Map Remote MBL WITHOUT WebDAV?

I’ve looked high and low in the forum for how to map my 3TB MBL from a remote location without using wd2go.com and WebDAV (and suffering the drive size issues associated with it), but can’t find a succinct description on how to do that in Win7.  It may be here somewhere already, but I would like the step-by-step instructions on manually mapping my MBL from a remote location using Microsoft Windows Network, if possible.

This post ( http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/WebDAV-Primer-Microsoft-vs-WD-My-Book-Live-etc/m-p/576975/highlight/true#M23535) describes%C2%A0describes) some steps for identifying the issue with the NET USE command.  Fine.  It also says to delete and remap the drive (and trying the IP address), but doesn’t say HOW to remap the drive.

I’ve tried several different ways of doing this (NET USE and Windows Explorer) and several different formats of host names, user names, etc. to no avail.

I’m assuming that the IP address would be the outside facing IP of my cable modem, but what are the steps for doing this, including

• do I use ‘Map a Network Drive’ in Windows Explorer or the NET USE command at the command prompt?
  • what’s the host name format?  123.45.67.89@SSL@1234\sharename?  Do I use an HTTPS URL?
  • what domain/username do I use to authenticate?  I assume I need to use some credential from the MBL, either the admin account or the account for that share, yes?

Anyway, I’d appreciate some assistance with this.  If it’s already posted here and I missed it, please shoot me a link.

Thanks!

Two options which I use and are happy with:

1. AccessBook from FeaturesPackManager highlevelbits

2. ownCloud

So this requires a third party solution?  Can’t just be mapped in Windows?

set up a VPN on your local network, then use a VPN client on your remote Windows computer to access teh local network.  Then you will be able to map a network drive (the MBL) just as if you are physically local.  Thought the VPN is encrypted, so depending on the processors doing the encryption, it will slow things down considerbly.  That’s why i suggested the other two options.

The fact is that you want SECURE remote access. That means you need some kind of software to do teh SECURING.

TJNoffy wrote:

This post ( http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/WebDAV-Primer-Microsoft-vs-WD-My-Book-Live-etc/m-p/576975/highlight/true#M23535) describes%C2%A0describes) some steps for identifying the issue with the NET USE command.  Fine.  It also says to delete and remap the drive (and trying the IP address), but doesn’t say HOW to remap the drive.

FYI, that guide you point to is for users that are mapping LOCALLY, not remotely.

OK, I’ll look at the third party solutions or VPN.  Yeah, I was thinking that the other post was in regard to remote access since he makes a point of saying that WebDAV is a necessary part of the wd2go platform, which I understand to be for remote access, but he may be talking about local access.

Thanks to all!