Maping My Cloud as Network Drive in Linux Mint 16 (HOW DO I DO IT)

Can someone please tell me step by step how I map my MYCLOUD as a network drive, I need to be able to have it map it out every time Linux starts up and i am sure it will require the users ID and PASSWORD to log on to the FTP side. Thank you in advance for the help…

You can’t easily do that… At least, not with FTP…

How else can you do it?

TonyPh12345 wrote:
You can’t easily do that… At least, not with FTP…

I have found this :

Open Nautilus(“File Browser”). File->Connect to server. Choose FTP (with login) and enter the right information and add something in the “bookmark name” field. Then you can access the FTP server, browse it and edit the files directly.

But how do I save it so that Every time I boot up it is already there… So I don’t have to do that every last time!!!

I am sure there is a way to do it… and YES that was easy with the FTP…

Well, presumably you’re using FTP for a reason. Why are you requiring FTP instead of typical CIFS or NFS mounts? (By the way, in Linux, they’re called Mounts, not Maps.)

TonyPh12345 wrote:
Well, presumably you’re using FTP for a reason. Why are you requiring FTP instead of typical CIFS or NFS mounts? (By the way, in Linux, they’re called Mounts, not Maps.)

I did that as I do not know how to create a CIFS or NFS mount. I would be very happy if you can tell me how to make this happen. So I have no need to keep connecting to the drive manually thank you

Since Mint is based on ubuntu, this should get you started.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

TonyPh12345 wrote:
Since Mint is based on ubuntu, this should get you started.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

Its not a windows share… MyCloud is a Linux based drive… Will this work?

Yes.

TonyPh12345 wrote:
Yes.

Can you provide me the step by step directions to do this with a password. I am not seeing this on this page you provided.  not sure what you mean

Thereverend wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:
Yes.

not sure what you mean

Yes, as in YES, the instructions for mounting Windows Shares DOES apply, because that’s what the My Cloud is doing is offering Windows shares.

And yes, those instructions very clearly describe mounting password protected shares.

But, Mycloud is NOT windows based… It is Linux Debian based.

Thereverend wrote:

If you want to keep arguing with me, this’ll be the end of the discussion.  I’ve told you three times that it will work.  This will be four.  Thousands of My Cloud users that use it with Windows systems will tell you the same thing.

It doesn’t matter that the OS on the My Cloud is linux.  The NAS uses  Samba.  Same arrangement as 99% of all NASes on the market.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Thereverend wrote:

If you want to keep arguing with me, this’ll be the end of the discussion.  I’ve told you three times that it will work.  This will be four.  Thousands of My Cloud users that use it with Windows systems will tell you the same thing.

It doesn’t matter that the OS on the My Cloud is linux.  The NAS uses  Samba.  Same arrangement as 99% of all NASes on the market.

I am not arguing, Just saying that the MYCLOUD is a LINUX based OS and my OS is Linux as well. Was not sure how windows fit into the equasion. But I will give the link a try and let you know how it turns out.

The My Cloud NAS, even though it runs Linux, runs the Samba Server suite of software that makes it fully compatible with Windows clients.

Linux Mint (presumably) can also run Samba Client, which makes it fully compatible with Windows Servers.

Another alternative is to use NFS instead of CIFS (which is the protocol used by Samba).

However, given your relative “newbieness,” I would not recommend NFS as it can become a chore unto itself.