MBLD direct ethernet connection to WDTV Live

Hi there,

I am currently running my WD TV Live and MBLD 4TB with direct ethernet connections to my home router.

Modem ---->  Apple Time Capsule Router -----> connected to both WD TV Live and MBLD via separate ethernet cables.

Previously, when I tried to play 1080p and sometimes 720p videos stored on the MBLD on the WD TV Live they would hang, get choppy, etc.

I rarely have that problem anymore.

However, I am about to replace the old Time Capsule router with a new Airport Express and I’m wondering the two Western Digital devices would communicate properly and at high enoughs speeds if I were to connect them to EACH OTHER via an ethernet cable and let them rely on their internal wifi connectivity for file transfers, Hulu, Netflix, etc.

Any experience with this or thoughts?

Thanks!

nslevin wrote:…> if I were to connect them to EACH OTHER via an ethernet cable and let them rely on their internal wifi connectivity for file transfers, Hulu, Netflix, etc.

You can’t do that.

If the WDTV has a wired-ethernet device connected, the WiFi interface is disabled.

Ok, I see.

What if I wanted to use the two devices specifically for direct, fast, communication between just those two devices?

… to play a video unhindered from the MBLD with the WD TV Live.

Would they communicate via ethernet even if that disabled the wifi?

Thanks

Yes, that can be done… 

Thanks! I’ll give this a try!