Mapped NAS timing out on Win10Pro

My network consists of 2 desktop Lenovos, with A being quite a bit older than B. Both are running Win10Pro, with A (formerly a Win7 machine) running 1903 and B runninng 1909. Until today, both were regularly accessing a mapped MyBookLive (MBL) NAS for file storage. I also have a newer MyCloud NAS that A has been using to back up the MBL. All of this is on a wired network and was working fine.

Today I tried to get B to recognize the MyCloud NAS, but B couldn’t find it. I tried without success to determine what was different between A and B. I then went Googling for possible solutions. On a Microsoft webpage I found the suggestion that Win10 had disablied SMBv1, and older NASes likely couldn’t live without it. Odd, since it was my newer WD NAS that wasn’t working with it, but I tried what was suggested:

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName smb1protocol

That didn’t help, so I disabled it with:

Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName smb1protocol

I then discovered that A and B were both now unable to find the MBL. I broke something, and I don’t know what. I re-enabled SMBv1 on both machines, and A can now reach the MBL, but with long delays, while B times out more often than not when trying to reach the MBL.

Do you have any suggestion for what I might have broken? I’m overdue to back up the MBL to the MyCloud, but I suspect backups will fail with these timeouts.

Thanks for any help!

Its a bit late, but I have had a lot of issues with my WD Live. I was able to get access to mine by going to the Windows File Explorer. Right click on Network. Select “Connect to Network Station”. I selected the drive adress “\mybook” (Yours may have a different adress) and selected a drive name such as z: and used my login credentials after checking both boxes.

It may not work for you, but it did for me. My WD drive denies connection at random frequencies, and it seems like it does it if a certain number of units has connected to it.

Will try to avoid WD in the future since this issue has been unsolved for since I bought it about a decade ago. Which is the best thing about the WD Live. It lives for a long time. Mine has been running since I bought it, with no other issues than one of the most important features for a network drive. Being able to connect to it.

Thank you for your response. I solved the problem of getting access to the data on my MyBookLive (MBL) by using FTP to ■■■■ the data I valued off, and then quit trying to use it. I can still bring up the MBL dashboard, but that seems to be it.

As you indicate, it’s disappointing to have something so reliable that it just keeps running, but have it become unusable due to connection issues. I have since bought a Synology DS218j, which I love. It works solidly, and Synology regularly sends updates. It’s a bit more expensive than the WD products, but it’s worth it.