Media Info with PlayOn - MyMedia - Hub - Linksheet Theme

If you use a WDTV Hub, PlayOn with MyMedia and linksheets and have wanted for movie info (metadata) to show up it CAN be done. I know this will work with Tinwarble’s Coco Linksheet theme. Dunno about other linksheet themes. Coco uses the linksheets in every view…not sure about how other themes display.

Anyway, you already know you have a linksheet file for Genre folders. It has no file extension but has to be named EXACTLY as the folder the linksheet represents. If its Action then you make a linksheet file Action.jpg and rename it with no .jpg so you end up with a jpg file named “Action”. These files are case sensitive so ACTION vs. Action will cause the linksheet to not display because it’s not named correctly if the folder is Action and not ACTION…

You are also already creating the linksheet with the movie info for your movies. It gets titled exactly as the movie title WITH the SAME extension. i.e. Batman Begins.avi (movie) Batman Begins.avi.jpg (linksheet) but you rename this to Batman Begins.avi and drop it in the theme folder with the above mention genre linksheet.

Now the BIG news:

Well it turns out if you take that movie linksheet (Batman Begins.avi) and wack off the .avi like you do for a genre folder linksheet VIOLA and low and behold it displays the movie linksheet on your Hub! So you already have all the linksheets made for your movies. Just copy those from the theme folder to a new folder use a file renamer to wack off the file extensions then copy them back to the theme folder and you be done! Now when you look at the movies with PlayOn using MyMedia the movie info will be there!

Here’s an example and note the red arrow is indicating PlayOn as the source!

yep, this hasn’t really been discussed at all and probably deserves some more recognition

but yes, I’ve known since prior devices

the way linksheets are used on the hub will work with any source, providing that the name and linksheets match exactly

Yup including virtual folders that get made by servers like Kooraroo too. Need to try it on Twonky next ;) 

I just cant get folder covers to show in the mymedia, yet. Tried a copy of a folder.jpg renamed to the folders name but no luck. 

when I originally found this, I was on serviio, so you can add that to the list of media servers that this works with

maybe a little background

the reason why, WDLXTV always documented linksheets does not work with media servers

is they run a script to adjust the filenames, etc … all on the fly

the script runs on any media which gets mounted to the WD, when it gets mounted

so local media, it runs on boot

network shares, it runs the first time the share gets access

media server’s are not accessed via mounted file system, so the script never runs

but all of this does not prevent what you found, which is manually, adjusting file names and placing the sheets in correct location, still works

Thanks for all the info FLHTHEMI. I can confirm that this does work with Simplicity and PlayOn/MyMedia, but not as well as the CoCo screen shots you have posted. Simplicity only uses the linkhseet in Gallery View, which is a shame since the list view you have in CoCo is awesome for PlayOn. When in list view, the picture that is shown is the cover art, which is fine but you dont get the metadata.

The only real issue I have is that I do not seem to be able to pull over the cover jpegs for folders, just the linksheets. I do get them for the individual movies just using the existing ones I already have with the movies. I have jpeg in each genre folder called “folder.jpg” but that does not come over in any of the views. I tried a few different rename tests (Western.jpg etc) but was not able to find a way to bring it from PlayOn over to the WD. That becomes and issue when you are in a folder that is full of subfolder (genres). I can see the linksheet for the one I have currently selected, but the rest are empty.

Pic below should explain better.Top two are my “western” genre folder, both from the inside (which works great) and from the outside, which is the issue. On the bottom you can see what happens in list view. If it is a movie, you get the cover, if it is a genre folder, you get nothing.

Are either of you able to pull over folder covers over DLNA, or just the associated Linksheet? Can’t tell from the screen snaps if I am missing something or not.

But Now The Real Question. I am checking this out solely due to interest, but in actual useage, I just access these same files over SAMBA. What purpose are you using this for. Why use DLNA to access movies when I can already do this perfectly with a working theme via network share?. Is it just to do it, or is there some advantage to using the media server option over network share? I use PlayOn’s media server to get all sorts of streaming channels, but must be missing the reason to use it for local media. 

-P

pearl wrote:

But Now The Real Question. I am checking this out solely due to interest, but in actual useage, I just access these same files over SAMBA. What purpose are you using this for. Why use DLNA to access movies when I can already do this perfectly with a working theme via network share?. Is it just to do it, or is there some advantage to using the media server option over network share? I use PlayOn’s media server to get all sorts of streaming channels, but must be missing the reason to use it for local media.  

-P

I just tinker around. I made the discovery while messing around with KooRaRoo. Saw it happen so then I wondered what about PlayOn’s MyMedia, might help someone out if it works. Now that I have a MBL, I prefer using it and moved all the files off the Hub’s internal drive.

Yeah I tried getting the folder cover art to show up. No joy…tried renaming the usual folder.jpg to the exact name of the folder…Action (folder) Action.jpg…no luck. But it doesn’t look too bad in List View: Sorry only one genre because I’m just tinkering and that’s all I needed from MyMedia to try this out. Wish I could figure out how to combine the Titan and Coco themes :slight_smile: I like Titan’s way of displaying the settings menu good colors too…( I like blue on the TV)

Cool, well we’re on the same page then, it about the tinkering. :smiley:

-P

pearl wrote:

Cool, well we’re on the same page then, it about the tinkering. :smiley:

-P

Yeah, retarded…uh, RETIRED here got nuttin else to do… :slight_smile:

Yeah, retarded…uh, RETIRED here got nuttin else to do…

Give it up for the retired people here!

Stop it! You are just making us with 20+ years of work to go jealous…:angry:

pearl wrote:

Sorry, still can’t stop celebrating the event 8 years later!   (Oh, did I just say something wrong again?)

Pearl:  Got that PP up and running yet?   (Darn, did it again – You haven’t had time due to work issues, right?)

mike27oct wrote:

pearl wrote:

Sorry, still can’t stop celebrating the event 8 years later!   (Oh, did I just say something wrong again?)

Pearl:  Got that PP up and running yet?   (Darn, did it again – You haven’t had time due to work issues, right?)

Even worse Mike. Now I have that PogoPlug, a SimpleTV and a Slingbox all still in their boxes waiting for time to be opened, installed and tried. This whole “career” thing is really digging into my AV play time…

-P

Now, I wonder when the Hub owners will see a firmware update like the SMP got yesterday. Hummmmmm? 

flhthemi wrote:

Now, I wonder when the Hub owners will see a firmware update like the SMP got yesterday. Hummmmmm? 

You just had to do it eh? Couldn’t help yourself … :stuck_out_tongue: Well, after reading all the angry posts about the SMP upgrade process (though mine went fine) , maybe the HUB is good where it is for the moment. Not sure I can handle any more negative vibes around here.

-P

:smiley: