MBL & Windows Backup

I’m attempting to use Windows Backup with my MBL.  I’m running Windows 7 Home Premium.  I can get to MBL’s web interface just fine.  I have the Workgroup set up to match my PC.  I have Network Discovery turned on.  The WD Discovery utility is running and finds the MBL just fine.  The MBL manual indicates:

Win 7 Backup

1. Click > Control Panel > System and Security.

2. Click Backup and Restore.

3. Click the Set up Backup button and follow the steps in the wizard.

4. When prompted to select where you want to save your backup, click Save on a network.

This is where I have trouble.  There is no option to 'Save on a network".  The only choice i have is to select from the drive list which only shows physical drives.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have the network drive mapped on the computer?

No, does the network backup capability depend on assigning a drive letter?  Based on the instructions, it didn’t appear that would be the case.  Based on the documentation, I was expecting a ‘Network’ option on the backup screen.

I believe that Windows Backup is only supported by the Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate versions.

Tony

That’s right.

A NETWORK DESTINATON is only supported in Pro & Ultimate.

Home & Home Premium can only save to local disks.

@ tonyph12345, this generate a question now, if he dont have Pro or Ultimate, even if he map the drive he will not be able to backup to the network location, or im i wrong?

I don’t think it works that way, either.   Microsoft limits the functionality in order to encourage people to upgrade.   Just like WD. :slight_smile:

I’ll add that I’m not certain about it.   I don’t use Wndows Backup, but I did research it a lot before ultimately deciding to buy Norton Ghost.

Thanks to all for the feedback.  I wish WD would have made that clear in their documentation.  There’s no mention that it only works with ‘Pro’ and above.  That being said, I did try the drive mapping exercise.  Turns out I can’t map a drive either.  Same issue, I presume.  It’s considered networking and only available in the higher versions.  

gblum wrote:

Thanks to all for the feedback.  I wish WD would have made that clear in their documentation.  There’s no mention that it only works with ‘Pro’ and above.  That being said, I did try the drive mapping exercise.  Turns out I can’t map a drive either.  Same issue, I presume.  It’s considered networking and only available in the higher versions.  

no, actually that a completly different problem

It’s not really Western Digital’s responsibility to document the limitations of OTHER vendors’ applications.

Mapping a drive works in every version of windows I know of, but I wouldn’t swear ALL versions do. 

I do know that all versions of Windows 7 sold in the US support it… 

Actually the manual clearly states which versions of Windows is supported for Windows Backup.