Match video framerate set to on causes reboot

since updating to 1.08.17 if i have ‘match video framerate’ set to ‘on’ the device reboots as soon as i try to play a iso

If the issue is unbearable you can roll back

if certain this issue started happening after the update post it on the issues board

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/idb-p/streaming_issues

I tried this with a handful of DVDs last night (all ISOs) and couldn’t reproduce.

Are your DVDs PAL or NTSC?   All of mine are NTSC.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Are your DVDs PAL or NTSC?

both

@ Wizer

It’s already the second entry there.

@ TonyPh12345

With  “match videoframe rate” set to on in the video-output-options of “Auto”?

If yes, can you upload a tiny sample-ISO which works for you?

schwurbel wrote:

@ TonyPh12345

With  “match videoframe rate” set to on in the video-output-options of “Auto”?

If yes, can you upload a tiny sample-ISO which works for you?

Yes, that’s with AUTO Resolution / AUTO Colorspace / Match Frame Rate ON.

Here’s another datapoint;  Match Frame Rate *should* be irrelevent with NTSC DVDs if your TV is already automatically setting itself to 1080p/60Hz.

NTSC DVD should *NOT* change the frame rate; because all DVDs are to be output at 30fps.  

So let’s compare.

My TV automatically sets itself to 1080p/60 when set as above.

When I start a DVD, it stays at 1080p/60; no Frame Rate match occurs, because it should not change the framerate, at least in NTSC-Land.

When I start a BD Rip or some MKV rips, my TV will switch to 1080p/24 and play normally; when I exit back to the menu, it switches back to 1080p/60.

If your TV is AUTO coming up at something OTHER than 1080p/60 (such as 1080p/50) and you’re playing an NTSC DVD, it may be trying to change to 1080p/60 and failing that, crashes.

Heheh…  No such thing as a tiny ISO.  :)   All of my ISOs are clones of entire DVDs, so the smallest of them is 6GB.  

Any attempt to reduce them in size would, by definition, be changing the structure of the DVD and would make any test irrelevent anyway.

I watched a few more TV shows last night and still don’t see it.

Don’t get me wrong.  I’m not saying that people aren’t having this issue;  obviously some people are.  But it may be quite a trick to figure out why some people are seeing it, and others are not.

I have over 450 ISOs;  it’d take me a LONG time to see how many of them cause this issue; but the random sampling of a dozen or so I did try didn’t cause me any issues.

Question:

I have this problem also. I changed the settings to get it working again (to watch iso’s). I have now these options selected:

AUTO Resolution

AUTO Colorspace

Match Frame Rate OFF

My t elevision can handle 1080/50 , 1080/60, 1080 30p

I put match frame rate to ON because I thought it was the best option. But is it for my television because it can play all formats? I checked a lot of files yesterday and my television says all the time everything is 1080 p , even if I play an old 4:3 format DVD with is definitely not 1080 p.

So, can anyone explain if I need match framerate on ON?

Frame rate only matches framerate.   Not resolution.

Whether you need it or not is completely subjective.   

I never use it;  I only enabled it to test the reports here in this thread, and then I turn it off.   

My TV can handle 1080i 50 Hz and 1080i 60 Hz at highest resolution. If I set up the WDTVLive to AUTO with Auto-Framerate, I get 720p 60 Hz in the menu. So long all is okay, because my TV only has a resolution of 1366 x 768.

But now with FW 1.08.17 I also get a reboot if I try to start a DVD folder (no ISO’s, only the vob’s and ifo’s / bup’s). My DVD’s all have 50 Hz, because I’m in Germany. If AutoFramerate is disabled or video out is fixed to 50 Hz (no AUTO), it works.

please also vote for the problem in the ‘issues’ forum

Hinkel wrote:

My TV can handle 1080i 50 Hz and 1080i 60 Hz at highest resolution. If I set up the WDTVLive to AUTO with Auto-Framerate, I get 720p 60 Hz in the menu. So long all is okay, because my TV only has a resolution of 1366 x 768.

