Media Library displays all TV Series episodes - I must be doing something wrong?

Apologies if this has already been covered but my searches have come up with nothing…

Model - WDTV Live Streaming Media Player with directly attached 2TB USB drive

I have started to load TV Series as follows (e.g. Kieffer Sutherlands 24)

TV Shows (folder)

—>24 (folder)

------->Series 1 (folder)

------------> 24 S01E01

24 S01E02

24 S01E03…etc

The scraper fetches the metadata and displays it correctly - all seems well.

However…In Media Library view, all the episodes appear as if they were individual films.

This effectively means that if I load up all 8 series, I would have to scroll through 192 covers before I get to movies starting with Axxxxx e.g. Avatar!

This surely cannot be right? I’m obviously doing something wrong here…but what? I would only expect to see 8 top level covers, and then drill down to the episodes?

One other point - it seems to work ok if I turn off Media Library, but then I lose the advantages it provides.

Please help…my wife is bending my ear over this!

Many thanks in advance…

I’ve been banging on about this for ages.

We really need different media libraries for films and TV.

Steve W

Change the filtering to either Folder or TV Shows.

Press the Green button on the remote, Filter >>> Folder or TV Shows.

1 Like

Hi Tinwarble,

Thanks for the response.

I have tried what you suggested and…Yes, it does exactly what I wanted it to do! Simple as that.

Even more - it also stops 2-part movies showing up as two separate items. Excellent!

I just need to get some folder art into the right places so it looks good.

That should make wifey click on my Kudos button   :smileyvery-happy:

Many thanks.

Sorry, how does this solve the problem?

If I filter as suggested I just get TV shows and no films.  If I don’t filter I get each individual film and each individual TV show.

Steve W

Pecker wrote:

Sorry, how does this solve the problem?

Steve W

Well, by apparently doing exactly what the OP wants.   :slight_smile:

Not on my player.

That’s because the solution was specific to the op’s question.

I don’t thinkit does.  The OP said:

_ “This effectively means that if I load up all 8 series, I would have to scroll through 192 covers before I get to movies starting with Axxxxx e.g. Avatar!” _

I don’t see how this issue is solved.

Filter ‘All’ and you still get the mess described above by the OP.

Filter ‘TV Shows’ and you get all the episodes in folders, but no films at all.

How does the solution un-clog the list of films and make Avatar easier to get to?

Steve W

That’s because I think you are misreading the op’s post.  Although he said movies, I believe when he said “_ Axxxxx e.g. Avatar!", _ he was refering to the TV show " Avatar”.  The entire post of the op was refering to TV shows.

Also, as the op stated that this solved his problem, I don’t know were you think it doesn’t.

Because he said:

“… get to movies starting with Axxxxx e.g. Avatar!”

So if you think the OPmeans Avatar the TV series, either you’ve mis-read the post, or the OP has worded it incredibly badly.

And thie problem he describes still remains.

It’s up to the OP to say how the problemis fixed if logic suggests it isn’t.

I have my own solution, but it’s long winded.

I generally only have my films in the library.  Turn the library off, and clear completely (check on a PC that all .wd.tv files are gone, hard power down), then delete all the links to the network shares you want included.  Then add only the TV shows, and scrape.

Now, turn off the media library and completely clear it again, as above.

Re-set your media library, adding your films again.  Turn the library back on.

Now, only the films show in the media library.  But if you go to the folders of the tv programmes in network shares the scraped info is still there.

Steve W

Well, as the OP stated:

"Hi Tinwarble,

Thanks for the response.

I have tried what you suggested and…Yes, it does exactly what I wanted it to do! Simple as that.

Even more - it also stops 2-part movies showing up as two separate items. Excellent!

I just need to get some folder art into the right places so it looks good.

That should make wifey click on my Kudos button   

Many thanks."

Then I think the point is mute since the OP has stated that this solution worked for him and continuing trying to make into more than it is pointless.