned off completely.

Are you completly powering down the SMP (holding the power button for 5 sec) when you turn it off or are you just putting it into standby (just pressing the power button).

If you completely power it down, then this is how the SMP re-starts.  It should not do this from standby.

By “manually refresh the “source paths” everytime I want to access my video files” do you mean scan the media library.  If you are completely powering down the SMP, then you are not putting it into standby and so it will not scan.

From the sound of everything it is doing though, you are doing a complete power down when turn the system off.

@TonyPH12345,

Quit typing so fast. :smileyvery-happy:

Yes, I have been turning it off completely because I don’t like leaving stuff in standby if it’s not being used. 

Personally I think it is a stupid way of starting up… Start, switch off and start again.

Thank you to both of you for helping out. Since Tony typed faster I’ll give him credit.

I don’t think it’s actually rebooting twice during a cold start. I think it’s just re-initialzing the video or something, or maybe just starting up the main SMP software.

zambeezi wrote:

Personally I think it is a stupid way of starting up… Start, switch off and start again.

It’s not.

It’s booting once, and the video output resets during the middle.  

If you pay attention, you’ll notice that the backdrops are different between the two phases.  One has the moon, the other does not.

It also resets the network. Mine is hard-wired, and I can see the Ethernet switch it’s connected to. You can see it turn off for a few seconds.