MAP Network Drive

Is it possible to MAP mycloud as a Network Drive in Windows?

Not the whole thing, you can map each share as an individual drive.

Yes.

If you haven’t done so already, read the My Cloud User Manual (https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=904) which explains how to use the My Cloud and its features/options.

Those instructions only work if you have a username and password set up on the mycloud device. Our users are set up with access via mycloud.com. Is it possible to give mycloud.com users access to map the device as a network drive?

That was one critically important part left out of your initial post. :grin: Officially there is no method to allow one to securely remotely map a My Cloud to a computer in a remote location. WD removed the capability to remote map a My Cloud through the WD2Go.com (now know as MyCloud.com) two years ago. They have NO plans on bringing that capability back.

You have a couple of options. Use the insecure FTP method for remote access and to try and remote map a My Cloud. Note that using FTP the user name and password are sent unencrypted. There are a number of past discussions on attempting remote access using SFTP or SSH that can be found using the forum search feature (magnifying glass icon upper right). Or one can setup a VPN tunnel between the My Cloud and remote computer. One can search the internet to find out how to setup a VPN client/server on their network to allow access to the My Cloud and allow mapping similar to when a computer is connected to the local My Cloud network.

Yes. I realise this was critical info but I’m new to myCloud and getting to grips with it.

Is anybody feeding back to WD how poor this development (i.e. removing drive mapping capability from mycloud.com) makes their solution for small business use?

I am actually on the same LAN as the myCloud box but the myCloud.com access is used because it is far more usable (for example it allows users to retrieve forgotten passwords).

Plenty of complaints on this forum.

But WD simply do not care.

I feel your pain. I bought 3 of these devices for the same reasons you did. They will soon be on eBay.

Very strange business model. I shall avoid WD products in the future

The single bay My Cloud is generally marketed towards the home use not to business users. The multi bay units are more geared to business use.

This is primarily a user to user support forum. There have been numerous past complaints about WD removing remote mapping and pleas to bring it back.

https://community.wd.com/t/re-enable-remote-drive-mapping-through-mycloud-com/134944

Yes. I saw the old thread but it had been closed for a while and I wondered if WD had seen sense.

The division between home and small business is pretty non-existent these days. I think it is bad business to annoy a huge part of your customer base because they should have realised these units were not aimed at them.

This is not a good idea. Repeat after me-- This is not a good idea.

That said, it is possible to mount NFS mounts in windows as drive letters.

It is also possible to get the MyCloud’s NFS daemon to use static ports so that they can be routed over a firewall.

Now, once more, with feeling. THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA. WE DONT ALLOW THE INTERNET AT LARGE TO ACCESS OUR FILE SHARES, BECAUSE THAT IS DUMB, AND IS HOW YOU GET RANSOM-WARED, OR WORSE.

What should you do instead? Use a VPN, then connect to the mycloud at your remote location over the VPN tunnel. Use a good VPN that does full transport encryption, with 2 factor auth. Once you do that, you can use SMB over the VPN, and you can mount the shares as if they were local.

I only mention the use of routed NFS mounts for academic completeness, or if you have a multi-homed corporate network that you need to get many subnets worth of users access, who are behind various internal firewalls, and SMB is restricted for “reasons.” (EG, you MIGHT have a legitimate reason to not want or need to set up VPN as the solution. If you want to access the MyCloud remotely as a drive, set up a VPN.)