MB does not recognise a disk

MB Asus k8v-x-se does not detect disk WD10EZEX. I tried to put jumper on 12 34 56 and 78. Nothing. WD5000AAKS works normally. Bios is the latest: 1501.

1. Do I need a PCI SATA card?
  2. Will system boot from disk if put on PCI card?

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 Like

Hi @schurda

Could you please describe, why you did this and where you have found, what jumper is causes what?
Normally, you don’t need to jumper anything on a drive - except you were told to do it by our Field Engineers (what I don’t think). Please place the full article number here, there are much more letters behind the WD10EZEX.

I checked the Manual of your Mainboard, page 34, the both SATA connectors. Nothing special so far except the fact that they are SATA 1 with 150 MByte/s. But this should be no issue for the drive(s).

Have you checked the SATA cable? Is it OK or maybe broken? What happened if you use the cable from the AAKS?

1. I have tried both cables on 5000AAKS. No problem.
  2. 5000AAKS works ONLY if jumper is on 56 position.
  3. WD10EZEX is not recognised whether it is alone or together with 5000AAKS.
  4. If I connect both, only 5000AAKS i recognised.
  5. Tried with all jumper seetings - no recognition.
  6. Works perfectly on Asus Z97-K.

I do not have any idea. Obviously a mobo problem.

MDL: WD10EZEX-00WN4A0

If so, the best solution is to go any buy a PCI-Card SATA-Controller which enables you to make use of the SATA III speed instead of existing SATA-I.

Hi @schurda

you were right, this is a mainboard related issue - or better internal mainboard SATA drive speed negotitation issue.

I talked with our engineers, result for your WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 is this jumper setting:

So, Jumpers 56 and Jumpers 78 bridged, nothing else!
This causes the drive to work in fixed SATA-I mode.

Everybody else reading here: this is related to this model WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 only!

YESSSS!

It works! A big thank you for your help!

Best regards!

Uroš Čotar

YESSSS!

It works! A big thank you for your help!

Best regards!

Uroš Čotar

1 Like