MBL2 disconnecting from the network

. . . but what happend when you commect your MBLD and computer via. the router and using only wires?  From your previous message you have determined that when the MBLD is connected directly to te computer by wire, it does not disconnect.  The3 assumptuion here is that the drop-outs are happening when the computer has a wireless connection to the router. So, what happens when the same computer has a wired connection to the router?

It’s a process of elimination to try determine where the issue lies.

Sorry, I misunderstood the instruction.  I’ll have to get another ethernet cable and then test it.

I have a gut feeling it will work fine, but we’ll see.  The problem feelins like the network is timing out, but I can’t see why adding the MBL2 would do this.  

Any other suggestions to try before I get myself to the cable shop? 

It is a necessary trouble-shooting step. In an earlier message you wrote . . .   “When I’m reading from the NAS it’s generally ok, but when I start writing to it I have problems.  My computer losses connection to the NAS and the internet (the warning sign is a ! on the wireless icon).”

I picked up on the fact that your COMPUTER loses connection and the WIRELESS ICON on you COMPUTER shows a warning icon.

So, the trouble shooting step is to remove the wireless connection and try the same with a wired connection.  Computer connected to the router’s switch as well as the MBLD connected to the same router switch so the data is still passing through the router’s built-in switch.

Once connected wired, shuttle a lot of data too and from your laptop to and from the MBLD (through the router) and see if there are any disconnections.

Report back your findings.

I’ve got my fingers-crossed I might have fixed this…

I went into the airport utility to reevaluate the setting for my airport extreme.  Under the following tab - Airport>Wireless there’s a box entitled ‘Wireless Network Options’ that i don’t think I’ve looked in before.  I hit it and it gives the option of setting the ‘WPA Group Key Timeout’ to whatever specs you like - mine had been set to every 60 mins (don’t know how, defaul maybe?).  I’ve now changed it to 60 days (though the options are unlimited).

Since doing that I’ve been online for 3 hours, passed 4GB of music to my MBL2, updated a bunch of content on the MBL2 and run apple imatch against the file on the MBL2 including uploading files without a single drop out.  

I’ll keep an eye on it over the next couple days, and pursue the ethernet connection suggestion if there are any continuing issues.

Good that progress is being made. The WPA Group Key Timeout is a security thing with a wireless connection. If this works fine then set it back to 60 minutes and see if the problem returns.  If it does then set it back to 60 days.

If this fixes things then it’s not a MBLD fault.

Well it’s been 2 days without a drop out, and I pushed some video files to the MBL2 wihtout issue yesterday.  I think I can call it fixed.  I also pushed the MTU back to 1500 yesterday without a problem.  It seems that the MBL2 didn’t play nicely with that particular default setting in the Apple Airport Express.  I assume at 60 days I’ll have a problem, but will just reconnect for another 60 days.

From what you’ve described the MBLD (or you call it MBL2) DI D play nicely.  The problems lies absolutely and squarely between your laptop and Airport router.  The WPA group key has nothing to do with the MBLD as it’s connected to the router by wire.  The WPA group key is to do with wireless data encryption.

Hi,

I’m having a similar problem in my MBLD 4 TB. Every couple of days, while copying something over to it (via wired or wireless), in whatever app I’m in, I get an error saying that “the network name is no longer available”. Inmediatly, copying again, pressing F5 (to refresh the app), or whatever applies, reconnects to it, but it’s like it’s dropping the connection for a milisecond and aborting every software that its accesing it.

It gets pretty annoying, specially because I can’t 100% rely on the operations to finish everytime.

I’m using a new E4200 Cisco router, a freshly formatted Windows 7 x64, DHCP in MBLD but a hand-assingned IP from the router… I don’t know what more to specify to help.

Any clues as what might be going on or what I could do to fix it?

Thanks

What’s the firmware version of rht MBLD?  It is a puzzle bec\usae I got one of those and it simply works.