MBLD - Goal of NAS System - Raid, Backingup/SafePoints, access thru laptop and devices - Questions

I have had the Duo for about a week and it is up and running. From this I have found some issues/questions I have from my previous set up of three external drives and a backup drive. With this:

GOALS:

1. To set up a secure independent, highly reliable and recoverable data storage system where data is accessible through any computer or device.

2. The system shall be redundant for accessing data and have backup capability.

3. The system shall allow streaming of information (music, photos, videos) to devices such as iPads, iPods, apple tv, etc.

4. The system shall not change the format/type of the files in any way.

Planning and organizing the files up front is very helpful and recommended to reduce excessive indexing of folders/files.

QUESTIONS FOR WESTERN DIGITAL DUO SET UP:

Please be specific as I am not that comfortable without seeing the folders/files and don’t want to find out I can’t get to them or they are corrupt when it is too late and need additional software to get them.

1. How can I have continuous updates (“real time” not daily, weekly, monthly) when a WD passport essentials is attached to the back of the WD Book Live Duo?

2. How can I have the passport essentials attached to the back of the WD Book Live Duo and retain a few multiple copies of files like in SmartWare?

3. How can I restore only certain files from the passport essentials attached to the back of the WD Book Live Duo like when SmartWare is used?

4. How do I know that the files are on the WD Book Live Duo Raid system (and at safe points) other than the system saying the drive is “good”?

5. If I attached the passport essential to my computer how can I get the computer to see the WD Book Live Duo Raid and backup the folders and files using SmartWare?

6. I used the passport essentials to back up my computer, I then attached it to the back of the WD Book Live Duo, I do not see the backup of the computer but do see the SafePoints. How do I just get rid of the backup computer folders/files without getting rid of the SafePoints since it is now out of date?

7. I have my iTunes data on the WD Book Live Duo share that is “private”, in order to access it on another computer do I have to have it as “public”?

8. I have my iTunes data on the WD Book Live Duo share that is “private”, in order to access it on an apple TV do I have to have it as “public”?

Thanks.

1. Using SmartWare you can backup to the My Passport connected to the MBLD, it will do automatic backups.

2. Using SmartWare.

3. You need to retrieve the data with SmartWare.

4. You can browse the backups with Smartware and the Safepoints with MBLD UI.

5. The backup can only be seen by SmartWare having the drive attached to the MBLD.

6. Having the Passport attached to the computer you can delete the folder called wdsmartware.swstor.

7. The folder must be Public.

8. Same as #7.

I just wanted to confirm that if I have a MBLD on a wireless network at my home and have my iTunes files in ‘Public’, I will then be able to access and play and watch them from my Apple TV2?