Media Player heat

Just curious…as a friend of mine who has one says he doesn’t have this issue.  When I play my media player…of course…it heats up a bit to the touch…nothing major…just like a hard drive or something would that’s plugged into a computer…I imagine that is normal.  Ok…but when I turn the power off…it STAYS warm.  It does not cool off.  The only way it will cool down is if I unplug the power cord from the back.   Is this normal?  I’m just wondering b/c I’d imagine that a constant heat would shorten the life of the Media Player?

I have exactly the same problem - when I turn of the player with the remote control, it turns of, however, the heat remains untill it is plugged out of the power.

Even more, when not unplugged from the powe, the player continues to read (or to do  something else) from the connected hard drive or usb.

I hate turning of the power cable every time… Hope somebody can explain and help with this…

That’s because the box still ON even thought the box is off ! if you plug an usb key or My Passport drive you will see it sell turning on ! the box consume as much power when off then on ! 

SOLUTION: Unplug everytime

Yes…I do unplug the hard drive…and I know what your saying…that is what I thought as well.  I assumed it was normal.  But then when I seen others that didn’t have that issue…that’s when my questions concerning the matter came about.  Why wouldn’t they ALL be warm when plugged in??  His is plugged in at all times…and it doesn’t get warm until you turn the power on.

That's because the box still ON even thought the box is off ! if you plug an usb key or My Passport drive you will see it sell turning on ! the box consume as much power when off then on ! 

SOLUTION: Unplug everytime

hi cecemf

yes the unit  is stiil warm after turning off. probably it only cuts off the outgoing signals.

here is a small proposal for people who has excessive heat. just place the unit vertical instead of horizantally. it really reduces some of the heat . this may also be a temp solution for people running the unit for longer times.

1 Like

when  power plug is putting in, player itself get hot.

even if power is off, it is very hot. the player has been designed just like this?

then i always unplug the  power plug. is it normal?

i please am going to ask western digital to solve this problem.

as a kindness,give me idea of remedy above matter.

Is this the case for the GEN 2 series? 

Unfortunately, my TV HD also is heat even on stand by mode. I read somewhere that when in stand by mode, it consumes 3 watt and when it is on, it consumes 5 watt. If the 3 watt is true, this is the reason for the heat, and of course this is an unacceptable amount for stand by devices.

WD please fix it immediately!!!