But now with FW 1.08.17 I also get a reboot if I try to start a DVD folder (no ISO’s, only the vob’s and ifo’s / bup’s). My DVD’s all have 50 Hz, because I’m in Germany. If AutoFramerate is disabled or video out is fixed to 50 Hz (no AUTO), it works.

Hmmm.  That could be telling;  that’s not a TV.   That’s a computer monitor. :wink:

I know for certain that WD made some changes to the HDMI handshake code, becuase my TV now comes up at the correct resolution ALWAYS.  It never did before.

Anyone else having this issue using a PC monitor?   Or are others also using an actual TV monitor?

Hm, same here.

TV is 1366x768.

WDTV sets to 1280x720@60Hz.

MFR on* DVD-MENU on → crash

MFR on* DVD-MENU off → no crash

MFR off DVD-MENU on → no crash

MFR off DVD-MENU off → no crash

Tested with PAL-DVDs.

*The framerate isn’t being changed though, so the TV stays at 60Hz during playback of PAL-ISOs.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Hmmm.  That could be telling;  that’s not a TV.   That’s a computer monitor. :wink:

I know for certain that WD made some changes to the HDMI handshake code, becuase my TV now comes up at the correct resolution ALWAYS.  It never did before.

Anyone else having this issue using a PC monitor?   Or are others also using an actual TV monitor?

No, it is a TV. If it were a monitor, I had wrote this. This one is about 6 years old (2006).

Really?? I’ve never seen a TV with that resolution! But either way, that odd resolution may be a at what’s going on… Just looking for a common thread. Any others with this issue care to chime in? Please post make and model of your TV, too.

TonyPh12345 wrote:
Really?? I’ve never seen a TV with that resolution! But either way, that odd resolution may be a at what’s going on… Just looking for a common thread. Any others with this issue care to chime in? Please post make and model of your TV, too.

It is common for a “720p” TV to have a native resolution of 1366 x 768, but the TV should be able to handle 1280 x 720 without trouble. The 1366 x 768 should only kick in with devices that support it, like the XBOX 360, or if you connect a PC to your TV.

Knowing that this resolution is common, it may as well be the cause of this likewise common issue, as you pointed out.

Hmm. May be… None of my older 720p sets did that… I had three of 'em, all different brands. I would think a 768 native pixel resolution screen would look ugly, as everything would upscale to an odd resolution. :). But any way, I’m just wondering if the new HDMI logic didn’t consider those non-TV-like native resolutions in the EDID data from HDMI.

I know that it is common, because I’ve read the specs of many TV models in the past. I’ve also recommended a bunch of users to use an HDMI cable instead of component when connecting their XBOX 360 when their sets have that native resolution. Component only supports 720p; HDMI does support 768p. It does make a difference.

Why are you talking about an odd resolution? In my case, the WDTV is outputting in 720p@60Hz (shown in the info-screen of the TV), the upscaling is done by the TV (Samsung LE22B650).

schwurbel wrote:

Why are you talking about an odd resolution? In my case, the WDTV is outputting in 720p@60Hz (shown in the info-screen of the TV), the upscaling is done by the TV (Samsung LE22B650).

Because your TV’s HDMI port will report to the SMP its native resolution, and the SMP may not know how to handle it in some instances. This is only a theory, of course.

You are confused? The problem is not the resolution. My problem is the auto frame detection, if a DVD has 50 Hz.

Then the player will say goodbye :wink: It plays fine, if I switch auto frame rate to OFF @ 720p 50Hz.

No, my TV (Samsung LE32R73BD) will not report it’s native resolution (1366x768) over HDMI. And yes, this resolution many “HD-Ready” TV’s have. It’s not FULL-HD. There was a time, where 32’’ TV didn’t had a Full-HD-Panel.

But it can scale-down full hd to it’s native res (1366x768).

1080i @ 50 or 60 Hz is maximum it can handle. Because it’s native resolution is 1366x768 the best fitting is 720p and this the wdtvlive player choose. And yes, 1080p is too much for my little samsung.

Here is a short copy out of the manual:

Supported modes
            480i 480p 576i 576p 720p 1080i
50 Hz        X    O    X    O    O    O
60 Hz        X    O    X    X    O    O
Component    O    O    O    O    O    O