Malaysian made drives noisier than Thailand made?

I recently had to send back my new Thailand made retail mycloud drive due to the static ip defect which renders the unit unusable if the static ip is inputted incorrectly. A replacement drive I received was Malaysian in origin, and it was noticeably very loud compared to my Thailand retail drive. I think there might be different drives used in units made in different regions. At least, that’s my theory.

I’ve only seen two other threads on this forum about a noisy mycloud drive, but comparing my two drives side by side, I cannot even hear the Thailand drive spinning from across the room, and putting my ear up to it is the only way to barely hear the drive when it is reading/writing.

The Malaysian made drive has a higher pitched louder spinning platter-at-idle tone, and reading and writing noise is much more “crunchy” if you will. I can hear the drive reading/writing clearly in a quiet room from 10ft away. The Thailand drive is essentially silent during read/write. Has anyone else noticed this difference between units? You would need to have both side by side to compare, like I did, but it’s very obvious.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Noise-from-MyCloud/m-p/627841/highlight/true#M2035

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/My-Cloud-4-TB-is-very-loud/m-p/657235/highlight/true#M4486

1 Like

@ Vort11,

I had both of them, I have not much noticed between the two, because I had the Malaysian for 1 week and it went bad, the Thailand one is working nicely with a few things not. Which I have made posts for here.

What I did notice was in the smell between the two, the Thailand one smells different than the Malaysian one. Don’t know why.

Another thing I noticed is that the Thailand one the sticky transparent plastic that came on the cover of the My Cloud had debris under it as if they dropped the sticky plastic first on the the floor or elsewhere and then thought, oh well,  lemme just stick it on anyways. It’s not bothering the drive itself, but could show that the work environment was not so clean where they were working. But that is just a guess. There is no proof that  that is so, because I have not been where they assemble the drive, but that was my logical explanation.

I have not tried a Static IP, mine is on DHCP and the Router IP assigned to it is by DHCP reservation, so it always gets the same IP address. Which is I think the best thing you can apply on all hardware. Except some hardware that really likes a Static IP address such as a Managed Switch.

Vort11 wrote:

I recently had to send back my new Thailand made retail mycloud drive due to the static ip defect which renders the unit unusable if the static ip is inputted incorrectly. A replacement drive I received was Malaysian in origin, and it was noticeably very loud compared to my Thailand retail drive. I think there might be different drives used in units made in …deleted some text…

Could you explain what this defect is?

Wouldn’t a factory reset/restore bring the drive back to the way it was originally?

gewilli wrote:

Vort11 wrote:

I recently had to send back my new Thailand made retail mycloud drive due to the static ip defect which renders the unit unusable if the static ip is inputted incorrectly. A replacement drive I received was Malaysian in origin, and it was noticeably very loud compared to my Thailand retail drive. I think there might be different drives used in units made in …deleted some text…

Could you explain what this defect is?

Wouldn’t a factory reset/restore bring the drive back to the way it was originally?

See the following threads for more details. Many believe it’s a firmware bug such that reseting the device does to reset the dhcp/static ip settings.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Cant-reset-MyCloud-to-Factory-Default/td-p/613925

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/My-cloud-is-bricked-after-setting-a-static-ip/td-p/648605

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Cant-reset-MyCloud-to-Factory-Default/td-p/613925

To bad that didn’t work.

Pacific_Dollars wrote:

What I did notice was in the smell between the two, the Thailand one smells different than the Malaysian one. Don’t know why.

Interesting observation.   Having worked in Custom Electronics Assembly lines (a LONG time ago), I can explain a few reasons:

• The cases are injection molded somewhere else using equipment that uses different plastic formulas
  • Solder fluxes, pastes and baths used in the PCB component assembly use different compositions.
  • Defluxing / washing solvents can be different; not usually seen in modern assembly though…
  • The inks used on printed materials are different.
  • The inks and varnishes for the printed masks used on PCBs are different
  • The power supply (which is made somewhere else)
  • The network cable (which is made somewhere else) 

… a lot of times the differences aren’t in the point of final assembly / packaging, it’s a mix of all the peieces and parts (packaging, PCBs, Pick & Place components, added-in parts etc.) are made.

Three months later, the same drive from the same final packaging line will probably smell different, too, because the various parts are sourced from differering third parties over time.  

ok, I actually walked over to mine and smelt it… 

and it smells like an old Reader Digest book… go figure :stuck_out_tongue:

Just to update. I received yet another Malaysian made my cloud. This one has about the same idle noise as the Thailand drive, but it’s still a bit louder reading/writing. I can live with it. I still have no clue why there would be such a great difference given that the internal drives (making the noise) should be identical models. I can’t confirm w/out opening it up. Which I won’t do.

You can tell what drives are inside without opening the case.

Just pull a Diagnostic Report from the UI and look at the SMART data.   It’ll tell you the model number and revision of the internal drive.

Ralphael wrote:

ok, I actually walked over to mine and smelt it… 

and it smells like an old Reader Digest book… go figure :stuck_out_tongue:

Unfortunately I have no such book, please could you explain otherwise?