Maxtor External USB Drive not recognized on WDTV Live Plus

Hello

I have the WDTV Live Plus.  I’m having streaming issues whenever I play MKV files (I have a D-Link USB adapter - I used to have the WDTV plugged right into the router but when I got DirecTV my router moved to another room so I needed to use the wireless adapter)

The streaming issue was bothering me so I tried hooking up my Maxtor One Touch 4 - 500gb external USB powered HD to the WDTV Live Plus

I have tried both USB ports on the WDTV live, and have tried it with the USB adapter and without the USB adapter.   The USB light on the front of the WDTV continuously flashes and when I try and find the external under Media Servers I get “The Device could not connect to the network” message

Under settings for File Management I get “No Storage Present” message

When the HD is plugged into either USB port, the WDTV no longer recognizes the USB adapter either and won’t find my network.

Anyone have any ideas?  I have previously used the Maxtor as my backup drive for both my laptop and desktop Mac computers.

Thanks in advance.

Ethan

aznphan wrote:

I have tried both USB ports on the WDTV live, and have tried it with the USB adapter and without the USB adapter.   The USB light on the front of the WDTV continuously flashes and when I try and find the external under Media Servers I get “The Device could not connect to the network” message

Under settings for File Management I get “No Storage Present” message

When the HD is plugged into either USB port, the WDTV no longer recognizes the USB adapter either and won’t find my network.

Anyone have any ideas?  I have previously used the Maxtor as my backup drive for both my laptop and desktop Mac computers.

Thanks in advance.

Ethan

Some HD’s and WIFi adapters apparently can’t be used together; probably due to the requirement for too much USB power.   Just a theory…

I’ve tried it both with and without the USB adapter plugged into the other USB port.

This HD is only powered by USB power?

I think you might have to add external power to it… the USB power available from WDTVs is often insufficient to drive external HDs.

the Maxtor external HD is self powered. It has it’s own power supply and It does not draw power from the WDTV Live Plus

the only thing I get when I plug it into either USB port on the WDTV Live Plus is the flashing USB light on the front of the unit (WDTV) and then messages that no storage is present.

I have tried other USB sticks and they have worked (a 2gb flash usb flash drive is all I have) I wanted to connect the Maxtor so I can watch the 1080 or 720 MKV files I have without stuttering from the wireless streaming.

just wiped the HD and started fresh.  It is seeing the HD now.