Media player hangs on files - only way to stop iit s by powering down

I have the same problem. Have gone through 5 different players and they all do the same thing with WD External hard drives…formatted NTFS; they will start to hang on files with that spinning blue wheel going and the only way to stop it is by pulling out the power and restarting.

I’m thinking maybe it has to do with the volumes being journalled. I hope by disabling that it fixes it.

I have had this problem with 5 different players and they all do the same thing with WD External hard drives…formatted Mac HFS; they will start to hang on a file (with that spinning blue wheel going around) and the only way to stop it is by pulling out the power and restarting.

I’m thinking maybe it has to do with the volumes being journalled. Anyone having this problem? I’ve called WD and they have no solution. It can’t be just me.

Or it could be the files.  Use MediaInfo and post the information about one of them.

The other thing you can do is run one of them through Handbrake, using the High Profile preset but change the output type to MKV.  This is the gold standard of compatibility with the Live.

I use Handbrake to encode everything and have lots of Mkv files - it does it with them too.

But how do you encode them?  What preset are you using?

If you are using the High Profile preset (and not changing anything) then try playing them from a USB thumb drive to rule out the drive issue.  Assuming they play fine there, then at least you’ve isolated the issue.

I don’t have any Elements drives, but I do use a variety of local drives (some by WD, some by Seagate, and even one by Toshiba) without any issues (they are formatted either NTFS or FAT).

We recently fixed a bug that caused this behavior. Once we release the new firmware you can try it out and let us know if it still happens.

Thanks for the reply WD staff…I am now using the previous firmware version and have avoided updating to 102.21.  It works fine and doesn’t hang on any files files.

I do miss not having saved Youtube searches and full functionality on M4V files but I can live without them until the new firmware is out.

hope the new firmware fixes the bug and has added features, thanks